Honda Civic - my "stash" oil

Just realized that I have 2 quarts of Castrol Edge 0W-20 and 2 quarts of Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 in my "stash" along with a '12 Honda Civic that uses 4 quarts with an oil change. Who thinks the combination of Edge and Magnatec would be a great oil ? :ROFLMAO: Honda recommends 0W-20 in this car but I was actually planning to go with 5W-30 for it's oil change but this will be a good opportunity to get rid of this leftover. Knock on wood/fingers crossed, the cars that use these oils don't leak or burn oil so unless I buy another 5-quart and use 2 + 2-1/2 quarts, I'll never get rid of it except if I use it in the mower (which only takes like 12 ounces).

I am wondering how there's (2) quarts leftover since one vehicle (0W-20) uses 4-1/2 quarts and the other (5W-20) uses 4-1/4 quarts. I could very well have combined leftovers from previous changes too.

You won't notice a difference between 0w and 5w, or a combination thereof. I have been switching back and forth in my Odyssey for years. My next OC will be a blend of Pennzoil Plat, Valvoline, STP, QSUD, etc in 0w and 5w20 viscosities (the leftover .5 qt from 3+ years of OCs using 4.5 qts).

Edit: I just realized that I didn't officially cast my vote! I think the combination of Edge 0w and Magnatec 5w will be a great oil!

Last edited:
(the leftover .5 qt from 3+ years of OCs using 4.5 qts).
My G35 is supposed to take 4-3/4 quarts but I dump in the 5 quart bottle and it's in the middle of the dipstick for me. I just remembered I was using leftover oil in my old, old Accord that is now gone. It did leak a little.

Still going to pour these leftovers into some 5-liter bottles I have to make sure it's new though I'm 99.9999% confident it is. I have a 25-liter bottle I put old oil in.

I agree with the others, you’ll be just fine with that blend. And just think, you get to start a whole new stash. Kind of like gold at the end of the rainbow….🌈💰

Back