Lexus rx330 -high mileage oil

is there any of the high mileage oils that might help with a slight oil leak on a 2004 Lexus rx330? Mileage Around 140k

The answer is, maybe. You'll just have to try out different high mileage oils and see if any helps. A favorite of mine when it comes to high mileage is Valvoline Maxlife. Give it a try and if nothing improves, move on to M1 high mileage, then Pennzoil high mileage, etc etc.

Leaky rear valve covers were common on these 3MZ engines. Its a bear to get to and you need to remove the intake to get there.

Id try the Maxlife as previously mentioned for the next 15-20k, observe the results and go from there.

Inspect and fix leaks first if possible before using a HM oil. Nothing wrong with a HM oil but if the leaks can be fixed you'll be better off.

You can try Napa HM which is on sale this month
$2.89/qt for syn blend HM
$3.59/qt for synthetic HM
(their synthetic non-HM is $3.39)
Sale ends on Monday!

Leaky rear valve covers were common on these 3MZ engines. Its a bear to get to and you need to remove the intake to get there.

Yep, that engine, that mileage/age, nearly certainly rear valve covers. No cure short of replacing.

It's really not THAT bad a job. Also, if you haven't replaced the plugs, a new set of iridium is due and then do both jobs together along with that rear PCV valve. You just need basic hand tools and some patience. Plenty of DIY vids/threads on it out there. Stubby 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets really help for the firewall area work.

Before I did the job, I did in fact find that Mobil 1 10w-30HM reduced loss more than running Pennzoil Platinum, for example. I have run that oil in this engine since and the engine runs the same and uses the same amount of oil between changes (about 2 ounces per 1k miles. Yes, ounces) at 325k miles as it did at 150k. Great engines.

Yep, that engine, that mileage/age, nearly certainly rear valve covers. No cure short of replacing.

It's really not THAT bad a job. Also, if you haven't replaced the plugs, a new set of iridium is due and then do both jobs together along with that rear PCV valve. You just need basic hand tools and some patience. Plenty of DIY vids/threads on it out there. Stubby 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets really help for the firewall area work.

This. Fix the leak. You will be much happier.

It’s my moms car. Found out it’s valve cover gaskets as some of you thought

she had to get the knock sensors replaced and they went ahead and did valve cover gaskets also.

thanks for the help

Back