Leftover oil oil change

All of our cars except my G35 use less than 5 quarts of oil per change so I've ended up with some leftovers that I planned to use in our '12 Civic

1669502545151.jpg

I'm a quart short though 'cause it needs 4 quarts and I've only got 3 quarts of leftover.... What should I add ? 😂 I have't bought a single quart of engine oil in a long time either. I bet I'll get odd looks at the parts store when I buy 1 quart along with 1 filter too.

For a 2012, age wise, I'd personally add a quart of a high mileage oil this time and then switch to high mileage oils after that for the rest of it's life.

Is there an O'Reilly's Syntec HM? If so I'd go with that since it's already the majority of what you've got, and it'll be cheaper. Buying single quarts is already expensive enough as it is.

For a 2012, age wise, I'd personally add a quart of a high mileage oil this time and then switch to high mileage oils after that for the rest of it's life.
Never used high-mileage oil and see no need to. 🤷‍♂️ This car is probably tied with my wife's on mileage (my G35 is higher) and they all use regular oil.

Never used high-mileage oil and see no need to. 🤷‍♂️ This car is probably tied with my wife's on mileage (my G35 is higher) and they all use regular oil.
HM oil is usually the same price and is a preventative again drying/hardening older seals and gaskets. Why not?

I cleaned out the garage one time and found enough leftover old dusty quarts and half-quarts to do an entire oil change
The Pennzoil and Amsoil are our son's leftovers. His Accord V6 used 4.5 quarts and he tried different oils in it wanting to use "the best" for it, even though he still changed the oil every 5k miles. I told him go longer but he wouldn't.... I've been using the Syntec 5W-30 in the Civic and my wife's Fusion* so I've actually been combining 5-quart bottles of it since one uses 4 quarts and the other uses 4.25 quarts.

*Uh-oh, I gave away what brand, type and viscosity I use, for right or wrong.... 🙄

My old cars tend to use oil, so leftovers tend to get used up. My new car doesn't, so now I get stuck with a persistent partial on the shelf for its oil. Oh well.

Anyhow. I'd just buy another 5 qt jug and use one quart from that, and save the rest for one of the others. Which one is next up? get oil for that, and now you'll have oil that will need in the near future.

The Civic takes 4 quarts and I bet the 3.5 quarts of combined leftovers will get you well into the safe zone on the dipstick. Doesn't need to be at the full mark unless it's a leaker or burner. Why buy more when you are trying to clean up these odds & ends?

Back