Let's see how Wix corrects this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been buying Wix WL10290XP filters from O'Reillys using the $5 off $10 coupons I've collected. Today I go to change the oil in my GM and pour a little oil in the filter and lube the o-ring. I tried to install the filter but it was clear it wasn't threading on. Upon closer examination it looks like the wrong baseplate was installed, or the wrong filter sticker was applied during manufacture. The filter I took off has a '22' stamped on the baseplate and the incorrect filter has a '3/4' stamp. I emailed their customer service asking what to do. I told them I don't think I can return the bad filter to O'Reillys because it has oil in and on the filter.

I noticed after I purchase the filter that it has a different amount of holes, but that's not unusual in the filter business. Date code 030918 E1 1116

Pics:
[Linked Image]

Me, I'd just take it back to O'R (along with correct one) and explain and show exactly what's shown here. With that 'I' would have difficult time imagining O'R wouldn't just do an exchange for new filter. Even with oil in it as that's perfectly understandable how that would happen with prep. Or should be imo.

I suppose if that didn't work, then I'd mess with Wix. My .02

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by Kestas
I once bought an oil filter where they forgot to machine the threads.

Now that's bad! Remember the brand?

This was 40 years ago. I think it was ACDelco.

Looks to me like it was mislabeled.

The medical industry has worse mistakes than this. Not a big deal IMO.

Yeah stick it to 'em return it to O'Rielly's and be sure you let their corporate know!! When the supplier contract comes up, O'Rielly can negotiate a better price, since it's their reputation on the line for selling such a crappy Wix filter. Might just win Champ Labs over as a supplier, you never know.

If you let Wix take care of it, then O'Rielly will never know...

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Is it Wix anymore I thought they were Mahle now.

Mann+Hummel

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Looks to me like it was mislabeled.

The medical industry has worse mistakes than this. Not a big deal IMO.

Until one falls off and takes out somebody's engine. OP should let Wix know, I bet there's a big run of this filter that has the wrong baseplate. The Mann & Hummel effect intensifies...

Somebody put the wrong filter in the wrong box....is all I would guess. Could have been at O'Reillys too right?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Somebody put the wrong filter in the wrong box....is all I would guess. Could have been at O'Reillys too right?

Should have the filter model number on the can. Think the OP's point was that both filters have the same model number on the can.

Originally Posted by LotI
I have been buying Wix WL10290XP filters from O'Reillys using the $5 off $10 coupons I've collected. Today I go to change the oil in my GM and pour a little oil in the filter and lube the o-ring...

And both filters are labelled and marked on the box AND filter can as WL10290XP?

They applied the wrong label. Not a big deal since the threads are 3mm apart no one would install it. No one who should be installing oil filters. If it was a coin you would have made a lot of money finding it. Nice looking filter. It could be the result of Mann firing people and hiring new ones for less money like Fram did. Or it just happened you got the rare labeling error.

Originally Posted by LotI
Yes
[Linked Image]

That's only one of the filters... can you take the same pic of both filters where you can see the label and the baseplate? That's a pretty big mistake for someone to incorrectly label the filter, but I agree it's not like it can be forced on erroneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back