Liqui Moly says 5W30 flows 6x faster than 15W40 at freezing

I don't understand german but how is this possible? Commercial BS?

durchoelungszeiten.gif

I don't want to beat a dead horse but i can't see how there's a real difference at freezing. Maybe there's something i missed? It looks like they should replace "0°C" with "-30°C" or something like that.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but i can't see how there's a real difference at freezing. Maybe there's something i missed? It looks like they should replace "0°C" with "-30°C" or something like that.
0c is 32F aka freezing. A 5wxx vs a 15wxx. Obviously the 5wxx will flow better when cold.

I am waiting for others to chime in but to me it looks like commercial BS.

"Liqui Moly says 5W30 flows 6x faster than 15W40 at freezing"

I doubt 15W-40 is losing that much pumpability at a 0C. Their depiction implies this is in a running engine with a PD pump, but who knows the actual testing methods and details.

Last edited:
But wouldn’t the 15W-40 cause undo stress to the PD oil pump?
PD pumps have a pressure relief valve, so they should be fine and be able to take that condition. It could be that the increased time is also due to the pump going into pressure relief and cutting back output volume to the engine, which means it takes more time for the oil to complete all paths in the oiling system.

See post #39. for exemple, if an owner's manual allows 15Wx down to -20°C and 5Wx down to -35°C, how could there be so much difference at 0°C which is way above what both oils are rated for.

I did try that and while there's a visible difference at freezing, there's no difference at all once you push it through a thin hose with a syringe. It's like they don't know how an oil pump works...

That's a plausible difference when flow is powered by gravity. They obviously won't take 8 and 48 seconds to get through oil passages if pushed by a positive displacement pump.

Back