Liqui Moly Synthoil vs Molygen vs Leichtlauf

Yes, hard to beat from an economical standpoint. I used the similar Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 several times in the past. Same as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, VW dealership VAPSoil 0W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30..... More GTL compared to its 5W-30 brothers and lots of Boron. No BMW approvals though.
Spec sheet says otherwise, unless you weren't talking about PP Euro L, in which case...nevermind.

OEM specifications:

• BMW LL-01 (SAE 5W-30, SAE 5W-40)
  • BMW LL-04 (L SAE 5W-30)
spec sheet link

OP Update: Continued thanks for all the responses! Though we have definitely strayed from the original question... what are the main differences between Liqui Moly Synthoil, Molygen, and Leichtlauf?

I decided to give the Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 a try. I ordered it from FCP Euro and paid via PayPal which may translate to free free like TiGeo mentioned. Thanks for that tip! (y)

I'm surprised you're asking this question, since your initial question has
been pretty comprehensively answered by the responses #2, 3, 6 and 7.
What exactly more do you need to know? Yes, we did stray away from
your original question, but only after answering it. If you should have a
further question we'd need to know that question.

I'm surprised you're asking this question, since your initial question has
been pretty comprehensively answered by the responses #2, 3, 6 and 7.
What exactly more do you need to know? Yes, we did stray away from
your original question, but only after answering it. If you should have a
further question we'd need to know that question.
I think he is not re-asking, he says we were little out original question, but he is going to buy Leichtlauf High Tech finally. Not doubts from him.

I think it is good mid level oil, nothing special buy many approvals, so ok :)

Sorry, my post was unclear. I wasn't asking the question again. I was just restating the original question. I do appreciate the responses and they helped me understand the differences between the three. Thanks again!

BMW with DI turbo >> I'd strongly advocate using BMW LL-04 oil
with low Noack numbers, likely making for less IVD and LSPI issues.
LL-04 is what's widely common on these engines in Europe and other
markets. BMW used to recommend LL-01 in the US only due to former
sulphur levels in US fuels which is a thing of the past now. So there's
little to no reason still using BMW LL-01. My recommendations are:

M1 ESP 5W-30 (came with actual BMW LL-04 approval in the past)
Ravenol REP 5W-30 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)
Ravenol RUP 5W-40 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)

I only run REP in my Mini Cooper even though it has port injection.
Currently I'm also running REP in my GTI even though it has no VW
approval. However the GTI is getting Ravenol VMP 5W-30 when it's
getting its oil change done at the dealer as VMP has both BMW and
VW 504 00 approvals. I'd prefer to run REP only as I'm convinced
it's the best LL-04 approved 5W-30 currently available anywhere if
not the best LL-04 at all. Base oil quality (group 4 & 5), HTHS, Noack,
flashpoint and pourpoint numbers along with actual BMW and MB
approvals are pretty much unique. RUP is very similar and just a tad
thicker. It comes with LL-04, Porsche C40 and VW 511 00 approvals.
These oils have 6.X % Noack numbers, while LM Synthoil is 11 %.
I understand demand for BMW LL-01 oil will still be higher in the US
just because most American BMW owners are still used to use LL-01.
However I'm sure you can obtain M1 ESP 5W-30 fairly easy. It's still
one of the best oils for this application even though it lost its BMW
LL-04 approval. If M1 is too boring try Ravenol. Did I mention both
REP and RUP come with a tungsten additive package? Do a google
search for Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324. That perhaps isn't even the only
American ingredient in these German oils.
Sorry to revive an old thread but this is a very informative post. I've been trying to look into the best oil for my G80 M3 with the S58 engine and its hard to find a solid answer. My owners manual still shows the old BMW LL-01 spec but I have heard LL-04 is better with the revised US fuel and DI/Turbo combinations. BMW has also released new LL-14+ and 17+ specs since this post as well.

I was about to just give up and use the factory LL-01 oil and spike it with some esters/moly from Lubegard Biotech but I would much rather find a high quality oil and not play backyard chemist. Would you still recommend the same oil (Ravenol REP 5W-30) for the M3/S58?

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is a very informative post. I've been trying to look into the best oil for my G80 M3 with the S58 engine and its hard to find a solid answer. My owners manual still shows the old BMW LL-01 spec but I have heard LL-04 is better with the revised US fuel and DI/Turbo combinations. BMW has also released new LL-14+ and 17+ specs since this post as well.

I was about to just give up and use the factory LL-01 oil and spike it with some esters/moly from Lubegard Biotech but I would much rather find a high quality oil and not play backyard chemist. Would you still recommend the same oil (Ravenol REP 5W-30) for the M3/S58?
If you are in warranty I would suggest Mobil 1 0W-40, PP Euro 5W-40, or Motul XCess Gen2 (SP version) for S58. BMW still does not allow for LL-04 in the US. This engine is filled with LL01FE in the US, and you can substitute LL01. While there is almost no chance they notice, the S58 is expensive and I wouldn’t want to give them any wiggle room. The mid SAPS oils are not any better anyway. With the API SP transition all the oils I mentioned are great for DI turbo engines. The only advantage of low SAPS is a theoretical reduction in intake valve deposits. No one has conclusively shown they have a big impact on this, and it seems to be dominated by engine and PCV design.

REP is a good oil but I don’t think you can get it anymore in the US (Blauparts is perpetually out of stock). VMP is the next best thing and it’s great but I don’t know that it’s actually better than PP Euro or M1 0W-40.

If you are in warranty I would suggest Mobil 1 0W-40, PP Euro 5W-40, or Motul XCess Gen2 (SP version) for S58. BMW still does not allow for LL-04 in the US. This engine is filled with LL01FE in the US, and you can substitute LL01. While there is almost no chance they notice, the S58 is expensive and I wouldn’t want to give them any wiggle room. The mid SAPS oils are not any better anyway. With the API SP transition all the oils I mentioned are great for DI turbo engines. The only advantage of low SAPS is a theoretical reduction in intake valve deposits. No one has conclusively shown they have a big impact on this, and it seems to be dominated by engine and PCV design.

REP is a good oil but I don’t think you can get it anymore in the US (Blauparts is perpetually out of stock). VMP is the next best thing and it’s great but I don’t know that it’s actually better than PP Euro or M1 0W-40.
Dude had a 110k, 2013 car three years ago. He was on the right track (not the only right track) with the Liqui-Moly products and as long as it meets LL01 spec, he's good to go.

Dude had a 110k, 2013 car three years ago. He was on the right track (not the only right track) with the Liqui-Moly products and as long as it meets LL01 spec, he's good to go.
He didn’t ask about LM. Did you read the post I replied to? I have no idea what you’re talking about. Regardless, I see zero reason to use HC LM with approvals over M1, PPE, or Motul. All 3 look the same or better on paper and are more available and usually less expensive.

He didn’t ask about LM. Did you read the post I replied to? I have no idea what you’re talking about. Regardless, I see zero reason to use HC LM with approvals over M1, PPE, or Motul. All 3 look the same or better on paper and are more available and usually less expensive.
Got it. Your guy is driving a very expensive M3, possibly under warranty and would do well to closely follow BMW specifications. No issue with the other oils you mentioned, although have in recent years been using Liqui Moly in my German cars. My note was going back to the OP's question, which may well be moot at this point.

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is a very informative post.

Thanks.

Would you still recommend the same oil (Ravenol REP 5W-30) for the M3/S58?

Yes, AFTER warranty (and during warranty for European
customers).

M1 ESP 5W-30 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval again)
Ravenol REP 5W-30 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)
Ravenol RUP 5W-40 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)

During the warranty period I'd run LL-01 (not LL-01 FE),
just the usual suspects - M1 0W-40 etc..
Ravenol RSP 5W-30 seems to be borderline impossible
obtainable in the US.

😉

Back