Lexus Toyota "Lifetime ATF" - baloney

I ran into issues with my 17 Subaru with CVT. Same Subaru comments of it's lifetime fluid. Yet none of these guys have a legitimate definition of what "lifetime" means. To me "lifetime" is about 200-250k when I'm probably not wanting the vehicle anymore even if it's a ok. To some it's 300k others 100k. IMHO auto manufacturer's definition of lifetime is 3-5 years at about 45k to 60k miles and trade-in time.
Yeah, just coming up on 60k in a 17 Forester and called a couple Indy shops and a couple dealers. One dealer said do CVT fluid at 90k, the other said it was lifetime but 150k is a good time if you still have the car, maintenance booklet I think kind of mentions it at 60k or 90k, Indy shops said they do 60k and the dealer just does a drain and refill. Indy shop pulls the whole pan and drains it all they said. Very interesting, honestly.

Yeah, just coming up on 60k in a 17 Forester and called a couple Indy shops and a couple dealers. One dealer said do CVT fluid at 90k, the other said it was lifetime but 150k is a good time if you still have the car, maintenance booklet I think kind of mentions it at 60k or 90k, Indy shops said they do 60k and the dealer just does a drain and refill. Indy shop pulls the whole pan and drains it all they said. Very interesting, honestly.

Hmmm I believe the CVT in your Subaru does not have a traditional transmission pan to drop.

It is to the detriment of this board that a poster would be insulting to MolaKule, who contributes so much. Transmission fluids are right in Molakule's wheelhouse. I especially tuned in here because my vehicle is spec'd for the infamous WS fluid in both the CVT and the rear axle. So much for learning something.

Hmmm I believe the CVT in your Subaru does not have a traditional transmission pan to drop.
I was wondering about that. I actually looked up the parts and I believe a filter screen is mentioned, and it was included in their quote. They said they pull all that out and clean it as part of the service, I believe. Maybe I misunderstood.

It is to the detriment of this board that a poster would be insulting to MolaKule, who contributes so much. Transmission fluids are right in Molakule's wheelhouse. I especially tuned in here because my vehicle is spec'd for the infamous WS fluid in both the CVT and the rear axle. So much for learning something.
I couldn't read it all. 1. My basic calc based physics from decades ago gives me enough knowledge to not quite understand it all. 2. The intellectual chest thumping isn't entertaining when I have things to do between the two. 3. What's the conclusion? Are these CVT fluids lifetime, or should we change them? What page of this thread are those opinions listed? LOL My warranty and maintenance booklet eludes to/mentions changing in the severe service portion.

I don't know why people insist on calling these transmissions "non serviceable". So it doesn't have a dipstick....big deal.

You crawl under it, drain it, pour in the new fluid and do whatever song and dance your particular manufacturer recommends to check the fluid level.

Frankly, after doing several DAFs on my Tacoma over the years, I actually like the check procedure. Takes all the guess work out of it. In comparison to our Yaris with a "serviceable" tranny, which still required a bit of guess work, even after checking the typical amount of fluid drain from the owner's manual and a couple of days post change to get the fluid level just right.

Dipstick or not.....it's still hole out....hole in. YouTube will tell you the rest

If you haven't been ragged on on this forum you are not posting enough.
Don't ask me how I know...

C’mon, Jeff, you only get ragged when folks get tired of the Tesla cheerleader posts. After a few hundred of those, well...
You asked for it...
Tesla Roadster.jpg

Last edited:
In older transmissions, the 'spring rate' of the spring in the pressure regulator body modulated the fluid flow in an attempt to maintain the needed pressure. When GM tested the lower viscosity fluids in older transmissions, they found that the pump volume, pump flow rate, and spring rate was sufficient to accommodate them, which is why they back-speced the Dexron VI fluid to those older transmissions.
Something I’ve always wondered about is one specific transmission that GM *didn’t* back-spec to dex vi - the four speed “MP” automatic installed in Saturn sedans. My knowledge of this transmission is only that there are manual and automatics in the same MP family, and that the valve body eventually wearing out is common. If I remember right, on a bottle of dex vi it specifically states that it replaces dex iii in every application aside from this one, among two or three others? On Saturn forums people say it’s due to the lower viscosity of dex vi but that doesn’t satisfy my curiosity.

I couldn't read it all. 1. My basic calc based physics from decades ago gives me enough knowledge to not quite understand it all. 2. The intellectual chest thumping isn't entertaining when I have things to do between the two. 3. What's the conclusion? Are these CVT fluids lifetime, or should we change them? What page of this thread are those opinions listed? LOL My warranty and maintenance booklet eludes to/mentions changing in the severe service portion.
My experience is that there is no such thing as a "Lifetime" fluid. and until we have at our disposal a perfect base oil and a perfect additive package, there will never be one.

In the case of CVT's, I base my views on the fact that CVT's "shear" fluids much worse than MT's or step-shifts due to their internal construction. Hence I suggest change-out on a Severe-service schedule or sooner, which I believe is advantageous for the CVT.

DirectRjection said:

I try not to take anything personal. as I feel my primary goal is to educate and to clarify, as in;

Last edited:
Something I’ve always wondered about is one specific transmission that GM *didn’t* back-spec to dex vi - the four speed “MP” automatic installed in Saturn sedans. My knowledge of this transmission is only that there are manual and automatics in the same MP family, and that the valve body eventually wearing out is common. If I remember right, on a bottle of dex vi it specifically states that it replaces dex iii in every application aside from this one, among two or three others? On Saturn forums people say it’s due to the lower viscosity of dex vi but that doesn’t satisfy my curiosity.
My only info on the MP series was that it was an automated manual transmission. Other than that, I'll have to defer to member clinebarger.

My question would be: Were there other factors contributing to bore wear such as incompatible metallurgies between a steel valve and an aluminum alloy body?

Last edited:
I plan to keep my Tundra and my wife's Rx 350 for a long time so I think 60K miles seems unreasonable for transmission fluid changes. I don't do any real towing and both vehicles have a pretty easy life but the fluid will be 6 years old by then.

I plan to keep my Tundra and my wife's Rx 350 for a long time so I think 60K miles seems unreasonable for transmission fluid changes. I don't do any real towing and both vehicles have a pretty easy life but the fluid will be 6 years old by then.
For a change it could be a bit long but you could do a cooler line exchange every 60 and that'd probably serve you great if that suits your fancy.

I've used regular and LV fluids back to back.

I run 90psi at idle & 180psi at WOT with Amsoil SS ATF, both at approx 170f pan fluid temp.

I remember PM'ing with MolaKule picking his brains about the LV fluids a couple years back, also asked about Dex-6.

He gave me the thumbs up on the Amsoil SS LV ATF, and as it also had similar chemistry to my usual fluid, so I ordered up a couple cases.

After a converter swap, I filled the transmission with Amsoil's LV SS ATF, and retested hot pressures - they were practically identical to the regular Amsoil SS ATF.

Aside from flashing approx 125-150rpm higher (desired, in this scenario), pan fluid temperatures/lockup characteristics etc were pretty identical.

19 quart total capacity, I refilled with 17 quarts, didn't bother draining the residual fluid left in the front mounted trans cooler or the coolant to ATF heat exchanger.

Since then, I went with a sightly faster spooling secondary turbo CHRA, so after the next converter change, I refilled the system with the regular SS ATF again as I have a few cases always handy.

I do drain the pan & change the sump filter about 5k miles after any lockup converter swaps though.

Balancing airflow/IP & nozzle flow with spool speed/launch, all with minimal preboost tailpipe puff in a mechanical single injection event coal-burner can get expensive...but oh so satisfying when all the above arrive at a happy conclusion.

The current setup gives me a clean 454/955 at the wheels, not much compared to today's chipped/tuned trucks, but my rig weighs less than 5700lbs wet.

Back