Les Schwab pricing/value

I bought several sets of Toyos from Schwab over the years. They literally ran out to help customers. Their warranty was excellent and free rotations and flat repairs saved money over time.

I haven't needed tires since Les died and the chain was sold.
Those were the days! Their customer service used to be second to none. It hasn't been that way for a while now though 😔

Les Schwabs around here are frequented by the crowd that rolls coal....I'll leave it at that.

I have never bought tires from Les Schwab because of their prices. They use to have the inclusive Toyo contract but lost it. 3rd tier tires at 1st tier prices. I bought many sets of Vredestein tires from Tirerack and had them shipped to my local Firestone and they charged me $78.00 to install. They were on Tirerack’s preferred installer list.
Being a recent transplant to the PNW, I was shocked at their prices and also shocked how many people swear by them. Do they offer good, friendly service? Yes. But I went Discount Tire because it was significantly cheaper for Michelin tires than some brand I've never heard of before moving to the PNW. I honestly don't understand their popularity and would love to know what I'm missing by not going there because they're SO popular out here. What am I missing? Can someone in this region educate me?

Being a recent transplant to the PNW, I was shocked at their prices and also shocked how many people swear by them. Do they offer good, friendly service? Yes. But I went Discount Tire because it was significantly cheaper for Michelin tires than some brand I've never heard of before moving to the PNW. I honestly don't understand their popularity and would love to know what I'm missing by not going there because they're SO popular out here. What am I missing? Can someone in this region educate me?
Costco is also a proud Pacific Northwest institution from the Seattle suburb of Kirkland/Issaquah and can’t be beat with Michelin when on sale. 😜

But going back on topic, when Les Schwab was still around at his namesake tire stores, it’s was their trademark “we come running to you” service, free flat repairs easy credit and somewhat gimmicky Where’s The Beef promo. They also had some other promo as well. I remember when they expanded to CA about 16 years ago. They are all over Oregon and Idaho, and parts of NorCal(Ukiah, Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park/Sebastopol, Martinez, Concord) and up and down the 5.

Do they still have the idiot policy of always replacing the calipers with EVERY brake job?

After telling my son to pass on a ripoff brake job price they quoted him when he was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island I would never deal with them.

I've noticed this loyalty as well. I've guessed it was due to a lack of competition in more rural areas, along with the service they had provided in the past.

I've noticed this loyalty as well. I've guessed it was due to a lack of competition in more rural areas, along with the service they had provided in the past.
When I drove between Portland and Salem a while ago, once I left Clackamas/Multnomah/Washington Counties it was nothing but Les Schwab shops up and down the 5 as well when I pulled into Salem.

Now, in Portland there was more choice.

I did read Les Schwab had profit sharing as well as a strong hire from within attitude - which plays into their service. Can’t do that with with a corporate or franchise chain.

When I moved to the PNW in 1998 every truck was running Toyo Open Country tires they bought from Les Schwab.

They used to be very good. You would drive into their parking lot and a clean cut guy wearing a white shirt would run out to you to ask what you needed. It was top notch customer service. They would air up or fix tires that you had purchased elsewhere.

After Mr Schwab passed the kids didn’t want anything to do with the business. The headquarters was in Prineville Oregon which is a far cry from the fancy coffee and wine bars of Portland. They sold it and it’s been downhill ever since.

I really like Discount Tire. When DT moved to my area I quickly signed up all my vehicles to their programs with tire rotation and all kinds of good programs. They opened the store a few years ago and I have never been happier. They treat my vehicles including the Corvette with care and do a great job. We have a Corvette and GM dealership 30 miles away that does a great job too.

Back