Lifetime power train warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald

Is it worth it?

Always buy the car for the car, not for the latest promotion

words that I stick by, and have never led me wrong

Originally Posted By: dernp
There will be alot of fine print. Sounds like you will lose control of all potential do it yourself maintenance.

I had them send me the fine print. My wife (she will be by the time I buy a car) is a lawyer in the Attorney Generals Office. (And I watch Suits).

Instead of a lifetime powertrain warranty, have them give you a lifetime of oil and filters. What's the point of being a BITOGer if you can't change your own oil, at the least.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
What's the point of being a BITOGer if you can't change your own oil, at the least.

Arguing about what's the best car that lasts the longest with the fewest problems?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The ones I have seen even make you buy tires and brakes from the dealer. I always just assumed they were a scam to sell a bunch of overpriced services not needed and never seriously considered them.

Yeah there was a dealer here promising lifetime tires. I bet they're awful in the snow and they won't replace them until you get down to 2/32.

Also expect a $175 alignment every time you get tires, "to make sure you're in spec".

They are banking on a few things

1) People that buy the warranty and are afraid of vehicles over 50K miles old - to some, a vehicle is worn out and will start nickel and diming at that age

2) People that feel extended warranty is going to add resale value to the car

3) You buy the car in 2014, trade it to another dealer for something else in 2017 - pure profit for them

4) Weaseling out of it. If you change your own oil, GONE.

I would ask them to knock off the price of the "free" extended warranty.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Depends how much you enjoy dealing with this dealer. Recommended oil change interval for the new Crosstreks is 7500mi and a dealer 0w20 oil change is about $60+

The other thing to consider is, do you have to follow the dealer's maintenance regimen for the "dealer" warranty? The dealer could spec anything they want, that being the case.

Yeah, I've seen dealer warranties that say you need to get the oil changed every 3k with them even if there is an OLM or the book recommends 7.5k or whatever. You spend more in oil changes than you would for any possible repairs you'd need under the warranty.

That warranty sounds Fishy. I have the Dodge Lifetime warranty. They inspect it every 5 years and go over your records. I change my own oil and do my own maintenance. Which I prefer. I do nicer work, with better quality parts. I had a 50,000 mile service agreement, when we bought our Lincoln. I took it in for a transmission service at 30,000 like I was supposed to do. They "Said" they changed the fluid and filter, although it didn't look like it. I called them and they said they did, they documented it and if I had any issues, they would handle it. At 60,000 miles, I did it myself and the little yellow assembly plug came out with the fluid. I don't trust dealerships for maintenance. They don't care about each car, like you do, Its profit and if it has problems, its more profit. No warranties for me, that they are in charge of maintenance.

the lifetime powertrain warranty, I would say no to that. tell them to waive it, you can get 1000 bucks off your deal.

I hear you Panzer. The one and only time I paid a dealer for a pan drop and fluid change was on my 2001 Ford Windstar. It shifted weird afterwards. It was over 4 qts low.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

1) People that buy the warranty and are afraid of vehicles over 50K miles old - to some, a vehicle is worn out and will start nickel and diming at that age

3) You buy the car in 2014, trade it to another dealer for something else in 2017 - pure profit for them

This is free and non transferable. It starts when the manufacturers warranty ends. Your comments do not make sense for a free lifetime power train warranty.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: JTK
Depends how much you enjoy dealing with this dealer. Recommended oil change interval for the new Crosstreks is 7500mi and a dealer 0w20 oil change is about $60+

The other thing to consider is, do you have to follow the dealer's maintenance regimen for the "dealer" warranty? The dealer could spec anything they want, that being the case.

Yeah, I've seen dealer warranties that say you need to get the oil changed every 3k with them even if there is an OLM or the book recommends 7.5k or whatever. You spend more in oil changes than you would for any possible repairs you'd need under the warranty.

Owner must follow the manufacturers recommended maint. schedule. Not any dealer recommendation.

This is free and non transferable. It starts when the manufacturers warranty ends.

If I didn't like to do my own maintenance and I trusted the dealer in question, I'd consider it. In my case, I was offered a lifetime engine warranty on my Infiniti if I kept it serviced at the Chrysler dealer from whom I purchased it. The problem was, however, that Mopar didn't have a filter cross and the oil change before I picked it up was farmed to the Canadian Tire across the street, where they conveniently overfilled it with at least an extra litre. So, lifetime warranty? Not this lifetime.

But, if I could trust the work and ethics of the dealer and didn't want to do my own stuff, I'd consider it.

Them giving you what it's worth if the repair is over it's current value doesn't sound too much like a lifetime warranty. I like Subarus, but stay away!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

This is free and non transferable. It starts when the manufacturers warranty ends. Your comments do not make sense for a free lifetime power train warranty.

It only "free" in the sense that it isn't a line item on your invoice with a dollar amount. Somewhere else (likely them not budging on the price) you are paying for the warranty.

If they have the best price on the car, I would buy it from them and consider the warranty to be a write off.

Ah, the Warranty Forever thing. When I got my 2013 Silverado last May, it came with that Warranty Forever thing. It is indeed "free" to the customer, so to speak. Basically, you are restricted from doing much of anything related to the engine or drive train. Also, unless you get approval from the Warranty Forever folks when you are outside your home area, all work must be done at the dealer who provided the WF. Any and all maintenance must be approved. And every bit of maintenance and repairs must be done by original dealer for a 150 mile radius... yep, if you lived 125 miles away, you would have to go 125 miles to the dealer each and every time! And you are responsible for the towing to that dealer if the vehicle conks out!!!!

I told the dealer I would be voiding it within 1000 miles. Actually did at 1190 when I changed out the factory engine and drivetrain fluids.

This thing is free, because the servicing dealer gets to make tons of cash in doing all the maintenance and repairs. this is how it is sold to them by the WF folks. But you can find a few instances online where folks actually tried to stick to the letter of the contract, but the WF folks found a way to deny warranty and void the contract.

Customer FAQs
http://mywarrantyforever.com/Default.aspx?PageID=75

Dealer FAQs
http://nwan.com/FAQs/WarrantyForeverFAQ.php

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: TrevorS

And don't forget that when you DIY, you save time and have more peace of mind.

I do my own stuff (but not oil, I hate oil and antifreeze) because I like it. It takes less time to drop the car off at the dealer, let them take me to/from work and work on it while I'm working. Piece of mind is if they F something up it's on them, not me.

To each their own, but this sounds like a hassle to me. I'd rather just go straight to work. And then spend the 30 min when I have nothing better to do in the convenience of my own garage.

The car manufacturer's warranty is there for 2 reasons: so they can have bragging rights and so you'll be supposedly happy enough to buy another car from them. Not unreasonable.

A dealer-provided warranty is nothing more than a revenue-generating line for them. If it wasn't, they wouldn't offer it.

Remember, everything is a business and no one cares about you.

The dealers love stuff like this. They get to soak people on maintenance for a long time and make a fortune. That more than makes up for the one guy in a thousand that actually gets them to cover something under this warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back