Liqui Moly 0W-30 / Honda Jazz/Fit / 8500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

as promised, I did the VOA and UOA on Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime
SAE 0W-30

Car is 2007 Honda Jazz/Fit 1.3, running on gasoline/LPG

Results are shown below with first column showing results for virgin oil and second is for used(sample taken on oil change at 8500 miles)

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 0 13,800km

MI/HR on Unit 0 117,400km

Sample Date 05/15/14 05/15/14

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 1 8

CHROMIUM 0 3

IRON 1 42

COPPER 0 7

LEAD 1 1

TIN 0 3

MOLYBDENUM 0 1

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 0 5

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 439

BORON 88 23

SILICON 4 9

SODIUM 0 4

CALCIUM 2137 2559

MAGNESIUM 6 7

PHOSPHORUS 773 881

ZINC 933 1064

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 60.7 58.5

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.43 9.79

Flashpoint in °F 470 450

Fuel % - -
Antifreeze % - ?

Water % 0 0

Insolubles % 0 0.3

TBN 8.9 3.2

Blackstone analysis comment was:
Quote:
Some excess wear metals showed up in this sample as well as some potassium. Potassium is
more of a concern since it can show coolant contamination, however, without any excess sodium present,
it's hard to say for sure if it's a problem. If you have noticed any loss of coolant, then your Honda may
possibly have a bad head gasket. Aluminum and iron likely show a little excess piston and cylinder wear.
Universal averages show normal wear levels after ~7,500 km oil use. The TBN was still strong at 3.2, but
check back in just 10,000 km for another look.

Recommended oil for my engine is 5W-40(by Honda), but I'm using 0W-30 for fuel economy and cold start warm up. Could the metal in UOA be due to the wrong gradation of oil used.

As for coolant, I did not notice any coolant loss..

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks

I'd get the engine checked out. Wears is too high and if you have coolant leak, its matter of time before oil becomes molasis. Long OCI is not recommended.

Stop using ethanol gas(i suggest shell v power 91,problem solved)i figure if f1 ferari use it ,and they dont complain ,it must be good ,otherwise they would use petro-canada 94 (full of ethanol)

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I'd get the engine checked out. Wears is too high and if you have coolant leak, its matter of time before oil becomes molasis. Long OCI is not recommended.

The problem is that I don't have any loss of coolant so I'm not really sure what's happening there. As for engine, I do regular valve clearance check and adjustment, obviously, I'll have head gasket checked and replaced just to be sure, any other suggestions are welcomed
smile.gif
OCI is currently 8500 miles until I get this Potassium matter solved..

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Stop using ethanol gas(i suggest shell v power 91,problem solved)i figure if f1 ferari use it ,and they dont complain ,it must be good ,otherwise they would use petro-canada 94 (full of ethanol)

I don't have this gas available on my market and I don't use gas that much anyway, just for engine warm up and than it switches to LPG automatically.

This reminds me that I did have engine knock problem which was diagnosed (after few weeks of knocking) to be due to bad spark plug.
Lesson learned - spark plug change intervals are much shorter(up to 50%) when using LPG as fuel.

Now, if wear metals were product of that knocking mishap then their level should drop in next UOA, but I'm still worried that I might be using wrong oil gradation(30 instead of 40).
Can the oil pressure test help in deciding can I continue with 0W30?

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Does Liqui-Moly contain moly? If so, I am wondering why it wasn't picked up by the lab.

Not sure on this one, data sheet(linked from first post) does not contain so much detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back