07 300 vs 12 300: First impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, after having spent the last three years with my 07 300 Touring, here are my first impressions after 24 hours with my new 12 300. (FYI the "Base" model for 12 is roughly equivalent to the Touring model for 07. Better equipped, but no leather.)

First off, you can tell you are driving an updated and improved version of an existing car. If the previous generation 300 is familiar and comfortable to you, the new 300 will be too. It's quite evident that the new bosses at Chrysler have taken great pains to take some of the hard Mercedes edge out of the 300 that was so evident in the previous iteration. The ride is much more supple now--still firm, just more refined. Interior noise (which was already very low in my 07) is whisper quiet. It looks like the fiber wheel well liners, laminated acoustic front door windows, and full underbody cladding, really do work.

The car weights about 200 lbs more than my 07 and sits about two inches lower, so now the standard 17" tires don't look as out of place in the big wheel openings. The 3.6 engine pumps out 292 horsepower and feels peppier than than the 3.5 in my 07 (as it should since it's got 42 more horses). The ZF 8-speed helps here, no doubt. Chrysler is getting this transmission from ZF and it's the same one used in the Rolls-Royce Ghost and Bentley Mulsanne. It shifts like butter and there is no comparison to the 6-speed in the Buick Lacrosse I drove, which was jerky and indecisive.

Interior fit and finish is light years ahead of the old 300. 99% of all interior pieces that used to be hard or semi-hard plastic are now covered in fabric or soft-touch vinyl. The base model comes with cloth seats and I applaud Chrysler for eschewing the ubiquitous velour and going with a very silky feeling knit fabric. It's very reminiscent of the upholstery that used to adorn the seats of Imperials and Cadillacs back in the 60s and 70s (before leather became de rigueur for "luxury" cars) and reminds me a little of the cloth seats that were in my dad's 72 Imperial. My car has the black interior, and it's not dark grey it's good old fashioned BLACK. And, in another throwback to American cars of days gone by vs the European way of doing interiors, the headliner is BLACK too, not grey or beige. In short, the "look and feel" of every surface inside the car says "quality" and "attention to detail." I test drove Cadillacs and Buicks over the last week and you can trust me when I say Chrysler has got Buick beat in this department and is fully on par with Cadillac--for $20,000 less.

I may be posting more observations as time goes by. These are just my first impressions.

my300-2.jpg
my300-12-1.jpg

The revised LX cars are a real joy. All the good of the previous heritage, without all the stuff Mercedes did to DELIBERATELY make the cars look cheap on the inside so that they wouldn't cut into Mercedes sales.

I also find the exterior styling vastly improved, especially the Charger. The 300's changes are more subtle, but also very welcome. It looks like a luxury car now, not like a poorly customized lower end car.

I also LOVE the Pentastar v6, and I haven't even had the chance to try it in an LX with the 8-speed transmission yet! I was a very big fan of the previous 3.5L engine's proven mechanical heritage, simplicity, and table-flat torque; but the Pentastar really does improve on it a lot.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Interior fit and finish is light years ahead of the old 300.

How about some pics of the interior?

The car weights about 200 lbs more than my 07 and sits about two inches lower, so now the standard 17" tires don't look as out of place in the big wheel openings.

The tires/wheels fill the wheel well better than the previous generation, but I think the wheel well is still too big. They should reduce the wheel well by about 2-3", then the tire will fit better.

Ole Shaq isnt going to like hearing you trash his new fave Lacrosse he's pushing (walking in Tiger Woods shoes no doubt).....lol
Frankly,I would take any Chrysler/Dodge over any GM car anyday.But,thats just me I guess.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Interior fit and finish is light years ahead of the old 300.

How about some pics of the interior?

It's too hot to go out there and take some. It's 105 here right now.

Another observation: The engine runs much more smoothly on E-85 than regular gas. A very noticeable difference.

Another observation:

Exhaust note. On my 07 300 (with single exhaust) I could never hear the sound of the exhaust from inside the car (and you could barely hear it even if you were standing behind the car). On this 12 300 (with dual exhaust) I can definitely hear a little burble when I start it up and pull off (if the radio is off and the AC fan is on low). On the older 300C (Hemi with duals) you could hear the exhaust inside the car, so maybe on the V6 models Chrysler is now using the same muffs as on the Hemi, hence a little bit throatier exhaust note.

Another observation:

Exhaust note. On my 07 300 (with single exhaust) I could never hear the sound of the exhaust from inside the car (and you could barely hear it even if you were standing behind the car). On this 12 300 (with dual exhaust) I can definitely hear a little burble when I start it up and pull off (if the radio is off and the AC fan is on low). On the older 300C (Hemi with duals) you could hear the exhaust inside the car, so maybe on the V6 models Chrysler is now using the same muffs as on the Hemi, hence a little bit throatier exhaust note.

Is it a true dual exhaust? I guess it must have some sort of cross pipe as dualing 3 cylinders sound neat but kind of like a bezerk kenworth.
Very nice car though, I wish my budget allowed for such a car for commuting.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Another observation:

Is it a true dual exhaust? I guess it must have some sort of cross pipe as dualing 3 cylinders sound neat but kind of like a bezerk kenworth.
Very nice car though, I wish my budget allowed for such a car for commuting.

I just checked and it's not a true dual on the V6 300s. It only splits to dual exhaust after the center resonator.
v6.jpg

Here is the V8 exhaust system, which is a true dual. This is also the exhaust used on the V6 Challenger, which ups the horsepower to 305 vs 292 in the 300.
v8.jpg

Nice parts diagrams, One of the guys in my motorsport club has a 3.5L Fiero with just a resonator on each exhaust manifold and a bend or two of pipe to aim it sort of down and back, and its not the sound you would associate with a refined automobile! I'll have to listen for a new V6 challenger, see what it sounds like.
I found your thread about the hail damage, hopefully your insurance company comes through for you...

Another observation: The engine runs much more smoothly on E-85 than regular gas. A very noticeable difference.

A lot of FFVs are like that. My truck runs noticeably better with E85, but also gets noticeably horrendous fuel economy with it (can't break 20 MPG). Didn't you say in another thread that you were getting 26 MPG with E85? That fantastic fuel economy with E85 in a decently sized V6.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

A lot of FFVs are like that. My truck runs noticeably better with E85, but also gets noticeably horrendous fuel economy with it (can't break 20 MPG). Didn't you say in another thread that you were getting 26 MPG with E85? That fantastic fuel economy with E85 in a decently sized V6.

That was with a mix of some highway and town driving (30% - 70%). For the past two days I've done nothing but short trips and average is down to 17 mpg, which is about what my 07 got running around town.

That's still very acceptable for E85 + 3.6L V6. My 3.0L V6 gets as low as 13 MPG with E85...yes, 13 MPG! Even says it on the window sticker in small print below the straight gas EPA numbers. Luckily it's usually closer to 17, but definitely a big difference between E85 and regular gas.

On long trips I will usually use 87 to squeeze all the MPG out of it that I can, but despite lower fuel economy I still like using the E85 because the engine runs so smooth. There is only about an 8 HP difference in HP between E85 and straight gas in my truck, but the butt dyno seems to pick it up.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
That's still very acceptable for E85 + 3.6L V6. My 3.0L V6 gets as low as 13 MPG with E85...yes, 13 MPG! Even says it on the window sticker in small print below the straight gas EPA numbers. Luckily it's usually closer to 17, but definitely a big difference between E85 and regular gas.

On long trips I will usually use 87 to squeeze all the MPG out of it that I can, but despite lower fuel economy I still like using the E85 because the engine runs so smooth. There is only about an 8 HP difference in HP between E85 and straight gas in my truck, but the butt dyno seems to pick it up.
21.gif

An 8 HP difference with this engine would bring me up to the magic 300 HP.
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back