Lets Idle!

My neighbor bought a nice fairly new looking truck with a modified exhaust. Every time he starts it he lets it idle for ten minutes and then when he returns he idles for five minutes before turning it off. I can only guess is that he only drives a mile or two(small town) and thinks his truck needs to get warmed up.

Understand completely: Neighbors on one side have two modified trucks with loud exhausts. They remote start for 20 minutes at 5:30 AM.

They other side neighbors?…they have a WRX and Focus ST, both with fart can exhausts and they also start and run for 15 min before leaving.

Now I am a car guy with motorcycles, but I fire up and drive away!

It's illegal to leave the engine running unattended in most places. How much does it annoy you? If the cops "found out," he could get a ticket.
Never knew this. He's right.

You can check your own state's laws on the EPA's website, but here are the states that don't allow you to let your car idle (it's most of them):

Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Never knew this. He's right.

You can check your own state's laws on the EPA's website, but here are the states that don't allow you to let your car idle (it's most of them):

Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming
Almost every single state listed gives an exception for passenger vehicles and light trucks or for cold temperatures. Most of them are aimed at big diesel powered vehicles.

That sound can be very disturbing, especially early in the morning or late at night. Trust me, I know.
My neighbor has a clapped out c.2000 F-150 with a loud exhaust. It's a 5.4 Triton. Rusted out wheel wheels. Although the rust goes well with the faded Forest Green paint. I'm sure the exhaust is as rusted out as the fender wells. He idle a lots, thankfully he doesn't rev it until he pulls outs which signals relief.

On a recent trip to the Beemer shop the owner's son tried to sell me a $1100 Akrapovič slip on exhaust. I said no thanks, and added that "I like my neighbors" He made me feel that unless I am a nuisance to society I am not a true motorcycle rider.

Last edited:
It's illegal to leave the engine running unattended in most places. How much does it annoy you? If the cops "found out," he could get a ticket.
true in eu.
i saw a guy being gangbanged in the rear, by the city police. :ROFLMAO: he was not amused at all
he was driving with car closer to building. and he just destroyed part of the grass around walkway....

btw, biannual car checks here involves also loudness, i wonder if you have such checks on the otherside of the pond too.

Note the Texas exemptions...

Only applies to the following:
State Codes (only currently applicable to the following counties: Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, Williamson and the following cities: Austin, Bastrop, Elgin, Lockhart, Round Rock, San Marcos)

The provisions of §114.512 of this title (relating to Control Requirements for Motor Vehicle Idling) do not apply to:

(1) a motor vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000 pounds or less;
(2) a motor vehicle forced to remain motionless because of traffic conditions over which the operator has no control;
(3) a motor vehicle being used by the United States military, national guard, or reserve forces, or as an emergency or law enforcement motor vehicle;
(4) the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle providing a power source necessary for mechanical operation, not including propulsion, and/or passenger compartment heating, or air conditioning;
(5) the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle being operated for maintenance or diagnostic purposes; (6) the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle being operated solely to defrost a windshield;
(7) the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle that is being used to supply heat or air conditioning necessary for passenger comfort/safety in those vehicles intended for commercial passenger transportation or school buses in which case idling up to a maximum of 30 minutes is allowed;
(8) the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle used for passenger transit operations in which case idling up to a maximum of 30 minutes is allowed;
(9) the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle being used as airport ground support equipment; or
(10) the owner of a motor vehicle rented or leased to a person who operates the vehicle and is not employed by the owner.

In the 1970's, my brother had a loud (starting up) motorcycle / we lived in the suburbs.
My father would tell my brother,
"don't start it in our driveway, you'll wakeup the lady next store, push it down the street, then start it".

Well Dad, don't you think that will disturb those neighbors?
Ah, the good old days.

My neighbor lady does this with her Subaru. Thankfully it is stock but she cranks the radio and starts talking on her phone with bluetooth so the entire neighborhood can hear the conversation.

Back