Letting A Car "Sit" As Opposed To "Running It" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've personally bought cars that were several model years old with low mileage. In each instance, those cars developed oil leaks. I'm under the impression this is due to sitting for long periods of time; I'm not the only who believes this either.

It would be best to drive it occasionally on an extended trip to get everything up to temperature.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
I'd start and drive the car for 20-30 minutes at least twice a month. You want to keep minimal gas in it and try to use it and refresh over time. A fuel stabilizer is typically required.

Collector and show cars are different type of beast - most are prepped specifically to not be run, and most have no gas in them as that is the most troublesome fluid to deal with long term. Some show and collector cars are destined to never run again.

Absolutely the worst idea.

Do not start a vehicle unless you plan on driving it. Unhook the battery to prevent drain.
When I park my summer car I change the oil a week before parking it. Add a can of motor oil saver to prevent seal shrinkage,fog the intake and leave it.
Most wear happens during warm up. Starting a vehicle just to let it run increases wear. No start means no wear.
It's that simple. Starting a vehicle just to let it idle is absolutely stupid. Accelerated wear for what. To sit in a garage.

I would worry most about the battery and the brakes. Fuel stabilizer if more than 2 months of sitting on E10 (or find E0 fuel). New fluid for the brake system every 2 years. Look over all brake components often.

Grand-MIL had a 2003 Cav, 28kmi on it. Store to home to store sort of thing. I was not responsible for maintenance. Original battery (!!!), never failed to start, body rusting away but a reasonable vehicle for it's purpose. Brakes gave out a few months ago while driving, luckily my MIL was at the wheel and is adept at emergency maneuvers. I'm told there were no outward warning signs, probably rotted from the inside out.

So yeah. Please watch the brakes.

Sounds like when people idle their car occasionally during a winter slumber, they should remember to apply the brakes a few times. Obviously, driving it is better.

I don't think it makes much difference on modern cars.

The Jaguars will sit six months to a year or so before I get around to driving one. They always work fine. Ditto with the S-10.

The Solstice has been driven once or twice in the last three years - fine every time. If I ever get around to driving it again, I expect it will be fine.

Air up the tires, put a trickle charger on it, forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back