Linglong Crosstour

Originally Posted by c502cid
I guess I'm going to be the one who isn't screaming with my hands in the air.... Buy Linglong with confidence. I sell USA goods in China, I'm there a lot. You see Linglongs on everything, especially heavy trucks and busses (DoubleCoin too). There aren't fiery wrecks on the side of the road, no more alligators on the highway than here, and they are sold by the major tire stores out there.

I know I know, Chinese tire it has to be junk just because it's Chineeeeeeesssseeeee. They said that about Made in Japan goods once too.

I have a set of tires on right now made by a Singapore Co. that's been around since the 50's. They do have a U.S. mfg plant but their tires are also made in several facilities and sold in over 130 country's. They're warranted against defects and mileage (45k) and they seem to be wearing well and have good (so far) wet weather performance here in the NW. Buy from an established ISO certified mfg that warranties their products and there shouldn't be an issue.

As I read the OP yesterday, fairly predictable how this thread would go. I'm more interested in how the Crosstours work on your MB, hope you'll update with information.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As I read the OP yesterday, fairly predictable how this thread would go. I'm more interested in how the Crosstours work on your MB, hope you'll update with information.

It's how most threads seem to go on BITOG... someone says "I'm thinking of doing XYZ.." or "I'm thinking of using XYZ fluid for.."... then the naysayers chime in, then the dosayers chime in. This thread is no different.

It's total anarchy ...‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Sayjac

It's how most threads seem to go on BITOG... someone says "I'm thinking of doing XYZ.." or "I'm thinking of using XYZ fluid for.."... then the naysayers chime in, then the dosayers chime in. This thread is no different.
It's total anarchy ...‚

It's not anarchy if it's predictable!!
;^)
I would say it's a mistake to assume all Chinese brands are the same and all make low quality merchandise...good info from c502cid that Linglong and DoubleCoin seem to be trusted brands in their home country.

I think the contents of the OP including the tire coo made it at least somewhat predictable, at the least unsurprising. That aside, more importantly I'd like an update with tires used on the Benz.

You see Linglongs on everything, especially heavy trucks and busses (DoubleCoin too).

I've read somewhere that Navistar is using DoubleCoin as OEM on some International trucks and school buses. That is pretty much a vote of confidence, especially on a school bus.

I live by a busy shipping port, if I don't see Goodyear or Michelin on a company truck it's almost always Linglong/DoubleCoin/Sailun/Triangle.

Originally Posted by nthach
You see Linglongs on everything, especially heavy trucks and busses (DoubleCoin too).

I've read somewhere that Navistar is using DoubleCoin as OEM on some International trucks and school buses. That is pretty much a vote of confidence, especially on a school bus.

I live by a busy shipping port, if I don't see Goodyear or Michelin on a company truck it's almost always Linglong/DoubleCoin/Sailun/Triangle.

YEA- but on this forum mention Chinese and tires in the same sentence and guys start freaking out and talking about how those drivers who install Chinese tires a ready to happen accident on the road.

But they conveniently forget about the buses and semis weighing MULTIPLE TONS going by them on the Interstate-running these brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
What a slimy company. I suspect a settlement with non-disclosure was reached after the 2013 trade show incident, because there's absolutely nothing in the news after that, and I suspect Fishman was not going to just give up.

You probably have not been around long enough to remember the Firestone 521 disaster......

Originally Posted by CKN
You probably have not been around long enough to remember the Firestone 521 disaster......

I guess he didn't Linglong enough to remember!
lol.gif

What's a Firestone 521 anyway?

Originally Posted by CKN
What a slimy company. I suspect a settlement with non-disclosure was reached after the 2013 trade show incident, because there's absolutely nothing in the news after that, and I suspect Fishman was not going to just give up.

Oh I remember that..a lot of people died from the defects if I recall. And it nearly destroyed the company.

Oh I remember that..a lot of people died from the defects if I recall. And it nearly destroyed the company.

And then came the Radial ATX/Wilderness AT tread separation that cost Firestone an important contract with Ford that was a family affair. Bridgestone did buy out Firestone back in the 1980s - but that made the former tighten their grip on the latter for quality.

I wouldn't hesitate to install a Firestone these days, though there are better tires for the money(and Firestone corporate stores are pushing Primewells these days). And nowadays, it seems like Ford and Bridgestone are working again, I saw a new Ranger shod on Duelers.

Originally Posted by CKN

Lol I lived through a Firestone 500 sidewall blowout at highway speeds. And we retired a set of 721's early as well.

Not sure what a 521 is.
smile.gif

And then came the Radial ATX/Wilderness AT tread separation that cost Firestone an important contract with Ford that was a family affair. Bridgestone did buy out Firestone back in the 1980s - but that made the former tighten their grip on the latter for quality.

I wouldn't hesitate to install a Firestone these days, though there are better tires for the money(and Firestone corporate stores are pushing Primewells these days). And nowadays, it seems like Ford and Bridgestone are working again, I saw a new Ranger shod on Duelers.

It's often said that the safest/best time to do business with a company is following a crisis. Like Jack n the box, remember that? Following their burgers problem, they took a fine tooth comb through all their operations and haven't had a problem since.

As for Firestone, if my memory serves me right they made their first big comeback by having teams run them at Indy, right?? It was like the return of Firestone. I wouldn't have an issue with a Firestone these days but they're a bit overpriced IMO.

Edit: yeah, that ended like a decades old relationship with Ford didn't it?

Last edited:

As for Firestone, if my memory serves me right they made their first big comeback by having teams run them at Indy, right?? It was like the return of Firestone. I wouldn't have an issue with a Firestone these days but they're a bit overpriced IMO.

Indy helped them, so did a PR blitz and Bridgestone was more involved with the American operations.

While I think Bridgestone is mediocre compared against Michelin, Conti and even Pirelli when it comes to quality and performance, they have to meet Toyota(they use Bridgestone as a primary tire) and Honda's quality specs to be a supplier. BMW and GM also have decently high specs for tires - Bridgestone is also the primary tire supplier for them.

Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone were good friends, and a member of the Ford family married into the Firestone family. The Ford-Firestone relationship was a family affair.

Indy helped them, so did a PR blitz and Bridgestone was more involved with the American operations.

While I think Bridgestone is mediocre compared against Michelin, Conti and even Pirelli when it comes to quality and performance, they have to meet Toyota(they use Bridgestone as a primary tire) and Honda's quality specs to be a supplier. BMW and GM also have decently high specs for tires - Bridgestone is also the primary tire supplier for them.

Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone were good friends, and a member of the Ford family married into the Firestone family. The Ford-Firestone relationship was a family affair.

Well that makes sense. I just remember them, Firestone, being synonymous with Ford's back in the day. I've only ever owned one car where it was worth using performance tires and it was Pirelli's...but all those are fine I my book and you could easily do worse than a set of Bridgestone's. In college I had a roomy who was from Scotland and he swore by Bridgestone. I could really get him spun up by calling them crap tires!...‚...‚...‚, of course I didn't really have a problem with them, i just loved turning his screws!

Last edited:

Lol I lived through a Firestone 500 sidewall blowout at highway speeds. And we retired a set of 721's early as well.

Not sure what a 521 is.
smile.gif

Holy smokes.. that had to be scary. If I remember that was the same defect that killed a few people right? The sidewall blowing out at speed.

So I just googled it...over 270 deaths and hundreds of injuries attributed to the Firestone tire defects (tread separation/blowout)

Traditionally, British cars came with Dunlop while the French and Germans used Michelin and Conti respectively. The Americans were interchangable between Goodyear/BFG/Uniroyal/Firestone and the Japanese used Bridgestone or Yokohama. Racing sponsorships were different.

I think the 1970s -1980s was when things gotten weird - the Japanese licensed the Dunlop name(or Dunlop set up shop in Japan because of Honda and the motorbike), Pirelli earned fitments from BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. Porsche and Ferrari were using Bridgestone who would become an F1 tire supplier. Honda was proudly installing Michelin from the factory on the Accord.

Last edited:
Back