Length of hoses for bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to limited space of engine bay I have to mount the Frantz bypass filter to the battery tray on the driver side. The oil feed and return are on the passenger side. This means the hoses have to run across the engine bay. I assume shorter the hoses the better. In my case I can not avoid the lengthy hoses. But, how long is too long? What is the maximum length of a hose used in your bypass filter installation?

Sure shorter is better ..but you don't have a big flow demand. That is, I wouldn't worry about it. The resistance of the filter itself is WAY high compared to the resistance added by the length of the hose. If you want to conpensate for length ..use bigger diameter hose between the engine and the filter. Reduce at the outlet and inlet points. This will eliminate the length of the hose as a factor ..or at least to a great degree.

Length shouldn't be a problem, but what the hose lays on/rubs on can be. I ran all my Frantz hose inside 5/8" heater hose just to be safe. My return goes under/next to the a/c bracket and then under the motor mount. Don't want any rub throughs on a long trip!
Now If I could just get my carb to quit vapor locking i'd be real happy!
Mark

I just went to a auto part store to look for 5/8" heater hose. I was surprise how large the diameter of the hose was. The hose did not seem to be very flexible, either. I could not find any other smaller size hose that I could slip it over the Frantz oil hose. Any suggestions on how to protect the oil hose from rubbing against the surface? Thhanks.

Just cut a piece of heater hose (split it) and place it at the chafing points (where your oil hose can rub against something) ..wire tie it fast (so it don't vibrate) ...and be happy
smile.gif

Plastic wire looming works well also. It comes in many sizes and colors. I used it on my by-pass hoses and double layered it in higher stress areas.

I decided to start using truck hose on the Motor Guard. It is light and has a lot of protection. I put a filter on a new 6.0 Powerstroke Ford and used 19 ft of hose. I used polyester sleeve packing where the hose needed protection. I did a new Dodge Cummins Saturday and used 18 feet.
You can get sleeve packing at an electric or hose shop. I get mine from www.mcmaster.com. There are several choices. If you are protecting the hose from heat you can use the silicone-coated fiberglass sleeve packing. You will need some black plastic ties. The mcmaster.com catalog number for the 5/8 ID is 8772k56. I don't know why I bother with you guys
grin.gif

One time a guy had me run the hose thru a new piece of garden hose. A Winnebago Motor Home with a 454 Chevy. Twelve feet of hose.
The Motor Guard has a larger element but it will fit into about the same space as the Frantz.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back