Leather Seats - How do you maintain them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have used about 15 different products over the years. If your car is one year old or newer, I suggest using a "creamy" conditioner such as Mercedes-Benz leather care which is made by mequires and available from MB dealer. Creamy conditioners don't invade the leather as much. Get a high quality one because some have waxes etc.

If your car is more than 1 year old I suggest an "oily" conditioner. I have had the best luck with xymol leather conditioner. Oily conditioners invade the leather more and through repeated applications can soften it (think of the most dramatic example of a baseball glove softened through that thin oil). I have no problem with lexol and it is a good product but too mild for my needs. Zymol seems to be just invasive enough but not too much.

Suggest applying every 3-6 months depending on heat, etc. to maintain current softness or once per month to try to make older leather softer.

Avoid anything that leaves the leather waxy and shiny.

Cleaner : 1 part Woolite/5 parts water in a spray bottle

Conditioner: Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner. Lexol is also very good and I alternate between the CG and Lexol.

I clean and condition mine once a month but you probably only need to do the cleaning part every 3 months.

Spray bottle and microfibre cloth for the cleaner but I apply the conditioner using my hands, allow to dry and then wipe with a MF cloth.

For deep cleaning, I like Leatherique. I just did their process on my Q45 and was surprised how much dirt came off the leather. Nasty.

Leatherique is best done annually, maybe a little more often if your car gets really dirty. For normal maintenance I love the Zaino leather care products. Not oily or shiny, leaves the leather looking good and smells great. Cleaner is mild but effective. An ideal frequent care system.

I use 4 Star Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. I have top coated leather (most cars) and the conditioner is more a protectant.

I second the Griot's Garage vote. Used this in my past 2 Saabs and the leather looked fantastic after 6+ years of daily New England use. The scent it leaves is authentic too.

Jax Wax Leather Magic, Cleaner and Conditioner is the best that I have used. It is super easy and leaves a clean scent. It doesn't leave any greasy or slimy mess behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back