Liqui Moly, Motul oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is coming to that time of year again when I need to change the oil in the wife's 2007 Quest. I usually do it in October.....I run a one year OCI on it. Last year the van ran about 8.400 miles (8,380 miles exactly). This year it will be in the 9,000 to 10,000 range. The vehicle has approximately 68,000 total miles on it and we have owned since new.

Amsoil SS 5W-30 has been run these last two fills. TBN from last year's oil analysis was 1.9, with the oil being in there for 8,400 miles. This vehicle gets driven to work - 18 miles round trip - in traffic and local errands, children pickups, etc. We also use it for trips to see family. Total commute time daily is about 60 minutes in stop and go traffic.

While I think Amsoil is a good oil, I would like to try and find something "better". I think the TBN number is low given the oil only ran for one third the advertised 25,000 miles. I know the advertising is 25,000 miles or 1 year.....I ran it for a year. Over the years I have tried PP, RP, Red Line, Mobil 1, and Amsoil in the different vehicles I have owned.

I am not knocking Amsoil at all. My oil OCD is coming through and I would like to explore options.

I have been reading a lot about Liqui Moly and have ordered their Liqui Moly 2039 Longtime High Tech 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Liter Jug from Amazon. I also plan on adding a can of MoS2 to the oil. Yesterday a guy at work suggested I look at Motul. Motul is available from Summit Racing, which has a location on the Southside of Atlanta. I am looking at MOTUL 102782 - Motul 8100 Eco-nergy Motor Oil.

Does anyone have any experience with either oil? I want a full synthetic, I'll be running a FRAM Ultra XG6607 filter and doing the above mentioned one year OCI. We live in Atlanta so the heat here is always an issue as is the stop and go traffic. Engine protection and longevity is what I am going after.

I can easily return the Liqui Moly to Amazon so that is not an issue. I believe both oils meet the demanding ACEA A5/B5 standards.

Looking at the specification sheets on these two products it appears that they're targeted at two separate markets. I personally like the Liqui-Moly the best of the two because it meets many more manufacturer's approvals, it's a heavier oil at 12cSt and it has a lower sulphated ash content.

Not sure of the prices you paid but you likely got a much better price on the Liqui-Moly also. Motul tends to be rather pricey and I have read many mixed reviews on them - some great, some not so great.

If you decide to go with the Motul shoot me a line and I'll likely take the Liqui-Moly off of your hands. There is a good import parts store on the west side of the city (Bankhead highway) that sells a great selection of European products.

But my vote would go for the Liqui Moly.

I might think MoS2 will shorten your OCI due to acid formation when the sulfur in the compound reacts with moisture and heat. It is also a solid suspension (colloid) which the DP may think as a contaminant and try to agglomerate it. Just a caution as I had issue with just a 1/3 bottle of LubriMoly in the Honda.

Ive run EcoNergy 5w30 A1 and its a good winter oil for a small engine - But I would go with a BMW LL01 Motul (XMAX?) 5w30 in your application, or, just stick with the Amsoil which is a fine oil.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the Liqui Moly. It does seem like a really good product, especially when you add in the MoS2. Amazon sells the oil for ~$44.00 for 5 liters with free shipping.

Nothing is cast in concrete though. I'll wait to see what the forum members bring to light.

Last edited:
ARCOgraphite - what type of issue did you have with your Honda? I was planning on using the entire 300ml bottle.

Also, what does DP stand for? I looked in the sticky and didn't see if listed as an abbreviation.

Last edited:
That Liqui Moly oil is a low SAPS that will probably end up with a quite low TBN given that the Amsoil oil you used ended up with that low of a TBN. The Motul looks more suitable to your needs.

Castrol Edge Titanium EP might offer better TBN retention at the OCI your planning.

The LL-01 spec Liqui Moly 0w-30 and Castrol Euro 0W-30 (GC) should also offer good results since both these oils are engineered to be serviceable at the BMW 10,000-15,000 mile change interval.

Any of these could be the right match for your engine and the "better" oil you're seeking.

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
Amsoil SS 5W-30 has been run these last two fills. TBN from last year's oil analysis was 1.9, with the oil being in there for 8,400 miles. This vehicle gets driven to work - 18 miles round trip - in traffic and local errands, children pickups, etc. We also use it for trips to see family. Total commute time daily is about 60 minutes in stop and go traffic.

While I think Amsoil is a good oil, I would like to try and find something "better". I think the TBN number is low given the oil only ran for one third the advertised 25,000 miles. I know the advertising is 25,000 miles or 1 year.....I ran it for a year. Over the years I have tried PP, RP, Red Line, Mobil 1, and Amsoil in the different vehicles I have owned.

There are no "better" options with short trips and a short commute in stop-n-go traffic. That will degrade any oil faster than normal. What were the other properties of that UOA, specifically the fuel %? Also, the XG6607 is a really tiny filter. About 2.5" tall.

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the Liqui Moly. It does seem like a really good product, especially when you add in the MoS2. Amazon sells the oil for ~$44.00 for 5 liters with free shipping.

Nothing is cast in concrete though. I'll wait to see what the forum members bring to light.
NO certified oil uses MoS2 for good reason. I wouldn't unless in a unfiltered ODPE 4 stroke as a curiosity. As far as MY experience
The engine was running fine on Edge with Ti then I added the MoS2. The engine got noisy at ood times and then "hurt itself" when I was running on the upper torque peak with some spunky driving - which Hondas are designed for given this engine had a power vtec design cam. The MoS2 is "dust" or "dirt" - not soluble and an oils detergent package will go after it, possibly. Any Fine powder in suspension (colloid) could tend to agglomerate and settle and/or be filtered in an engine sump environ. CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION. PLus this is an additive that gets USED you don't have to use the whole bottle at once. maybe start with just a capful diluted in a 1/4 litre of oil - you can always add more and overburden the filter and blow your engine LATER. Caution first. Again NO major oil company uses MoS2 in engine oil FOR A REASON!. You snake-oil glovers are really risking your cars and - you don't fully understand what you're doing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back