LED Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to see the prices of LED conversions coming down. What do you think of this?

GENSSI Kit

I am not interested in blinding anyone, nor am I interested in blue light. I am looking for a modest lighting improvement and long "bulb" life. If I were to do something like this I also don't want to spend over $100.

35.gif

I'm just waiting on the "Too bright! bring back the pre-halogen sealed beams..."

Is it a direct replacement for halogen or does it need a special housing (like HID) to prevent glare? For F-150s prior to the factory HID lights, the halogens are pathetic and if this was a drop in for the OEM housings, I would consider it (I hate my headlights on long night drives).

IMO, you get what you pay for and this price doesn't inspire confidence. I wouldn't risk a car fire or the likely less than 30k hours of run time I'd probably get.

Also, doesn't a proper retrofit for a higher lumen output usually involve replacing the housing, as well? In other words, putting a higher output bulb with a beam pattern different than stock means to me that opposite-side traffic will probably be upset with you.

Curious to read what others have to say, though!

I don't buy the lumen ratings on a lot of these kits. But, I'm just looking for opinions. I know that DOT has received more complaints about HID headlights than any other automotive feature.

But, lately, it seems like the a-crevices out there can't even be bothered to turn off their high beams anymore. I see DAILY examples of this behavior. But, here I am, being concerned about glare for other drivers. What is wrong with me?

You're obviously wired wrong, bud. :p

I got a little immature one night when a broham with an HID low-beam AND fog-light kit rolled up behind me in his baby Bentley with lights so ridiculously blinding that I was completely flabbergasted! I'm frequently frustrated by high-beamers and other inconsiderate drivers, but this was so far beyond that that I didn't even know what to do about it.

I'm pretty sensitive to offending others (except on the etherwebs, of course!) so I keep my fog lights off unless it's foggy and wouldn't consider a low-beam upgrade unless it was an OEM HID kit (i.e, swapping HID everything into non-HID location.)

Yeah, I don't know why I even think about it. Around 1985 I put some Marchal H4 housings (with 55/60W bulbs) in the low beam spots on my 1972 Pontiac Catalina. It was such a huge difference at the time. But, back then there were still a lot of back roads and dark areas around here. Nowadays you can almost drive around without headlights. My OEM lights are just fine. I guess we all get upgrade fever at times.

I would be pretty wary of that kit for all the reasons listed above. Under $100 for an automotive LED with >2000lm output, suppose it could be true but where is all that heat going?

Also, JUST LIKE HIDs, your halogen housings will not be optimized. I couldn't even guess how big of a difference this will be since LED is a different type of light source than either HID or halogen though it would be interesting to see some well-taken beam shots before and after.

-These will not be legal, not that that would stop anybody from buying them or seller's selling them.

-They will blind other drivers as halogen housings are precisely designed around the location of the incandescent filament, and no way, no how, can a LED mimic this and produce acceptable results.

People's subjective impressions of how well they can see are wrong 99% of the time. Too bright and too low constricts ones pupils and draws ones eyes downward, So ability to see at a distance is actually compromised, compared to less light pointed where needed for the speed being travelled.

But these people with too much light scattered all over and imprecisely aimed, that blind others will always claim they can see better and their dangerous and Illegal "upgrade" is "just Fine", and will goto great lengths to convince others of this, while trying to convince themselves.

And of course there is that increasingly obnoxious attitude present on the roads, whereby one tries to be the biggest feminine hygiene product available, and the bag it empties into, simply because it amuses them, and they have no consideration for others whatsoever.

HID or LED light sources utilizing reflectors designed for halogen bulbs, are worthy only of Contempt derision, and a non compliance fine.

I am so sick of being blinded by these fools.

You want to see better? Make sure your current bulbs get charging voltages, your lenses are not cloudy, and the lamps are Aimed correctly.

My h6054NH sealed beams getting 14.4v, and aimed correctly outperform most every vehicle that pulls next to me at night at a traffic light in pole position, or passes me on the freeway.

Do you even have the room for that bulb in your headlight? Do you understand that the fan behind the LED would be the first one to croak which will cause your LED to melt prematurely? Do you also not see how big is the LED lit square area is as compared to the original halogen filament? Do you not understand how that would make it impossible to increase the light on the road but still keep the original beam pattern?

If you have an ounce of scientific brain, you will realize how stupid that choice is.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
And of course there is that increasingly obnoxious attitude present on the roads, whereby one tries to be the biggest feminine hygiene product available

That is priceless! I really do appreciate the opinions. I was just curious and not overly serious about getting them. My Mazda3 uses projector housings and there would be space for the heat sinks, but I am OK with what I have.

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I also see too many "vinegar and water" types driving around with high beams on, even during the day. It seems like they must be jealous of the HID conversions and stupid blue lights and want to blind people with regular headlights, too.

^Good point. This particular set looked like they went to some extra trouble to make the light pattern similar to a halogen bulb's. I doubt I would have cared for the color. 5000K is supposed to be "daylight," but I'll bet they end up looking blue. I hate blue lights. I don't know why.

Applaud the OP for asking, and not taking it personally with the strong responses. I agree with all of the strong responses, but I know it's hard to hear it when you're interested in something and you're told, with gusto, that the idea s-ucks.

Lol. That's why I asked. I can become passionate myself, but I'm pretty tough to offend.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I am looking for a modest lighting improvement and long "bulb" life. If I were to do something like this I also don't want to spend over $100.

At that price point, forget it. You will do more harm than good. I suggest just checking the aim and replacing your bulbs with newer ones since they do dim over time. If your headlights are cloudy, buff it out with PlasticX and follow through with a headlight sealant (available from your auto parts store.)

If you want brighter bulbs, depending on your bulb type you maybe able to put higher wattage or higher lumens bulbs. Like cutting the tab on 9005/9006 sizes. 30% brighter clear bulbs are common. 50% bulbs clears, last that I checked, weren't 'allowed' yet. I was only able to get good ones from European online auto bulb retailers.

The issue with both is the bulbs usually don't last as long primarily because the of the additional heat in housing, so you are really left with basic maintenance.

Last edited:
I test drove a current generation Corolla with the OEM LED lights. They are good for DRLs, but I did not like them as headlights because of the color. I'd rather have good halogen projectors for lighting the road.

I'm good with what I have. I used my OEM H11's in the projector housings for less than a year and then tried a pair of PIAA Night Tech. I liked them, but 1.5 years was the lifespan. So, I have the German made Philips bulbs back in. The car is a garaged 2012 Mazda 3. I use the Meguiar's headlight protectant even though it's garaged at work and at home. The lenses are as clear as new. I guess it's an addiction to "upgrading" that we all seem to have at some point. I just liked the idea of LED lighting.

You want to talk about dramatic improvement? Try going from old school tungsten sealed beams on a 1972 Pontiac to halogens. Now, THAT was dramatic. Most lighting on cars these days isn't bad at all.

^Good point. This particular set looked like they went to some extra trouble to make the light pattern similar to a halogen bulb's. I doubt I would have cared for the color. 5000K is supposed to be "daylight," but I'll bet they end up looking blue. I hate blue lights. I don't know why.
I don't either, must be the glare. The French yellow doesn't irritate me and I always thought yellow fogs worked better, lamp for lamp. Oncoming Luddites don't usually mistake yellow fogs for "high beams" and vent their spleens.

I'm good with what I have. I used my OEM H11's in the projector housings for less than a year and then tried a pair of PIAA Night Tech. I liked them, but 1.5 years was the lifespan. So, I have the German made Philips bulbs back in. The car is a garaged 2012 Mazda 3. I use the Meguiar's headlight protectant even though it's garaged at work and at home. The lenses are as clear as new. I guess it's an addiction to "upgrading" that we all seem to have at some point. I just liked the i

You want to talk about dramatic improvement? Try going from old school tungsten sealed beams on a 1972 Pontiac to halogens. Now, THAT was dramatic. Most lighting on cars these days isn't bad at all.
All my external lighting except the headlamps has been converted to LED. You can leave the parking lights on a LONG time before the battery goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back