care for "leather" seats in 2004 mustang

Ok, I just bought a 2004 mustang GT with leather seats and it is also a convertible. So, what product do you recommend that I can buy at Walmart, to care for the things. I do have vinyl sears etc in my 65 mustang, and I have product to keep it looking good. Would I use the same stuff?

Sure, find a gem like this,

1673478556018.jpeg

show her how to use this,

1673478617948.png

and let her drive it.

Last edited:
Ok, I just bought a 2004 mustang GT with leather seats and it is also a convertible. So, what product do you recommend that I can buy at Walmart, to care for the things. I do have vinyl sears etc in my 65 mustang, and I have product to keep it looking good. Would I use the same stuff?
I'm going to bet your leather seats are top-coated with urethane. That means 303 Aerospace or similar.

I always vacuum and wipe down leather with a some distilled water and MF towel then apply a protectant. Keeping the seats clean will go a long way to keeping the leather coating intact and looking good.

Leather conditioners won't penetrate the plastic coating which is why reputable companies like Lexol say not to use their leather conditioner on top-coated automotive leather.

Last edited:
I'm going to bet your leather seats are top-coated with urethane.
How can you find out if this is the case? On our newer Colorado it seems like this may be the case any type of leather conditioner doesn't seem to soak in? Never encountered this before but only had old cars with leather or newer cloth seats

How can you find out if this is the case? On our newer Colorado it seems like this may be the case any type of leather conditioner doesn't seem to soak in? Never encountered this before but only had old cars with leather or newer cloth seats
Unless you have an older King Ranch Ford or Audi TT with the "baseball glove" interior your leather seats are coated.

That car has what is called split leather seats, inexpensive bottom part of the hide then coated with vinyl in the the seating area and vinyl on the sides. I have 4 cars with "leather" but only the 02 Saab Viggen has real full grain hides, the 06 Saab, VW and Saturn Sky all have split leather. The difference in feel is out of this world.

As dwcopple posted Mothers VLR works well on split leather, full hides need a real leather treatment.

That car has what is called split leather seats, inexpensive bottom part of the hide then coated with vinyl in the the seating area and vinyl on the sides. I have 4 cars with "leather" but only the 02 Saab Viggen has real full grain hides, the 06 Saab, VW and Saturn Sky all have split leather. The difference in feel is out of this world.

As dwcopple posted Mothers VLR works well on split leather, full hides need a real leather treatment.

Full grain leather can still be coated leather. My Phaeton had it, and most higher-end luxury cars have some form of full grain leather. Still coated.

Aniline is the term for your natural look saddle-type full grain leather.

The easiest test to see what type of care your seats need is to see if the leather absorbs a drop of water. If it does, you need leather specific cleaners and conditioners. If it doesn't, you can use a mild detergent and water to clean and whatever dressing/protectant you want on top.

if its real leather then I dont use car products for it. Saddle soap to clean, wipe off, and then use mink oil or leather honey to condition them.

Full grain leather can still be coated leather. My Phaeton had it, and most higher-end luxury cars have some form of full grain leather. Still coated.

Aniline is the term for your natural look saddle-type full grain leather.

The easiest test to see what type of care your seats need is to see if the leather absorbs a drop of water. If it does, you need leather specific cleaners and conditioners. If it doesn't, you can use a mild detergent and water to clean and whatever dressing/protectant you want on top.
Yes, non coated leather is a PITA to keep but coated full grain is not the same as cheap split leather that has a vinyl coating that gives it the grain pattern bonded to it. On the Viggen seats I use this..

I use this:
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 9.04.59 AM.jpg

For results like this:
IMG_2265.jpeg

Im sure the kia leather is coated and 1/2 fake haha but I use the conditioner ONLY after the seats have been thoroughly cleaned with regular woo light type soap and warm water. Then I keep up on it with the conditioner.

Back