Let's Talk About Oil and Lawn Mowers

I just re-seeded the entire lawn today 😎👍

I ran 5w30 RP HMX in the rider last summer - no issues. Because I'm curious, I have switched to Amsoil 0w40 4 stroke oil. The tractor is running cooler so it's ok to experiment,but at the end of the day,as long as the oil is full I wouldn't worry about it.
Nice, but I would have waited until the fall. Maybe it's cooler where you live, but it is 85 degress here.

Anyways, I'm considering buying a jug of SuperTech High Milleage Full Synthetic 10w30, Quaker State 5w40, or Mobil 1 15w50.
I'm not good a deciding. lol

Reactions: JC1
Any store brand synthetic 10/30 or 10/40. (Exceeds any small engine requirement) And change according to hours suggested in the manual. Half the hours for dirty, dusty conditions. My 15 hp kohler is 50 hours standard and 25 hours dirty/dusty.

Nice, but I would have waited until the fall. Maybe it's cooler where you live, but it is 85 degress here.

Anyways, I'm considering buying a jug of SuperTech High Milleage Full Synthetic 10w30, Quaker State 5w40, or Mobil 1 15w50.
I'm not good a deciding. lol
I'd go with the supertech h m 10/30. Thats good oil! Almost all the store brands are the same product per product. I just bought a gallon of kmart synthetic on clearance, made by Warren,

mrlawnguy is going to spend all his money on a unnecessary boutique oil because he thinks it will run btter than a Super tech conventional, thats fuzzy math when your busting hump in a lawn care business

I'm wondering what the "best" oils would be for a hardworking lawn mower would be. I would like an oil that I can buy at Walmart. I change oil every other month.
I'm not trying to start a war. Just looking to learn some information.

A synthetic 10w30

Rotella T6 15w40

Rotella t6 5w40

Mobil 15w50

Euro 5w40

Euro 0w40
My choices would be as follows:

1. Rotella T6 15w-40 which should have 3.7 or greater HTHS.

2. Synthetic 10w-30 meeting ACEA A3/B3 which should have 3.5 or greater HTHS. M1 10w-30 HM is one such oil. Note that 10w-30 oil can have a minimum HTHS of 2.9 while most are 3,1 or higher.

3. Rotella T6 5w-40 which should have 3.5 or greater HTHS. I place this choice third because it may be more reliant on VIIs and there is no reason to start a lawn mower at 5w temperatures anyway.

Last edited:
I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 with great results, most important thing though is that the mower should be at the full mark with oil.

3. Rotella T6 5w-40 which should have 3.5 or greater HTHS. I place this choice third because it may be more reliant on VIIs and there is no reason to start a lawn mower at 5w temperatures anyway.
I agree with that. When i had a small motorcycle, i could feel the gear shifts get notchy with the t-6 when it sheared down. With a 15w40 i never got that notchy shift between oil changes.

Last edited:
I agree with that. When i had a small motorcycle, i could feel the gear shifts get notchy with the t-6 when it sheared down. With a 15w40 i never got that notchy clutch between oil changes.
I got on the RT6 5w-40 bandwagon for OPE two or three years ago. Presently only my generators have it in the sump because they could be called upon to run anywhere from 0-100F. I keep them in the garage, so they would never actually start below 30F. They may be headed back towards M1 10w-30 HM or on towards RT6 15w-40 when the time arrives. That said, I have no complaints about the RT6 5w-40.

I purchased a Toro Super Recycler self propelled mower with a 5.5 hp B&S engine in 1997. The Toro dealer ask me if I did my own vehicle oil changes and when I said yes, he told me that the key to long engine life on the Toro mowers was to change the oil using either straight 30 or 10W30 motor on the holidays - Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor day and I should never have any engine problems.

Well, the B&S engine is still running strong and it does not burn any oil and I've never taken the engine apart to adjust the valves, decarbonize the cylinder head, etc. and all I've ever run was Havoline 30 weight or Havoline 10w30 (it's been on 10w30 since 2002). At this rate, I imagine the mower will outlive me!

Are you tipping the mower too much? This can happen if you turn the mower too far on its side.
Hmmm......I do have to tip it when I change the oil to access the drain plug. Next time I do it I’ll remove the filter or make sure I tip it the other way...
Otherwise my yard is level....

mrlawnguy is going to spend all his money on a unnecessary boutique oil because he thinks it will run btter than a Super tech conventional, thats fuzzy math when your busting hump in a lawn care business
Lol. I think what I'm dong now is probably good enough. ST 10w30 syn, every 2-3 months. I do check the level every time I pull the mower out, and I have only added a few drops since I changed it after last cut in November.

I use Rotella T6 5w-40 in all small engines (ZTR, generator, log splitter, golf cart) and also my larger diesel tractor. Makes it easy having one oil for all.

I buy the Rotella T5 10W-30 by the gallon from Wal Mart and use it in my 1989 John Deere rider and portable generator.

Always been straight 30.
We've a 40 year old Sensation featuring a B&S Rotating valve engine.
In a competent parts store they had straight 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60.
I bought 40. This month I'll change the oil and use 30.
I'm hoping I'll hear no difference in engine noise. That's not a fully scientific test but for a contraption it might do.
I'll use the "silenter" oil.

Back