Leather is luxury. Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 300 is the first car I've had in over ten years that doesn't have leather upholstery...and I'm loving it. The interior is just so much more cozy, and makes you realize just how much "bright noise" gets reflected off of a leather surface.

I've had a couple of people comment on my car and say "You didn't get leather?" I don't know why the conventional wisdom shifted to the point that the most utilitarian natural substance, something used to make saddles and shoes, became the sine qua non of luxury seating in cars. For years, the finest hand-built limos had leather seating up front for the driver (for durability) and the finest cloth in the back for the passengers. In fact, when Queen Elizabeth II commissioned Bentley to build the new State Limo, Hield was commissioned to produce the cloth for the upholstery in the rear passenger area. Leather was used for the seats up front.

Hield_Bentley_Interior.jpg

I think I've owned one car with leather, a beater fully loaded '78 pontiac grand prix. the A/C didn't work, so I wasn't too happy with that car
frown.gif

I wish my Mazda5 had leather; really, what was Mazda thinking putting a light grey cloth interior in a car clearly intended for families with small children?

I agree, there is too much hype around leather. In addition, it feels hotter during summer and colder during winter (compared to cloth).

One type of leather I do like is Alcantara leather that Audi uses for example, although technically it is not real leather. It is "artificial substitute for suede leather." so it feels more like cloth/suede.

I personally prefer leather because it is easier to clean when the kids spill stuff all over it. Although, I did enjoy the winter package leather delete option in my 2001 Audi A4.

I agree. I got my first car with leather (06 Mustang GT) and didn't like it. I would slide around when I attacked the curves. I put sheepskins on with tear away panels for the side airbags. You can't beat the comfort of sheepskins, summer or winter. They were very popular in the 80's but hardly anyone has them anymore.

I love that I have the alcantara/cloth seats in my BMW...(pic below)
SO glad it's not leather. Very comfy in all weather types, and in winter, I can use the heated seats.
smile.gif
best combo!

DSCN0457.jpg

DSCN0469.jpg

+1 for no leather!

Last edited:
Also love my cloth interiors.
Have had a few car with leather, they are cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Exactly what you dont want.

I would go cloth too, when all possible!

Originally Posted By: 67Customs
I personally prefer leather because it is easier to clean when the kids spill stuff all over it.

You are sort of proving my point. Leather is utilitarian, able to take things like kids and dogs that would constantly have you shampooing cloth seats.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
One type of leather I do like is Alcantara leather that Audi uses for example, although technically it is not real leather. It is "artificial substitute for suede leather." so it feels more like cloth/suede.

Alacantara is actually a cloth (textile) that mimics suede but is supposedly much more durable. I could live with Alcantara and if I were ever in a position to order a new Bentley or RR built to my specifications, it would have Alcantara upholstery, with leather relegated to the door panels and dash.

I dont like leather. It always "sticks" to me in warm weather. It is also ice cold in the winter. Guess thats why leather seats are now heated and cooled. Cant get those options with cloth seats very often.

For me, the durability of the "fake" leathers like MBTex/BMW Leatherette can't be beat. I only get leather because it comes in the packages that have the features I actually want.

I don't know how much of the leather in the 2012 335i sedan is real and I don't care as long as it holds up and cleans up once my daughter has her way with it.

For the Alcantara owners, how well does it wear? I have always liked the look and feel of it when shopping new cars.

Leather doesn't work too well in Phoenix. After being parked out in the hot sun for 15 minutes in the summer, you can burn the back of your thighs if you're wearing shorts.

Ive never understood why people swoon over and are willing to pay $1k or more to purchase a car with leather.

While those alcantra/suede combos are neat, most think that the pinnacle of luxury is a smooth leather - primarily because that is what is sold. However, any good vinyl looks and feels better than leather coming off the lot, and definitely 5-50+ years later. Plus there are no worries about keeping it clean, preventing cracking/creases or anything else. And, the current leathers for the most part are a plastic coated hard surface anyway.

Unless you are obese or older and need the smooth leather surface to easier spin on to be able to get in/out of the car, I see no good reason for leather.

And in this heat wave, let's not forget how obscenely uncomfortable a hot leather (or vinyl, granted) seat is. Cloth is so much nicer for getting in and out. Seat heaters were a bandaid fix to the coldness of leather in the winter for luxury cars, and have since trickled down everywhere. But for cloth they really arent necessary other than to provide some supplemental heat.

My 135i came with leather at no cost, and so I got the lemon interior for something different. Real nice. However, leather stains easier (brown belt on light leather?), and this leather has a special UV-rejecting coating to prevent the hotness because leather is just plain uncomfortable sometimes.

Vinyl and cloth are really the best. Ive never had an issue with cloth longevity. Perhaps people carry too many sharp objects on their belt or dont know how to step into a car? Some of the softer clohs can loose some of their fuzzyness, but especially the tighter weave cloths can give some great mileage.

Insofar as what you want to sit on, wearing shorts, after the car has been in the summer sun all day with the sunroof shade open, cloth is the way to go. Heated cloth is the best in winter. I'm glad the old days of 1st degree burns from "genuine naugahide" (how many nagas died to make those seatcovers) are past. I had a couple of Volvos with leather seats, Olaf and Svenn must have used Rinohide. Smelled good though. Some old folks do like leather, though, for the slidability. They don't wear seatbelts, either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: 67Customs
I personally prefer leather because it is easier to clean when the kids spill stuff all over it.

You are sort of proving my point. Leather is utilitarian, able to take things like kids and dogs that would constantly have you shampooing cloth seats.

Well, I wasn't really trying to disprove or prove anything, just giving my opinion. But, since you mentioned it, I agree with you. I simply like leather due to the fact that it is easier to clean. Cloth, IMO, makes a vehicle much more comfortable. When my kids get older, I'll probably switch to cloth again.

Like I said, I loved the cloth seats in my Audi. Not cold in the winter. Not hot in the summer. The seats heated up quicker. No butt noise from moving around. No skin sticking, etc...

I hate leather. Hard to care for. I always get cloth and Scotch Guard it. Sponges right up with upholstry cleaner and wears well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back