Leave in or change before I go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a trip from NC to Pittsburgh coming up at the end of the week in my 06 Titan 5.6. I have PP 5w-30 in now with about 4k on the oil and 9400 on the truck. I am scheduled to change at 10500 which will roll around before I get back (avg trip plus driving is 1300 miles). I have the Valv SynPower 5w-30 (BOGO sale) ready to go in but feel I could be wasting the PP. Should I leave it or change it?

I've always changed out the oil before a long trip, even if the oil only had 1500 miles or so on it. Call me crazy, paranoid, or I guess even just plain stupid, but I always felt better with fresh in there for the long haul trips, even though I realize that wear and tear even on a hot, summer day trip is considerably less than everyday stop and go as oil is at the proper temperature while cruising on the highway.

Either way.
On the one hand, PP should be good to go for your planned trip. On the other hand, changing before a long trip seemes sensible.
Based upon what I have learned on BITOG, I would leave the oil in there. It is more than adequate for your planned trip.

Whatever you think would make you feel better. If you head out on your trip and you will be thinking about "should I have changed the oil" then change it out before you go. Dont believe you will have any problems leaving it in there but it is your call.

For Heaven's sakes! Leave it alone! Oil that has a few miles on it is JUST FINE! I run PP for 7500 miles and get stellar UOA's, will run it 10000 miles once the warranty is up. It matters ZIP that it's your second OCI, you don't have monsters floating around in the oil from the factory.

It is NOT a "good idea" to put on a new filter and head out on a trip...filters DO LEAK sometimes, you know! If your current filter isn't leaking, don't mess with it, leave the oil in, make the trip knowing you won't have one of the few in a thousand that leak.
twocents.gif

Leave it in there. At 4k the oil is still in great shape, and long trips on the highway at steady speeds put very little stress on the oil, so it'll still be in great shape when the trip is done.

I'm with Titan and Patman and anyone else who said to leave it in. 5000-6000 miles is "training mileage" to see if the oil's worth using again for a real OCI
grin.gif

My vote is to leave it in there and change when you get back. We tend to look a miles in use rather than hours in use when changing oil. At highway speeds you get a lot of miles in a few hours. If you averaged 50, that oil would only be in use 100 hours to get 5000 miles. That shouldn't be a problem for any oil. But, in the end, do what makes you feel good.

I always change prior to long trips every year. Whenever I didn't consumption increased. If I changed the oil, no consumption occurred. I would especially do it - if the drive is roller-coaster-like. I also like to spike my pre-trip oil with a half-bottle of VSOT.

If you are going to tow or haul a heavy load (or drive it hard)... I'd change it before.

Otherwise, in the absence of those, I'd change it after the trip.

It is through the mountains of WV and I will drive between 70-85 mph. The engine never uses any oil but it's dark now (I know I know). Hmmmmm... decisions decisions.

I am a wuss I suppose. Changed it out with SynPower 5w-30. It would have nagged at the back of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back