Left Eye Dominant, right handed techniques.

burbguy82

$100 site donor 2024
Cross Dominance in shooting, can be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes, depending on the specific requirements of the shooter, special and unconventional techniques must be developed.

I am cross dominant, I shoot pistol right handed, and long guns left handed. I developed this technique to address some load out issues due to cross dominance, such as position of pistol, or spare magazines. It works in the prone, kneeing standing walking etc.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. Thanks!

I've only got one AK-type (the M+M M10X I've written about) but since this is also applicable to an M1A - where the charging handle/Op rod is on the right, it's interesting to me.

Since I shoot both pistol and rifle right handed, I am able to leave the pistol on the right, mags on the left, and then control the rifle with my strong hand while loading, and working the charging handle, op rod.

My last time shooting a competition was before the pandemic - and I've been thinking that I would like to get back out there and do some shooting. My handling/manipulation skills are weak, even with an AR

It's clear that your technique is both effective and well-practiced.

I will share this with my son, who is left handed. I am not sure how he shoots a rifle vs. pistol - my recollection is that he shoots both right handed.

Cheers!

Edit: completely had the strong/support backwards. Fixed it.

Last edited:
My son is left eye dominant but right handed. If there are optics he can do whatever because the optics force him to get lined up to see. Sights he has to be occluded on the left eye to shoot effectively right handed.

Trap shooting he shoots left handed and does OK for hist first year doing it. The school season ended before we got all the issues addressed. We have been working on taking time and proper shooting but may have hit the limit of what he can do left handed. Next step may be to occlude the left eye and get him shooting right handed.

I am also strongly left eye dominant and right handed. I can't hit anything when using a shotgun with iron sights, for example.

I've found that I need very high quality optics, and need to spend time getting them dialed in for me and my style. The ACOG works wonders for rifles.

I can't hit anything when using a shotgun with iron sights, for example.
Why? Do you actually have better vision in your right? Do you use your dominant eye with irons, and use the left shoulder?

Cross Dominance in shooting, can be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes, depending on the specific requirements of the shooter, special and unconventional techniques must be developed.

I am cross dominant, I shoot pistol right handed, and long guns left handed. I developed this technique to address some load out issues due to cross dominance, such as position of pistol, or spare magazines. It works in the prone, kneeing standing walking etc.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks and enjoy.

And I thought I was the only one.

My son is left eye dominant but right handed. If there are optics he can do whatever because the optics force him to get lined up to see. Sights he has to be occluded on the left eye to shoot effectively right handed.

Trap shooting he shoots left handed and does OK for hist first year doing it. The school season ended before we got all the issues addressed. We have been working on taking time and proper shooting but may have hit the limit of what he can do left handed. Next step may be to occlude the left eye and get him shooting right handed.
In trap, handling is key, not so much sight picture. What way does he feel more comfortable? Right or left? One thing you can do, is just get some clays on the ground, spread apart, and see which side he prefers as a shooter, taking all things in to consideration, speed, accuracy, and handling. Just a suggestion.

I have always felt more comfortable left side, but do everything else right. I can shoot and move right, but not as comfortably.

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I learned to shoot a rifle left handed when I was in high school. I scored expert with an M-16 in both basic and my next qualification.

I'm right eye/hand dominant but was able to train with my left side enough to a point where I can efficiently use my left side if needed but no where as good as my dominant side.

I'm right eye/hand dominant but was able to train with my left side enough to a point where I can efficiently use my left side if needed but no where as good as my dominant side.
Almost no one is as good on the weak side as the other.

You will notice, that in shoot competitions, stage will almost always move from left to right. This is right hand bias, great for clock time, but no so much for training.

In the service, I had to train right side, due to the propensity to stack up on the left side of a door, due to the typical right handedness of people. This is one aspect of CQB that is not commonly addressed, which is for right hands to train left.

But in shotgun breaching, a southpaw is advantageous, where the breacher can stack on the opposite side.

Why? Do you actually have better vision in your right? Do you use your dominant eye with irons, and use the left shoulder?

Great video! I've never seen that method before.

I have equal vision in both eyes. I'm a pilot, and amateur astronomer, so I have good understanding of vision, optics and technology. I've worked out what works for me over the years, growing up rural, and now in my backyard shooting range. I fall short in left handed shooting training and experience.

If skeet shooting, I'm way off. I tried using my left eye, and shooting left handed, which does not work for me. Most likely due to lack of practicing it.

I even tried that "Bindon" method (or what ever it's called) where two eyes are kept open using an ACOG. With the ACOG on my right eye. I have to think when I do that, just to make sure I'm aiming correctly, as it just feels wrong and I have a tendency to move the rifle off target. If I close the left eye, no issues at all. I'm at least reasonably accurate.

I am right handed and left eye dominant. Shoot the pistol with the right, but rifle with the left. My left eye sees better, too and I can only wink the right.
I played paintball for about 13 years and shot right handed to fire quickly, but had to hold the gun over to the left to see down the barrel. It worked well for me and sort of gave a slimmer target profile due to holding it this way.

If I close the left eye, no issues at all. I'm at least reasonably accurate.
Well then there it is. There is no blanket answer for everyone.

It is the first video I have ever made like this.... two years ago, it came up in conversation on another forum, and I said I would make a video in explaining the technique, thanks.

In the service, I had to train right side, due to the propensity to stack up on the left side of a door, due to the typical right handedness of people. This is one aspect of CQB that is not commonly addressed, which is for right hands to train left.

go to 1:45 on this one

go to 0:45 on this one

This is what I am talking about propensity for right handedness. You will notice all of them stack or start on the left side of the door, demonstrating right hand bias in training. Ambidextrous weapon handling should be trained. If the adversary knows this, it is not a good thing for the door kicker.

Last edited:
I even tried that "Bindon" method (or what ever it's called) where two eyes are kept open using an ACOG
That is correct. It does work, but is not optimal. In the video, I am not using the sights, and during reflexive fire drill, out to 100ft or so, I do not use the sights. IMO optics make close range slower.

evidently, there is a problem with the other video, same content in this one, shorter, a bit different detail.

Back