Lets talk about Bourbon

Old Forester 1910 is my fave outta those 4 special releases.
That’s the one with the heavily charred barrels to represent the time their factory burnt down (at least I think). I watched a video of a blind taste test and the 1910 beat out the 1920. I was at the liquor store last night and I held a bottle of the 1910 up to the 1920 and the 1910 was pretty noticeably darker. I haven’t tried either.

That’s the one with the heavily charred barrels to represent the time their factory burnt down (at least I think). I watched a video of a blind taste test and the 1910 beat out the 1920. I was at the liquor store last night and I held a bottle of the 1910 up to the 1920 and the 1910 was pretty noticeably darker. I haven’t tried either.
The 1910 has a noticeably oak/sweetness that the others don't quite have and the 1920 has the alcohol kick (57.5% abv will do that).

Sister distillery Woodford Reserve (both distilleries owned by Brown-Forman) also has a double oak expression and wouldn't ya know it they're eerily similar?

Woodford also makes an exceptional rye whiskey.
1646408528016.jpg

The 1910 has a noticeably oak/sweetness that the others don't quite have and the 1920 has the alcohol kick (57.5% abv will do that).

Sister distillery Woodford Reserve (both distilleries owned by Brown-Forman) also has a double oak expression and wouldn't ya know it they're eerily similar?

Woodford also makes an exceptional rye whiskey.
View attachment 91282
Good to know. I don't think I want to be overpowered with something that I can't drink. I have a couple higher content selections already and it's tough for me to sip.

not that you said it but IMO you implied that Jack Daniels is Bourbon. Years ago I was corrected by a good friend and JD lover that it is NOT Bourbon, but a sour mash whiskey... IMO it tastes great is probably my favorite drink.
Jack Daniels technically is a bourbon as it meets all of the ingredient and processing requirements for bourbon. They choose to labeled it as sour mash to distinguish it from other bourbons. Sour mash simply means that some spent mash from a previous batch is added to the next batch to control pH, a process practiced by most major bourbon producers. How they label it for marketing is their choice.

Good to know. I don't think I want to be overpowered with something that I can't drink. I have a couple higher content selections already and it's tough for me to sip.
Personally I’ve found anything north of 50% abv can be challenging for consumption (some more so than others).

Several years ago I purchased a few Glenmorangie Astar 10 yr old cask strength scotch bottled at 60% abv. Long story short - I’d swear I could taste the enamel melting from my teeth. I ended up watering it down to where I found it tolerable which was probably around it’s flagship whisky at 43% abv. Could’ve saved myself $30 per bottle had I just stuck with the original.

The story of Jack Daniel's and the legal definition of Tennessee whiskey has been interesting. Check this out (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_whiskey) and focus on the "Legal status" section. It's interesting and the establishment of the legal definition is quite recent.
“Lincoln County Process” of filtering the spirit thru charred sugar maple is what makes JD a “Tennessee Whiskey” and the good folks at the distillery made sure we were aware of that while on the tour. Personally I much prefer their rival George Dickel No12 - better all around.
1646468612778.jpeg

Finally getting around to trying it. It's quite nice.

Also tried Angel's Envy at a bar the other night, and liked it.

hfh4nO0h.jpg
I have the Makers Mark 46 at home, very nice. I'll have to try the 101.

Just picked up Old Forrester 1910....very nice, very sweet. It's a relatively easy sipper at 93 proof. I see the Angel's Envy in the liquor store all the time, maybe I'll pick one up.

Gotta echo the sentiment with the Makers Mark...Overall they have a very good line of bourbons - even their entry level is better than most others out there in the same price range.

So I picked up these chilling cubes on a whim. The idea is to not dilute your drink which inadvertantly happens if you use ice, but honestly, some water dilution is sometimes helpful in bringing out the flavors, so these cubes are going back.

QJPe8kyl.jpg

pappy van winkle 23 years old is good stuff.
barrell craft spirits makes very good bourbon.
knob creek single barrell bourbon 9 years old is very good and not expensive.
whistlepig boss hog releases. not bourbon but very good rye whisky.

Running low on the Costco bourbon, which is pretty good. Also liked Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig, and one of the Old Forester (1492 maybe?). Did not care for 4 Roses small batch and a couple others, like Rebel Yell (haha). Went to one of the really big discount wine/liquor shops here in MA and i was blown away and almost bewildered by the huge number of Bourbon brands/variations available. I just don’t remember there being that many the last time i shopped, which was probably 2+ years ago (not a big drinker). Have the number of distiller companies and/or brands gone up appreciably in the last couple years? And that was just the Bourbon shelf section, nevermind the high Rye and other shelf sections.

Running low on the Costco bourbon, which is pretty good. Also liked Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig, and one of the Old Forester (1492 maybe?). Did not care for 4 Roses small batch and a couple others, like Rebel Yell (haha). Went to one of the really big discount wine/liquor shops here in MA and i was blown away and almost bewildered by the huge number of Bourbon brands/variations available. I just don’t remember there being that many the last time i shopped, which was probably 2+ years ago (not a big drinker). Have the number of distiller companies and/or brands gone up appreciably in the last couple years? And that was just the Bourbon shelf section, nevermind the high Rye and other shelf sections.
I'm not a bourbon expert, but the bourbon industry has taken off over the last few years. Seems as if everyone is trying to get involved. Typically in MA or NH I'm seeing 30-40 different brands on the shelves. Wild Turkey alone will throw 8-9 different bourbons at you.

I'm not a bourbon expert, but the bourbon industry has taken off over the last few years. Seems as if everyone is trying to get involved. Typically in MA or NH I'm seeing 30-40 different brands on the shelves. Wild Turkey alone will throw 8-9 different bourbons at you.
Sounds about right with the 30+ brands with multiple variations of each brand. Had to be a 30’ long shelf unit, at least 5 tiers of shelves. This does not include multiple end caps and several stacks on the floor with other promotional bourbons. Some brands had two variations of bourbon, while others have 5+ variations.

Back