Leaking purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had this problem? This is the second time I have had a purolator oil filter leak on me. Its not a big leak, but more of a seep. Are their seals not very good? It is definitely on tight enough and I put a film of oil on it before putting it on. I use the premium plus. What other filters are comparible for around the same price?

Chinook,
I've used Hastings and Wix filters and have had no complaints.

I'd tend to think that a leaking seal might be due to a piece of grit or something where the seal sits. Before I put the oil filter on, I always run my finger around where the seal will go, just to make sure there isn't something trapped in between the seal and the oil filter housing.

I did run into tightening a filter too much once caused the seal to pop out of it's channel on the filter and leak...

Bogatyr

I've never seen a leak that wasn't my fault (can you say 'double gaskets'?)
pat.gif

Kalamazoo??? I thought no one else even knew it existed? Wow.......
Dave

I've used purolators exclusively and never had a problem. I've noticed on some of them, however, that the seals are sometimes a bit short and if tightened all the way, it will start to scrape the filter can on the oil filter mount. Perhaps that's what the problem is? I also agree with the potential for dirt or sand to cause a leak. Maybe wiping down the filter mount will eleviate that potential.

If it is coming from the crimp rather than the gasket I would worry about it. Please be sure to do a postmortem when you change it out and let us know.

Are you by chance using an oversize filter?
I've seen some substitutions that had a thinner gasket thickness, ie WIX 51344 in place of a WIX 51334 or 51356 "Honda" filters.
The thickness is only .148" compared to .200". It MIGHT be enough to make a difference???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back