length of oci with QSUD and Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long could I run a potential oci with QSUD 0W-20 and a Fram ultra filter in an 09 Hyundai sonata 3.3L? It'll be this next winter. My driving is about 30% highway/backroads 50% interstate and 20% city. The car has about 86K on it and has no problems. I don't feather foot the car but I don't drive like an idiot.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Love the exact number. I'll be sure to stop at that exact mileage and change it regardless if I'm on the interstate or not, any longer my engine will surely blow
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
8,236 miles

Likely 10K for an OCI with the highway driving you noted, but how far is it (not short trips I am assuming)? The filter will still have 33% life in it at 10K
smile.gif

I was informed that because I'm not the origional owner, that the 10/100k warranty is void. So I'm doing the maintenance now, and I want to get my money's worth out of the products I buy. the owners manual say the ususl 3k under severe service, and 7.5K on normal opperating conditions, but I'm sure that the QS synthetic will go past 7.5k.
Originally Posted By: zach1900
I'm sure Hyundai has a maintenance schedule.

about 15 miles one way, I'll be making the trip ALOT because school is about to start back up for me.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Likely 10K for an OCI with the highway driving you noted, but how far is it (not short trips I am assuming)? The filter will still have 33% life in it at 10K
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jake54
about 15 miles one way, I'll be making the trip ALOT because school is about to start back up for me.
smile.gif

You should be fine then, especially if you have to add any during the run. There was a 17K run of QSUD that looked fine in the UOA. Be sure to keep the levels checked
smile.gif

17k??
that's impressive
shocked.gif

smile.gif

You should be fine then, especially if you have to add any during the run. There was a 17K run of QSUD that looked fine in the UOA. Be sure to keep the levels checked
smile.gif

OP, you likely know this already, but note that the V-6 Sonata (3.3L) of that generation has a 6-quart oil sump. I've read about places that mistakenly only put in 5 quarts. If you change your own oil, of course, you need not worry about that.

Also, I am not sure about the V-6, but I know the 4-cylinder Sonata of 2006-08 (and probably through 2010) was 'not' a DI engine. I knew someone who drove a 4-cylinder.

Barring very severe service conditions I think 7,500 miles is a safe bet for you.

DI motor?
Originally Posted By: Ram01
5000 miles max for a DI motor 😉😉😉
The 2009 3.3L was an MPI (multi-port injection) motor and not DI. In addition, I respectfully disagree with the statement that QSUD is only good for a 7500OCI. I ran QSUD 5W-20 in my 2006 Azera which was short tripped for 5K miles and it still had a TBN of 4.0. With no short tripping on your Sonata, I am confident that it can go 10K. TBN depletion is not linear and 1.0 is considered "done".

I'll probably just go 7-8K and call it good, it's gone 7K before on Valvoline Synpower, but after that I had a small oil leak from the valve cover right above the alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back