Lets talk about Bourbon

Very good stuff for the money. For a little more money, try EW 1783 (I like it on the rocks).
EW 1783 or Jim Beam black label for me.

Interesting see below-who would of thunk it?
We need to pick up the pace.
Who drinks the most whiskey?

Image result
In terms of whiskey consumption, India is the world's highest. The Indian population consumed one billion calories. Bank of America Merrill Lynch estimates that Canada consumed 5.5 billion litres of whiskey last year, far outpacing the United States with 462 million litres.

EW 1783 or Jim Beam black label for me.

Interesting see below-who would of thunk it?
We need to pick up the pace.
Who drinks the most whiskey?

Image result
In terms of whiskey consumption, India is the world's highest. The Indian population consumed one billion calories. Bank of America Merrill Lynch estimates that Canada consumed 5.5 billion litres of whiskey last year, far outpacing the United States with 462 million litres.

😳 11 times the whiskey consumption with 1/10th of the population! Now that’s some serious stats!

Just my $0.02

Bank of America Merrill Lynch estimates that Canada consumed 5.5 billion litres of whiskey last year, far outpacing the United States with 462 million litres.
That seems very suspect.

According to the below, US has higher per capita whiskey consumption, and US obviously has a much larger population.

countries-drink-most-whiskey.png

I've definitely heard of that Sazerac!

I want to take a tour of that Jack Daniels distillery, that place is mostly the reason now for my bourbon obsession - a friend of mine went a few years ago and since he's been back he's been drinking bourbon. I found it interesting and recently jumped on board. I'd also like to take some tours in Kentucky.
Go tour jack! I did it twice is awesome

I keep hearing that Four Roses Bourbon was very good for it's price point so I bought a bottle.
The cork stopper is a nice touch.
I also so have a bottle of what is to me is the best bang for the buck Jim Beam Black.
I tried some Four Roses and Jim Beam Black back to back and the Four Roses held up well and I would buy it again.
I'm a under $30 bottle Bourbon drinker.
After 3 drinks it doesn't matter what I'm drinking,I'm a bit of a lightweight.

I keep hearing that Four Roses Bourbon was very good for it's price point so I bought a bottle.
The cork stopper is a nice touch.
I also so have a bottle of what is to me is the best bang for the buck Jim Beam Black.
I tried some Four Roses and Jim Beam Black back to back and the Four Roses held up well and I would buy it again.
I'm a under $30 bottle Bourbon drinker.
After 3 drinks it doesn't matter what I'm drinking,I'm a bit of a lightweight.
Someone bought me a bottle of Four Roses Single barrel, it’s 100 proof or so. Haven’t tried it yet, although I did open it...loved cork stopper. Had a nice smell to it. Think it’s around $50 bucks for the single barrel.

Bardstown, Kentucky is a Bourbon making community. I can't have any alcohol because I have Porphyria and doctor says any can trigger an attack.

Always wanted to give this a try, very rare where I am. But a friend found one for $57 bucks at a super market (of all places). Got lucky

Attachments

• E77EC431-8750-405D-B783-10DEAE39EB8C.jpeg
    E77EC431-8750-405D-B783-10DEAE39EB8C.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
  • E2455468-1F1F-42E9-9967-B530CDF05E2F.jpeg
    E2455468-1F1F-42E9-9967-B530CDF05E2F.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 22
So I decided to treat myself to some Woodford reserve last weekend. Enjoying some tonight as I smoke a 14lbs brisket. Gonna be a long night if I keep this recipe up.

Just my $0.02

Attachments

• D8B23ADB-87AF-45CF-8115-8E39B78EEA39.jpeg
    D8B23ADB-87AF-45CF-8115-8E39B78EEA39.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 13
  • 6F060962-2285-4BC6-A2C4-E846A70B35AD.jpeg
    6F060962-2285-4BC6-A2C4-E846A70B35AD.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 13
I got myself about 6 to 8 bottles of this from a local liquor store that choose it's own barrel.

61.25% (This pic has a different abv) Very tasty but gives me a headache the next day. Ironically, I have some Octomore 11.3 that is 61.7% and Octomore 12.3 which is 62.1 % and it doesn't give me a headache.

1662254022648.jpg

I am both biased and spoiled, as I have a very close friend who works for Beam. I visit with him frequently and therefore I get a lot of free tastings.

There are some truly fabulous bourbons out there.
There are many excellent ones.
There are plenty of good "every day sippin" examples.
There are some real stinkers out there.

Some uber expensive bourbons are not any better than a decent $25 bottle. I've seen some folks spend upwards of $300 and not get a good return on the investment. Just because a bourbon is $$$ does not automatically mean it's worth the price of admission. Some expensive bottles are wonderful, but not all. And some inexpensive products are really quite good. Others are garbage. Typically, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is as true for bourbon as it is for cars, cigars, stereo speakers, firearms, etc ...
There seems to be a law of dimishing returns on bourbon, not unlike wine, cigars, etc. Spend more and you'll get more, but the cost may not return the percentage of value. Spend $100 vs $25; are you getting a bourbon that's 4x better tasting? Not always, if at all. Most any decent bourbon will cost between $20-$50; after that, you may not really be getting the value for your dollar. I've had penty of delicious bourbons that were over $100, but they weren't THAT much better than a $45 bottle.

The bourbon industry is seeing the same explosion in "start-ups" that craft beer did a few decades ago. Just about every place wants to up their game by trying their hand in making brown juice. A few are pretty good at it, but many are just preying upon the unknowing consumer by being "novel" in their approach and presentation. I tend to stick with the established great brand marketers; Beam, Buffalo Trace, B&F, etc (and all the sub-brands they own). Beam alone has the following: Beam, Bookers, Bakers, Basil Haden, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Ol Tub, Old Grandad, Repeal Batch, etc, etc, etc ... And many of those have their own sub-brands (BH for example comes in the standard 6 year, but also a 10 year, and a Subtle Smoke, the Toast, Dark Rye; all yummy!).

Also, I don't believe there is a "wrong" way to drink a bourbon. Some like it on the rocks, some like it with a splash of water, some like it "neat" (cut to some preferred proof). If you're happy with the way you like it, then drink it! About the only thing I find a bit offensive is when someone takes a very good bourbon and then pours it into a sugar soda (Coke for example); kind of a waste IMO - if you're going to do that, just use a base-level bourbon.

My go-to bourbon is typically Beam Black Label or Double-Oak; I can get them easily at Kroger for less than $20. Excellent hooch for the price!

I am both biased and spoiled, as I have a very close friend who works for Beam. I visit with him frequently and therefore I get a lot of free tastings.

There are some truly fabulous bourbons out there.
There are many excellent ones.
There are plenty of good "every day sippin" examples.
There are some real stinkers out there.

Some uber expensive bourbons are not any better than a decent $25 bottle. I've seen some folks spend upwards of $300 and not get a good return on the investment. Just because a bourbon is $$$ does not automatically mean it's worth the price of admission. Some expensive bottles are wonderful, but not all. And some inexpensive products are really quite good. Others are garbage. Typically, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is as true for bourbon as it is for cars, cigars, stereo speakers, firearms, etc ...
There seems to be a law of dimishing returns on bourbon, not unlike wine, cigars, etc. Spend more and you'll get more, but the cost may not return the percentage of value. Spend $100 vs $25; are you getting a bourbon that's 4x better tasting? Not always, if at all. Most any decent bourbon will cost between $20-$50; after that, you may not really be getting the value for your dollar. I've had penty of delicious bourbons that were over $100, but they weren't THAT much better than a $45 bottle.

The bourbon industry is seeing the same explosion in "start-ups" that craft beer did a few decades ago. Just about every place wants to up their game by trying their hand in making brown juice. A few are pretty good at it, but many are just preying upon the unknowing consumer by being "novel" in their approach and presentation. I tend to stick with the established great brand marketers; Beam, Buffalo Trace, B&F, etc (and all the sub-brands they own). Beam alone has the following: Beam, Bookers, Bakers, Basil Haden, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Ol Tub, Old Grandad, Repeal Batch, etc, etc, etc ... And many of those have their own sub-brands (BH for example comes in the standard 6 year, but also a 10 year, and a Subtle Smoke, the Toast, Dark Rye; all yummy!).

Also, I don't believe there is a "wrong" way to drink a bourbon. Some like it on the rocks, some like it with a splash of water, some like it "neat" (cut to some preferred proof). If you're happy with the way you like it, then drink it! About the only thing I find a bit offensive is when someone takes a very good bourbon and then pours it into a sugar soda (Coke for example); kind of a waste IMO - if you're going to do that, just use a base-level bourbon.

My go-to bourbon is typically Beam Black Label or Double-Oak; I can get them easily at Kroger for less than $20. Excellent hooch for the price!
Nice post. I drank Jim Beam for a week in Jamaica while I was on vacation, it was just your normal bottle/variety. Thought it was pretty decent for what it was. It was “top shelf” in Jamaica - bourbon isn’t very popular around palm trees and 100 degree weather. Lol. I have a bottle of Knob Creek 9 year that I payed $35 bucks for - I like the flavor profile a lot on ice now - but at first I didn’t care for it. Now it’s one of my favorites.

I have a collection, I’ve chased the Buffalo Trace stuff around a bit. Very tough to find in my area. Last year, when I first started dabbling in bourbon I was at a liquor store trying to find Wild Turkey 101 (which I love for mixing) and they were sold out...meanwhile there was a case of Eagle Rare sitting there, and I didn’t know what it was, so I passed. Next day went back to get one (after doing some research) and it was completely sold out. A year later had to order it online because it hasn’t been in my area since.

But you’re 100% correct, bourbon prices and bourbon quality are two very different things. There are plenty of $20-$25 dollar bottles that can surpass a $100 dollar bottle of something...Evan Williams White Label, Wild Turkey 101, Jim Beam. That have a big advantage over the smaller distilleries. IMO

I wish I could find it around here.

I was able to pick up a bottle of BT today - a rarity these days.
When I got into bourbon last fall, I was standing in my liquor store looking for Wild Turkey 101 (which was sold out) and the owner says to me, we just got a case of Eagle Rare in, my wife hates bourbon and she and I both love it, it won’t last long. And what did I do? I passed on it because I had never heard of it...like I said, I was new to bourbon. Did some research when I got home, went back the next day and it was completely sold out. 12 bottle gone in less than 24 hours. Haven’t seen it since. Had to order my bottle online and pay twice as much for it, but I must say it is really easy to drink. It’s really tasty and sweet. I like it a lot. Reminds me if of Old Forrester 1910.

Wife bought be a bottle of Blackened. Haven't tried it yet since I've been sick. Has anyone had it before?

Back