Pics of Mack Centri-max filter

Thought some of you might find this neat. This is the Mack Centri-max cartridge for my EM7. It is used along side two large spin on full flow filters. I change it at every PM although it’s not required, mainly because the gasket gets stuck and is a nightmare to remove when it’s installed for a long time. No question on who makes it.

I believe Mack’s focus on lube oil cleanliness is a huge factor in why their engines have the reputation they do from this era.

Attachments

• C6A6B72F-053F-438A-A8D1-403B4121001C.jpeg
    C6A6B72F-053F-438A-A8D1-403B4121001C.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 122
  • D58321A5-C069-4A76-AB05-203B136C4C9D.jpeg
    D58321A5-C069-4A76-AB05-203B136C4C9D.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 26E54F05-E95E-41E5-8AB9-47DA60C876F6.jpeg
    26E54F05-E95E-41E5-8AB9-47DA60C876F6.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 122
I used to run dozens of Mack engines. The original CentraMax was a cleanable cartridge. If everything is working you will get a black cake around the housing. It will break up rather easily with a screwdriver then it's wash rinse and reuse. If you find a gummy/sticky mess you have coolant contamination.
The black cake is in fact soot that passes right through a full flow filter.

Thought some of you might find this neat. This is the Mack Centri-max cartridge for my EM7. It is used along side two large spin on full flow filters. I change it at every PM although it’s not required, mainly because the gasket gets stuck and is a nightmare to remove when it’s installed for a long time. No question on who makes it.

I believe Mack’s focus on lube oil cleanliness is a huge factor in why their engines have the reputation they do from this era.
The Mack ENDT, EM6 and EM7 engines lasted so long for a number of reasons: lots of oil in the sump, lots of filtration, cast iron heads, simple design and a lot of field experience. I remember reading about a UPS Mack that ran 1,000,000 miles without pulling the heads or the pan. There were two assigned drivers and the engine only cooled off on weekends.

The Mack ENDT, EM6 and EM7 engines lasted so long for a number of reasons: lots of oil in the sump, lots of filtration, cast iron heads, simple design and a lot of field experience. I remember reading about a UPS Mack that ran 1,000,000 miles without pulling the heads or the pan. There were two assigned drivers and the engine only cooled off on weekends.

Sometimes low tech is very reliable.

Sometimes low tech is very reliable.
Agreed. The engineers worked on refining the product. If you had a specific problem they could address it within the existing system design. Today most of their time is devoted to meeting arbitrary criteria within an inflexible time frame dictated by external forces that neither know nor care about the manufacturers and the customers' concerns.

When Driving out of the Teamos line drivers union hall in between real employment periods The Mack Freight tractors all had Cummins engines in them. I would have liked to try a Mack engine out.

Back