Lets all ask ourselves a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you wasting your time in life on this board? Dont we all have better things to do? Are you too obsessed with OIL? I've noticed the number of post some members have on here, it scares me. I would hate to get old someday and look back at how much time I wasted being on this board obsessing about engine oil.
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

I've noticed the number of post some members have on here, it scares me.

I'm surprised you are willing to waste your time by checking something as trivial as number of posts.

I, for one, THANK those individuals on this board... who despite the fact that they have long ago answered their own personal oil questions... continue to spend time on BITOG to help others out with their questions.
patriot.gif

To me it is no different than any other type of community service activity.

Would you hate to get old someday thinking about how much time you wasted helping educate kids or helping the poor?

Come to think of it, the number of my posts that are directly related to oil scares me. Those posts make up maybe 5% of my total posts?

I would think a person with 5 posts is HARDLY in a position to criticize the long term members of this board. I can't possibly imagine how you could relate to the sense of community here with such little participation. If you don't feel you fit in, fine, get the information you need and go somewhere else. Otherwise, sit back and participate a while before you run your mouth.

I know this sounds harsh, but I don't know of any situation in life where a newbie is allowed to just come in and start criticizing without getting to know the place first. With 5 posts, you can't possibly know this place, I don't care how long you've been lurking.

My question is - there are message boards all over the internet dedicated (obsessed) to a million things - so why pick this forum and ask a question like that here?
tongue.gif

In comparison to forums dedicated to obsessions - we actually help a lot of people understand how to take care of their car (a $30,000 investment) and make it last.

I don't see a difference between someone who fixes computers and someone who fixes a car engine. Both people will have in depth knowledge how the device works and what they need to do to keep it working.

Here on BITOG we strive to know the best way we can keep the device (our cars/trucks) running. How do you do that? Understand what oil does and how it works. For computers - how a celeron processor vs a genuine intel processor differs.
tongue.gif

I don't see BITOG as a waste of time but as a collective group of people striving for excellence.
cheers.gif

Wow.
I like this forum because I've learned a ton in a short period of time.
I like a healthy (and sometimes heated) debate.
I like the lack of kids posting myspace links and not knowing how to use punctuation and sentences.

Why would you bother asking such a question?
You seem to have issues with how others spend their time.
That's odd, not 30,000 posts about cars.
I'd have a tough time getting anyone in my office or home to discuss this stuff as they all have their own obsessions.
smile.gif

Feel free to leave anytime.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
you are willing to waste your time by checking something as trivial as number of posts.

I'm retired so I don't waste 9 hours a day traveling/working.
smile.gif

Not all of the discussion is oil related. I picture it as more of an electronic pot belly stove that we're all sitting around on a cold winters day. We do have one thing in common, and that's a burning desire to learn more (or share more) about automotive maintenance. But if you look at the forum with the most posts, they are in the General and Off Topics section.

[ May 15, 2006, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: michaelc80 ]

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
I picture it as more of an electronic pot belly stove that we're all sitting around on a cold winters day.

Uh-oh no hope for this member. He still thinks its winter...lost track of the seasons while on BITOG board.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif

dif2, I contributed here originally at Bob ( yes THE Bob)Winters request.

Consider the second most expensive cost for most developed countries citizens is transportation, after housing.

If BITOG assists you in making your car run longer,cleaner,more efficiently, and that cuts your second most expensive cost, well hey, I say BITOG is a good deal.

Agreed there is a lot of noise here, however, please read a little deeper and glean those pearls amongst the weeds and bank it.

Terry

[ May 15, 2006, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
I picture it as more of an electronic pot belly stove that we're all sitting around on a cold winters day.

Uh-oh no hope for this member. He still thinks its winter...lost track of the seasons while on BITOG board.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Shoot, in Iowa the last few days it might as well still be winter!
grin.gif

It has been 28° every morning here at work getting to the high 30's in the afternoon.. Gorgeuos weather,the geese are everywhere. And I Get to go home to Hot ole Texas in a few Days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back