Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w-40 good for Jetta 2.0??

Just picked up a 2012 VW Jetta s 2.0 4 cyl, non turbo ,it's the base model, so I wanted to immediately change the oil, because the used car place I got it from, had a carquest red filter and unknown oil. So went to Advance Auto I got Liqui Moly 5w-40 (link below) and a Mann w719/30 filter.
Advance Auto 5W-40

This oil says it meets the VW 502.00 spec,and the filter says made in Germany. My friend at work told me to get this stuff. He has real nice r32 vr6.

But is this Liqui Moly the best oil for this car,and how are mann filters? I am a newbie with VW engines.

I drive around 155 miles a day,5 days a week,the weekends it sits. All highway and some very easy city side roads,very little traffic or lights.I got this small 2.0 engine for simplicity and ease of maintenance.Also gets a nice 36 mpg hwy without even trying.

Any input on the best oil and filter for the Jetta would be appreciated,want to get this car to 250,000(has 68k)

Thanks

Welcome to the 2.SLOW club!
MANN W719/30 is exactly what the OEM filter is besides the paint. Darn near the best you can get. Liqui Moly is good oil, just over priced.

LiquiMoly is good oil, but IMO not worth the extra money. It is more expensive because its gets shipped in from Germany. Castrol Edge would work just fine in a N/A VW, and the filter you choose is also what I would choose. But if you prefer the LiquiMoly, then get it.

You got yourself a 2.slow? Boy, did you luck out.

I'm about the world's BIGGEST euro-basher, but I really can't talk about the 2.0. The pure simplicity of it is just wonderful, even if it does still have some German quirks.

I'd happily say that the Liqui-Moly is overkill. Honestly, I'd run ST 5w-30 in it year round. That simple little 8v, SOHC, iron block, low revving, outdated turd of a 4 cylinder will be happy with just about anything you throw at it. Honestly, as underpowered and unrefined as it is, you got yourself a solid platform there. The electronics will give you fits long before the engine does.

*EDIT* Forgot about the filter: good choice on the Mann. Nothing wrong with that at all, and you'll rest easy knowing you've got quality.

Last edited:
My 2.slow was a great car till someone sideswiped it and totaled it. I definitely got my monies worth out of it and then some. I used 0w-40 Castrol or Mobil1. Only weak spot is the coil. I put 2 on mine in the 180k I had it. Do the timing belt at 100k.

If that engine doesn't run well on a good 5W30 then there is something wrong with the design.

What is the the factory Main and Rod bearing clearance range?

Of am I mistaken.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If that engine doesn't run well on a good 5W30 then there is something wrong with the design.

What is the the factory Main and Rod bearing clearance range?

Of am I mistaken.

It's a VW engine meant to use 502 oils, which are mostly 40 grade. He could use a 504 oil if he wanted to which are mostly 30 grade but still 3.5 HTHS. I agree it would likely be "fine" on a regular 5w30 but that's not technically what it calls for.

Do not deviate from a decent Euro oil in a VW turbo. The Liqui Moly will be just fine but as mentioned no better than easily available and competitively priced Euro oils such as Castrol 0w40 / 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 to name a few. Those cost no more than other full syns why would anyone not use them is beyond me.

A steady diet of Jiffy Lube type oil changes has eventually blown many a VW turbo. The owners simply didn't know any better I guess.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Do not deviate from a decent Euro oil in a VW turbo. The Liqui Moly will be just fine but as mentioned no better than easily available and competitively priced Euro oils such as Castrol 0w40 / 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 to name a few. Those cost no more than other full syns why would anyone not use them is beyond me.

A steady diet of Jiffy Lube type oil changes has eventually blown many a VW turbo. The owners simply didn't know any better I guess.

But no turbo here, its a low specific output NA motor.

Just trying to figure out the need for the high HTHS and high KV.

Poor oil cooling?

Small Sump?

Large running clearances?

"Thick oil mantra" among VW engineers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by KCJeep

But no turbo here, its a low specific output NA motor.

Just trying to figure out the need for the high HTHS and high KV.

Poor oil cooling?

Small Sump?

Large running clearances?

"Thick oil mantra" among VW engineers?

This engine is roughly a 25+ year old design and likely still carries the oil recommendation of the time.

You can practically use any oil in it, my dad had used 5w20 in his 2.0's a long time ago because he had alot of it for the honda, 10w30, 5w30, 10w40, 0w40, 15w40, they aren't picky for what oil you use, just keep maintenance right.

Back