Leaking NAPA Gold Oil Filter

I've been using the NAPA Gold filters for a while on most of our vehicles. I generally order them online and pick them up or bundle them in with a larger order and have the NAPA delivery truck drop the order off at the house. The last few I ordered all had a little rust on the threaded plate which surprised me but I've seen that in the past with other filters so I just cleaned it off and used them.

Anyway, the particular filter in question was installed on a 2017 F150 w/ 30k on the 5.0 engine. It's sort of a fourth vehicle in our house and doesn't get driven that much. I bought it used right after the pandemic started at a really good price. Right before Christmas I had a squirrel chew through the nylon gas line and cause some issues. Sometime in January I started noticing a few oil drops on the driveway and occasionally caught a wift of hot oil after driving it. This went on all through February into March with me crawling under the truck or placing cardboard under the truck trying to figuring out where it was coming from. It didn't look like ATF but I thought maybe it was possible the squirrel also bit up a transmission cooler line and it was weeping. In early March I finally noticed a drop of oil dripping off a metal guard over the axle and realized it was coming from the oil filter catch pan. I figured that it was probably my fault as I most likely didn't put the filter on tight enough. So I tightened up the filter with a wrench and only got about another 1/8th of a turn out of it with considerable effort. Cleaned up the catch pan and was really surprised the next day to find the problem didn't go away. Next I decided to pull off the filter and examine it thinking maybe some dirt was under the seal or there was a second seal stuck on in. Nope. Dismayed and only 50% of the way through my Kirkland Synthetic oil change I decided to install a Motorcraft FL-500 filter. Problem went away with the OEM filter.

After examining the NAPA Gold filter I noticed that the seal ring was very flat, almost too flat in that there really isn't much material to compress for a good seal.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has run into the same problem as I've been using these filters on both of our Honda Pilots without an issue but am probably done using them on the F150.

I dunno.... You may be onto something here... I have noticed this with the last few Napa Platinum filters I have installed. (Same design). I feel like the filter barely makes contact with the gasket and when I try to tighten it 3/4 turn, I'm almost running out of room with the base-plate on deck. Maybe the gasket thickness has changed? Dunno.

No leaks thank goodness...but still... I've noticed.

It was over tightened.
Possible, but I put it on by hand and didn't use a wrench until I tried to fix it. Tightening it didn't solve the issue, but maybe over tightening was the issue because I only got about an additional 1/8th of a turn out of it.

I wish I would have kept the filter for further examination but it was cold out and "trash night" so I tossed it.

I know the NAPA Gold is probably a much better filter, but I'm probably just going to stick with the Motorcraft filters. I don't drive the truck that often and I'm changing the oil once a year based on age, not mileage.

I'm wondering what the long term quality will do with Wix now that Mann-Hummel bought them.

My last NG oil filter for a 3.6 Pentastar in my work van says made in China on it. However the NG I bought (at the same time) for my old Ford is US made.

NAPA needs to get some balls and terminate this ****! Fire their ass.
Plenty of USA alternatives to this leaking crimp QC problem.
I'm fine with the only place to find ManHumix China/Mexico filters is at overpriced O'Rielliys. I will not miss them.
Gold filters is "top of the line" and you pay for it. funky leaking crimped filters are just retarded....like they running worn out equipment on a top of the line filter, learn something.

Last edited:
I saw a similar issue with a Champion filter ( not Champ) that I purchased a few years ago. It ended up leaking and I pulled it off and threw it out. I’m not finding the same thing with my Napa Golds.

0BC5F27E-EAB6-4161-8979-D7EEA9E4316D.jpeg
C0CCFD85-D066-449F-9FB3-CFB171792A27.jpeg

Last edited:
Same thing happened here. NAPA Gold 1334 on 2020 Kia Soul X-line. Bought the car used this past year from a dealership and immediately brought home and removed the bulk oil. Replaced with 4 1/2 quarts Fram 5w-30 synthetic and the Gold filter.
My Dad used nothing but Napa filters for as long as I could remember and passed that habit on to me which I have followed for 40+ years. I have always followed the "spin on" until the gasket touches and then 3/4 turn all my life and it has never failed. With this filter I wasn't able to get the 3/4 turn by hand. Never had this happen before so I turned as far as I could by hand and just gave it a "snug" with the wrench because it just seemed strange.
Sure enough, checking oil the following Saturday as I always do, which includes a look at the filter and for the first time over hundreds of oil changes I can clearly see oil clinging to the bottom of the filter. Couldn't believe it! I'm OCD with my cars and oil so there was no way I was going to attempt to "snug up" that filter...off it came! On went an AC Delco (forgot the part #).
And with that a 40+ year relationship was destroyed. Yeah, maybe a rash decision, I must have bought hundreds of Napa filters, but it only takes one time for me to always question what is happening under the hood.

I have always followed the "spin on" until the gasket touches and then 3/4 turn all my life and it has never failed. With this filter I wasn't able to get the 3/4 turn by hand. Never had this happen before so I turned as far as I could by hand and just gave it a "snug" with the wrench because it just seemed strange.
Look at the base plate for evidence of interference/chew marks to see if maybe the base plate bottomed out on the mounting stud before the filter stopped short of the 3/4 turn. It was either that, of the base plate crimped/rolled seam was leaking.

Look at the base plate for evidence of interference/chew marks to see if maybe the base plate bottomed out on the mounting stud before the filter stopped short of the 3/4 turn. It was either that, of the base plate crimped/rolled seam was leaking.
I'm sure the filter bottomed out as I didn't notice any abnormalities in the filter casing. Of course that was only a visual check and not under pressure but the filter looked fine. Only thing I can figure is that the gasket was "flat" and just didn't allow for the filter to properly seat before the casing bottomed out.
All academic as I have no proof of the filter being substandard, but like I said, been following the exact same procedure for more than 40 years and never once had a filter leak. That was enough evidence for me.

Use a torque wrench. If no room, use a torque adapter. Not a fan of 1/2-1 turn after gasket contact.
And, I am hoping that everyone oils their filter gasket with fresh motor oil along with cleaning the gasket matching area on the filter mount.

Back