Life on other planets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes life living? What makes life intelligent? The life form may be too far from our frame of reference to recognize it. Or live at a different pace than we do. If I was running the show, we would be exploring the ocean and the Earth's interior. And putting a base on the moon.

As I posted in the UFO thread (but fits in here much better):

Statistically it is 100% likely that life exists on another planet. There's just too much stuff out there for it not to have happened more than once.

calvin-and-hobbes-intelligent-life.jpg

And to think about where we are at on the timeline in the development of species on this planet - a tiny, tiny, tiny slice of Earth-time is occupied by humans - and to have another nearby planet exist in this same state of development at this same time - that's where the #s get pretty small.

The Fermi Paradox on wikipedia is a good read on the subject. I tend to agree -- odds are good there is life out there somewhere, odds are even better that we'll never cross paths. The parts about how hard it would be for someone (us or "them") to even notice life near another star are pretty sobring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Oh yeah,I believe it's out there.

I don't think some of them are unaware of us, either. If there are more intelligent or advanced cultures out there aware of us....

That still, however, faces the limitations of physics. One way for them to notice us would be to listen into our transmissions. But, we haven't been doing high power transmissions for a long period of time, which means they have only gone so far.

Anything else would require them to go out looking, and regardless of speed limitations, there's a whole lot of space out there. In some parts of this world, you can wander for days without seeing another person. Expand that to an interstellar scale, and see what you get.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That still, however, faces the limitations of physics. One way for them to notice us would be to listen into our transmissions. But, we haven't been doing high power transmissions for a long period of time, which means they have only gone so far.

Anything else would require them to go out looking, and regardless of speed limitations, there's a whole lot of space out there. In some parts of this world, you can wander for days without seeing another person. Expand that to an interstellar scale, and see what you get.

It comes down to relativity in this case- what seems like an effective idea to us like blasting the Beatles into space, might not be - at all- what they're looking for.

Or perhaps they already have parts of the galaxy mapped out? Maybe some of them have been checking in on us and our rise and falls of civlization, maybe even long term observation like the evolution of species! Limiting our imagination to our known technologies, one probably wouldn't imagine we've been visited or 'discovered'

Here's a good one. A good friend of mine has told me that she's been 'abducted' numerous times since about the age of 18- I kid you not- and that 'they' do biological tests on her and that they communicate telepathically-- telling her to "relax" and lamenting about her giving them trouble and not cooperating things like that. She goes on to say that her mother has alluded to experiencing the same things.

Personally, that's a bit much for me. But I can't/won't tell her she's wrong or that it's absurd..she's a good friend and I don't think she's lying. It could be really vivid dreams - it could be non-competent hypnosis for gripe sake! I just don't know. It's the only first-hand abduction story I've heard.
happy2.gif
banana2.gif

The Fermi paradox is an interesting idea.
I wonder if there is some paradox in the evolution of intelligence that makes sustained high levels technological growth impossible? Like the level of individual desire to create something new, also makes us act in our own personal interests over what is good for our species?

In the last hundred years science knowledge has grown exponentially, but we now have the means to most likely wipe out ourselves in a nuclear war(and have come close). Biologically, we are probably getting close to be able to create an organism that could also disrupt something as critcal as the oxygen cycle, or photosynthetic plants.
Nano robot technology could go terribly wrong at some point too.
Then perhaps the very expirements to find faster than light travel might cause some earth ending sub atomic reaction?

Also extrapolating out our current resource consumption rates, and our effects on the only spaceship we have(earth), I suspect that our species amount of time here as technological innovators might not be measured in thousands of years, let alone millions.

Could we as a planet, maintain the resources and interest in even a 1000 year intersellar colonization plan if we figured out even near light speed travel? That is alot of 4 year terms to get through...

GenSan,

Suggest if want to persue this topic see the General and Off-Topic Miller-Urey Experiment thread and comment there instead of hijacking this thread.

You brought this topic up originally.

Last edited:
No thanks I'm well-versed on this topic(and experiment). If one accepts and acknowledges that life began on Earth from simple organic compounds then life on other planets is certainly plausible.

There are probably ten times as many planets as stars at least, if one includes rogue planets that have no star. It is likely that about one in ten supports life, or once in its history does if good enough conditions are present (an example, probably, is Mars).

But most of this life is microbial. Even a rogue planet might develop life around a volcanic vent in a sub-surface ocean. Life as complex as a dinosaur or tree is very rare. That needs a piece of real estate with very good conditions for billions of years. We are standing on one.

Water worlds are better bets at complex life, but such a place would never make for technological life.

Life with an intelligence species like us is rarer still. There was no particular natural reason for us to have evolved. Life with conditions that allow the psychology of civilization, rarer still. We have land, oceans, a clear sky that lets us know stars are there; we were competitive enough to make technology.

A species like ours is not common. It is likely that we are the only one in our galaxy at the present time. If we ever develop efficient interstellar travel, there is an Empire out there we can build; if not, we are no different than a bacterium in a hot spring on some isolated mountain.

"No particular reason" explains a lot about our isolation.

Your views are an eerie echo of European thought at the start of the age of discovery.
If only we could find an efficient means of intercontinental navigation, we could build an empire!
There are no people out there equivalent to us!
The Europeans, of course, treated those found on newly discovered continents as lesser beings.
I doubt that we're the only intelligent life forms in our galaxy, but it wouldn't take much of a difference in technical progress for us to either dominate or be dominated by others.
Think of how much technical progress we've made in the past cntury and then imagine how easily we could dominate a culture a century behind us technically or be dominated by one just a century ahead of us.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
There was no particular natural reason for us to have evolved.
"No particular reason" explains a lot about our isolation.

Or anything to have evolved the way it has, really. Where are the special intermediates? Was there intention of any kind involved?

The way I see it is leaving C++ code alone for millions of years will not eventually yeild a compilation of working, purposeful software. It must be intentionally compiled, even AI code that adapts and can ammend itself, was programmed and will do no more than it was programmed to do via intention of the programmer. Likening DNA/RNA to a programming code for biological machines, I believe in evolution of species only as far as environmental adaptation as a provision of their biological programs. These biological robots that we operate for a lifetime are just too complex and specialized for me to be arrogant enough to believe that we can credibly hypothesize our accidental existence due to biological/elemental bumbling around. my 5 cents

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Think of how much technical progress we've made in the past cntury and then imagine how easily we could dominate a culture a century behind us technically or be dominated by one just a century ahead of us.

Our own history provides plenty of examples of that...Guns, Germs, and Steel...great book...

It comes down to relativity in this case- what seems like an effective idea to us like blasting the Beatles into space, might not be - at all- what they're looking for.

Well, there are certain things that are worth looking for and certain things that aren't worth looking for. Electromagnetic radiation that has an artificial pattern is a good one. Notably, it travels at a pretty good clip and doesn't need a medium. Listening for sound waves from Earth would be idiotic.
wink.gif
The laws of physics don't change for another hypothetical species looking for life elsewhere.

Or perhaps they already have parts of the galaxy mapped out? Maybe some of them have been checking in on us and our rise and falls of civlization, maybe even long term observation like the evolution of species!

We have part of the galaxy mapped out. That doesn't mean much. Periodically "checking" on us takes some great leaps of faith. They have to find us first, and given the shear numbers of stars out there and the short period that we've been broadcasting, that's an impressive obstacle. Then, they have to get here. That's a bigger obstacle. And periodically checking on our civilizations would indicate they discovered us long before we started any EM transmissions, and I don't buy that for a second. We have one or two candidates for microbial life in this solar system, and we can't even do an exhaustive check yet.

No matter how much you stretch the physics, you have a daunting problem. There are trillions of stars in the known universe. Even taking conservative estimates as to how many could potentially support life, that's a staggering amount to check, no matter how fast one can travel. Of course, when we go to the fringe idea that, "Oh, well life could be totally different than what we consider life," then you have to increase the number of starts to check, right?

The biggest issue with respect to life on other planets, specifically with looking at the Drake equation, is the estimate of the value of L. It's beginning to get reasonably clear that L will be much shorter than original estimates. A civilization emitting detectable signals for much more than a hundred years is questionable, much less hundreds or thousands of years. We simply don't need TV stations pumping out megawatt signals any longer. Radio could follow. Our main concern these days for communication is to be able to communicate effectively with satellites (which doesn't require enormous power) or local cell phone towers, or WiFi 15 feet away.

There is little need to worry ourselves about whether and how aliens are visiting us or watching us with exotic technologies when we can't get a man past the moon. It's daunting.

And certain types of speculation simply don't help. It's easy to say that they're not looking at EM, or they have FTL travel. If one hasn't got some idea of a feasible alternative, then it's just science fiction.

The facts are inescapable. If one wishes to find something, one has to look. When one looks, one has to look for something feasible (i.e. EM radiation), or one has to go and do it (physically or by proxy through a probe), and that's a pile of work considering the number of stars.

To have had aliens visiting ancient man doesn't explain how they found ancient man, who did nothing to enable interstellar detection. That would mean the aliens had to come and physically check. Maybe they had to check Mars, too. After all, we thought it had canals and we are much closer. How many other planets and star systems did they have to check between their home and here, regardless of their speed? Thousands? Millions? Billions?

The way I see it is leaving C++ code alone for millions of years will not eventually yeild a compilation of working, purposeful software.

You must be cautious if you want to make anything remotely resembling an apt comparison. Leaving one chunk of C++ code on a very durable medium for millions of years shouldn't lead to any change.

But, if there are many copies (or many different sets of C++ code) and the bytes are randomly altered due to environmental conditions over millions, you might see something useful crop up. You'll also see many, many dead ends, which we've also seen throughout the history of life on this planet.

Without getting into the giant debate about evolution, it's very easy to see how mutations arise and that most of them are harmful. You or I or nature start tinkering with chromosomes, something's going to happen and most times it won't be good.

But, if there are many copies (or many different sets of C++ code) and the bytes are randomly altered due to environmental conditions over millions, you might see something useful crop up. You'll also see many, many dead ends, which we've also seen throughout the history of life on this planet.

Without getting into the giant debate about evolution, it's very easy to see how mutations arise and that most of them are harmful. You or I or nature start tinkering with chromosomes, something's going to happen and most times it won't be good.

I'm posting this video to demonstrate what Garak said, not to go into the R part of the argument...he's not stating where the clock parts came from, that once they were there, mutations occur...changes take forever, then happen quickly...

The way I see it is leaving C++ code alone for millions of years will not eventually yeild a compilation of working, purposeful software.

I left a few lines of C++ code on my desktop for a few days and it is beginning to smell.

You must be cautious if you want to make anything remotely resembling an apt comparison. Leaving one chunk of C++ code on a very durable medium for millions of years shouldn't lead to any change.

But, if there are many copies (or many different sets of C++ code) and the bytes are randomly altered due to environmental conditions over millions

Whoa whoa whoa, how are they being replicated, and what is randomly altering them in such a way that they happen to come across successful viable replication? How did "they" (the basic protiens) even come to exist, and then happen to adhere to rules allowing them to interact perfectly with each other in such ways as to viably produce DNA- a collective set of parameters upon only a few, nessecary ones are expressed?

Quote:

, you might see something useful crop up. You'll also see many, many dead ends, which we've also seen throughout the history of life on this planet.

We're not seeing 'half-baked' blobs of incoherent biology anywhere, though. Statistically, most life in existence right now should be little more than tumors with any given construction. Instead we see well developed examples of finished, viable creatures. Even considering extinct species that didn't 'survive' per se, how would they have evolved into exactly the finished beings they are/were through phyletic gradualism only to suddenly no longer be competent enough to survive and succomb to "darwinism"? Isn't is strange that finished, viable creatures are all we can find and not so many one armed tumor monsters?

Quote:

It's easy to see when a finely coded machine is corrupted, you get tumors and cancers and other such malignant mutations, but even in my wildest dreams, I can't imagine those tumors working themselves out into magnificent biological beings (and most certainly not randomly working itself out into the marvel of the conscious mind).

Is anyone familiar with the works of Stephen Jay Gould?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back