Let's not blow a tire here....off to DT we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, since I nearly blew a tire yesterday, I'm thinking that dry rot may be catching up with these tires. Figured 9 years might be pushing it a bit..(guess I like to live on the edge
grin.gif
)

Funny after all my research, I'm just throwing a set of tires on this thing.(Got baby on the mind, don't have time anymore) Since DT has a good rep (and about 80-100 bucks in rebates), now seems like a good time as any....it's left me with some interesting choices...

Fisk Tires (made by BFG) - $47/each
Hankook Optimo 724 - $47/each
Falken sincra 828- $59/each
Kumho K21s- $65/each
General Altimax RTs- $69/each
Yoko Avid Touring s- 79/each
michelin Destiny- 90/each
michelin Defender- 105/each

I'm between mid grade (Generals, Yokos) and Critic's choice (defender). Even though I have the cash, I'm going to get both rebates and pay them off anyways... I'm leaning slightly toward the generals at the moment, but still keeping a open mind until I make the choice. I'm panning to pay this week, and install after these two big snows...

So, I'll throw out the question for your guys (keep the beatings down if you can.
wink.gif
) What 14s would you throw on?
(PS-these will be the last 14s I put on, as I am hunting for some 15 and 16 inch stock rims as we speak, though they will not go on for a decent while...)

PSS-they are not carrying the 724s in that size anymore by DT, and will be harder to get....

Of those listed I think I would get either General Altimax RT
or Yokohama Avid Touring-S.

I had Yokohama Avid Touring on LS400 some years ago, then Yokohama Avid Touring-S now. Touring-S is a good all around tire, good in very aspect of normal daily drive but does not excel in any area.

The Altimax RT looks similar to the Altimax HP which I personally have on alloys for my summer set -- they have been a fantastic tire.

Really like General Tires here. They seem to be very reasonable -- decent tire, decent price.

I'd get them.

I thought 14s were getting pricier due to lack of availability? Apparently not.

If you're getting new wheels in the foreseeable future anyway, I'd just throw a set of Optimos on there. Even the Fisk things would probably be fine.

I can assure you the Goodyear Wrangler Radials on my truck have a much worse tread pattern than anything you are looking at, and even those are totally fine in anything except a rain storm after a couple weeks of no rain. In that situation they are slick as [censored] and peel out at every light, but 95% of the time they are just as good as much more expensive tires. They were better in light snow than they are in a lot of rain situations. It seems like every other small truck around here is rocking the same [censored] Wranglers, so they can't be that bad.

Cheap tires FTW. Save your good tire money for the next set of wheels.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Yeah, since I nearly blew a tire yesterday, I'm thinking that dry rot may be catching up with these tires. Figured 9 years might be pushing it a bit..(guess I like to live on the edge
grin.gif
)

Funny after all my research, I'm just throwing a set of tires on this thing.(Got baby on the mind, don't have time anymore) Since DT has a good rep (and about 80-100 bucks in rebates), now seems like a good time as any....it's left me with some interesting choices...

Fisk Tires (made by BFG) - $47/each
Hankook Optimo 724 - $47/each
Falken sincra 828- $59/each
Kumho K21s- $65/each
General Altimax RTs- $69/each
Yoko Avid Touring s- 79/each
michelin Destiny- 90/each
michelin Defender- 105/each

I'm between mid grade (Generals, Yokos) and Critic's choice (defender). Even though I have the cash, I'm going to get both rebates and pay them off anyways... I'm leaning slightly toward the generals at the moment, but still keeping a open mind until I make the choice. I'm panning to pay this week, and install after these two big snows...

So, I'll throw out the question for your guys (keep the beatings down if you can.
wink.gif
) What 14s would you throw on?
(PS-these will be the last 14s I put on, as I am hunting for some 15 and 16 inch stock rims as we speak, though they will not go on for a decent while...)

PSS-they are not carrying the 724s in that size anymore by DT, and will be harder to get....

The Hankook Optimo H724's are a horrible tire anyway( or is that the H725? - maybe both - one of them anyway ). It is no loss that they are not available if they are the ones I have heard about before. The H727 is the one you would want if going with a Hankook. If the H727's are available in the size you need( you never list it? )that is what I would go for over any in the list if DT has them.

Strictly speaking of the ones you list the Yoko Avid Touring S is a pretty good tire. The only other one I would consider is the Michelin Defender. I believe Michelin's $70 off a set of 4 tires expired within the last day or two though so that would rule them out for me as it is the only way the cost of them would not be an issue for me? My Brother has the General Altimax RT's on his Grand Prix and HATES them FWIW( especially in the snow ).

Wish I had the exact size to better make a recommendation, and check pricing with DT and/or DTD pricing and rebates.

I would first check DTD pricing before going to DT because most often their advertised pricing is less than DT, and then get the price match at the b&m DT store.

Right off I'll say if money is no object, surely either of the Michelins are a good choice. But imo, either the of the mid pack tires, RT's or Avid Touring S should meet your needs for a good long time. Both have solid treadwear warranties and value pricing. I favor the Avid Touring because I have personal positive experience with them, now with second set. And if it makes a difference to you they are made in the US. The $10 difference in price seems a bit steep, but without size can't reference Tire Rack for a comparison.

All that said, based on the current DT rebate promo structure with "Best" tires getting the $100 rebate, the Michelins may be the best value. But, I'd have to do more research with specific tire size to figure the best deal between tires and DT or DTD pricing.

So, perhaps you could give the specific size.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Of those listed I think I would get either General Altimax RT
or Yokohama Avid Touring-S.

I had Yokohama Avid Touring on LS400 some years ago, then Yokohama Avid Touring-S now. Touring-S is a good all around tire, good in very aspect of normal daily drive but does not excel in any area.

+1. Suggested the same in yesterday's tire thread.

So keeping track, three recommendations for the Avid Touring-S. Yes, I can count to three. Seriously though, a solid all around tire, at a value price.

What are you driving and how long do you plan on keeping the vehicle. The Defender could get you to end of life of car. Look a cost per 32nd of tread assuming your alignment is good of course.

Look at the brand, not who its made by. Some companies make a cheaper line of tires, and the tires are not as good as their main line under their name.

TireRack has lots of reviews.

Treadepot (I think) has the best prices if you buy 4 (no shipping).

I had a set of Generals Altimax R something on my last Hyundai and really liked them. I'm not sure how they would do in a MI winter, however.

Couple additions I can add:

Size is 195/70/14 (Base Cavalier size)

At this point (for now) the car sees around 5k a year.

Car is very no frills...

You guys are thinking right along where I am. I'm slightly iffy about the Defenders...more do to the fact I'm not sure how long I'll have the car. I'm not really going to know that until our next little one comes along. My thinking is that it will stick around for quite a while (it's still low milage), but that could also depend of the wife's plans too..
eek.gif

The three mentioned so far are all in the running...but it might depend on DT as well...

Also, so far it looks the DT is still priced below DTD...

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Michelin. In my experience, nothing matches them.

+1, this is my recommendation as well.

Know nothing about the Michelin Destiny, but it appears with $100 rebate they would run ~$20 more a set than the Avid Touring S with $75 rebate. Otoh, the Michigan DT I looked at has the Defender @$107 is ~$87 more than the Avid Touring. With more research might give the Destiny's a look. Still like the Yoko Avid's though.

Also if you get/have a Care One Card, another $30 off and 6 month interest free with purchase.

Almost wish I needed tires, some nice DT rebates through month's end. Almost.

Get the fisks and fate will have you trip over a set of 195/65/15s on rims that fit in a month from now.
laugh.gif

Are your listed prices after rebates and out the door?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
....Are your listed prices after rebates and out the door?

No they aren't. If you want you can to see rebates plug in a Michigan DT store, all the prices and rebates show. Rebate amount depends on DT classification of tire. Good, better, best.

Given the use profile, Id go with the Yokos. While the Michelin would be the tire of choice, the mileage doesnt make it cost effective.

Its the same situation as on my 81 240D, which sees really low miles. The yokos are US made as opposed to most of the others.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Given the use profile, Id go with the Yokos. While the Michelin would be the tire of choice, the mileage doesnt make it cost effective.

Its the same situation as on my 81 240D, which sees really low miles. The yokos are US made as opposed to most of the others.

A good reason as well. Seems like both these and the RTs handle well too....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back