Lifetime alignments?

That's what the internet suggests. One of the ways mentioned involve limited hours to make sure that you only get it if you drop the car off for a whole day on a weekday.
Others have indicated that they might not even touch it and give it back to you saying they did. Seems common.

Used to have a lifetime alignment at Sears for a 60’s Mustang. They never ever got it right. Steering wheel crooked. They tried to fix that by repositioning the steering wheel before I caught them. So, two turns to the left and two and a half for a right turn?

I do my own alignments now as I bought a caster/camber gauge. Don’t need precise lasers to do an imprecise measurement.

Used to have a lifetime alignment at Sears for a 60’s Mustang. They never ever got it right. Steering wheel crooked. They tried to fix that by repositioning the steering wheel before I caught them. So, two turns to the left and two and a half for a right turn?

I do my own alignments now as I bought a caster/camber gauge. Don’t need precise lasers to do an imprecise measurement.
Seems like most of these places with try and wear the customers down with nonsense hoping they don't come back if possible, even after they purchase the lifetime alignment products. If you are capable I agree with DIY.

How is the alignment gong out on a strut car without Bending something or having bushing wear?
If that is the issue the "toe correction" is a Band aid; Sometimes it is just good enough - many times NOT.

I do understand the need with trucks with shimmed ULCA and and rear leafs and shackles.

You need to see this for what it is, and decide if Firestone is where you want your suspension / steering component work done when it comes time to start replacing parts. The lifetime alignment is just an assurance for them that you'll bring it to them every time there's an alignment issue, and therefore, they'll be the ones replacing tie rod ends, control arm bushings, ball joints, etc., The pitch will be that they can't align the vehicle without first replacing worn parts, and you'll be paying their labor rate and their parts markup. Choose wisely.

The lifetime alignment agreements I purchased from Firestone do not require that repair work be done at or by Firestone. If they tell me there is a problem, I can do the repair myself, take it someplace else and have the work done, or have Firestone do the work.

I find a lot of value in having a more experienced independent mechanic do alignment work than having big chain place do it, mostly because the Indy guys (at least a good one) will take the vehicle on a test drive to make sure things are squared up in real life. I’ve had a few done at NTB and Firestone over the years where I had to pecker around and go back to get them to fix the alignment right after I got the vehicle back because it was “off” in real life. They got it squared away but the time wasted by me going back was worth more than whatever the savings I would get on a lifetime alignment. One caveat is that it is probably worth doing it if you’re prone to changing suspension stuff frequently (performance or off-road cars).

If you plan to keep the vehicle long-term, lifetime services can be a good value. Depends on the shop. I purchased Firestone lifetime alignments for both my road vehicles which have already paid for themselves. Have had a few problems along the way including the vehicle pulling to one side after an alignment, this happened on both vehicles (don't they do a test drive?); greasy smudges on interior carpet; trim & paint scratches from belt buckles (courtesy inspection, no thank you very much / now I tell them "don't you dare open my hood"). Another problem is that some shops will nickel- and dime you even if you have already paid for the main service, things like alignment shims and other small parts that should be included in the service. I argued with the service manager that they are a tire and alignment shop and they should have alignment shims coming out of their ears, and they should not be charging me $35 for a shim kit. They did not budge but also I am not paying for another alignment service at a different shop so I paid $35 for the shim kit (which they will undoubtedly use on other customers' vehicles as well). Afterward I realized I should have called another Firestone location and asked them about shims, then put the two managers on the phone together so they can figure out their bullsh**. Anyway that's my $0.02 on lifetime services.

I did the lifetime for the parent’s van. It wasn’t much more than a single-time one. In hindsight, since it doesn’t get driven in the city I’d just have the local Tire Pros affiliate or Big O do the alignment.

It wore this set of tires funny, but I've fixed everything since and got it aligned. but had to take the front suspension apart again a few months ago to replace CV axles and would feel better with a new alignment before the new tires in case I didn't get the clevis to the exact height. Plus replaced the rear UCA too since the last alignment, so it needs one now. I just want to see if lifetime ones are a scam, so whenever I replace something I can just get it aligned.

My understanding is you do not need an alignment after a CV change if you didn't replace any suspension part.

If you disconnect any suspension parts to complete the repair, then yes, you will need an alignment.
Well, it all depends-- pop a tie rod end or ball joint and it's going to self-center itself when you torque it back together.

Sway bar end links don't need an alignment after either.

What sucks with uncaring chain stores is if the computer says camber isn't adjustable, they just give up. It can be adjusted with cam bolts, or aftermarket struts with elongated holes, or just grinding. But if you already paid for a service a while back there's nobody that's going to care.

As for getting a printout, it's a not uncommon scam to just lean on a tire so it loads the bushings in the right direction then hitting the print button. The computer is only as honest and accurate as the guy that put the thingies on the tires.

Depends on your driving conditions. Alignments do go out very often unless you hit someting big time. Last time I got and needed one was over 20 years ago. That was after tie rod end replacement. Myself, I would get one time alignments as needed without a lifetime agreement.
Assume you meant "do not". :)

"They began disguising their efforts to endlessly rip customers off as a financial incentive..." - Some superior life form somewhere.

I keep my car's for a long time and first time I change tires I get Firestone Lifetime Alignment and get at least 2 alignments a year and get my money's worth. Sure they try to vacuum my wallet with additional services but a polite no works every time.

I have the lifetime alignment from Tires Plus. I go in for an alignment once a year after I get my tires balanced and rotated. Never an issue or charge. Sure, they try to sell you maintenance work, but that’s expected. Do I need to get an alignment every year? Maybe not, but it makes me all warm and fuzzy so I do it.

I bought a plan for my truck at Firestone/Tires Plus years ago, before I had the tools to do basic alignments in house. Never had an issue with them. All depends on the individual store.

Back