LCD Television recommendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to buy a new TV for Christmas. 32in is plenty big. Want one of the very thin ones so we can mount flush on the wall in a small bedroom. Brand and specific model recommendation of those you have actually had recent experience with would be great!

whatever you buy: get at least 120Hz version (stay away from 60Hz no matter how cheep they are priced). You'll get that jagged/jerky motion if you opt for 60Hz.

All others such as Plasma (600Hz) need not apply in this case.

My 2c's worth.I'm in the market for a 42" + LCD for Xmas also.

Q.

I personally think Samsung and Vizio have the best picture quality. The Samsung model I have is no longer being made, but their new stuff is still very good. Sony... oh, how the mighty have fallen. You'd have to pay me to go near a Sony product these days.

We have a 42" Vizio, 1080P, 60Hz, 1 year old. Picture quality is great with digital cable and DVD. Do not have Blu-ray, so can not comment on that. Factory speakers are plenty powerful. Lots of calibration capabilities, plenty of inputs.
Could not be happier.

PS No jagged edges or motion artifacts that prior poster mentioned, even at 60Hz.

Cable does look better thru the AV input than RF/antennae, so that's what we use.

What's your price range? LCD's aren't too thin nowadays compared to the LED LCD's you can get, especially for 32".

Samsung makes a very good 32" super thin LED but it runs about a grand which is just nuts.

I would probably go for a 42" plasma since you can get one for cheaper than a 32" LCD and the picture quality will be superior in that LCD price range.

You can get a Samsung 42C450 plasma for under $500 bucks.

I Just brought a LG 32in 1080p at best buy on black friday for 349$ the picture is great I have directv HD and the NFL games looks awesome. Vizio are good but you can get a major name brand for the same price

Had a 32" Sony in the bedroom but it looked small so we purchased a VIZIO 42" LCD and couldn't be happier, with DIRECTV HD the picture is awesome, also bought one for my daughters for their apartment
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.vizio.com/lcd-hdtvs/e420vl.html

I've heard Sony, Samsung and Panasonic to be the best. I'm looking for an LCD/LED, but probably won't buy for at least another year. My choice will likely be a Sony or Samsung. Sony and Samsung actually use the same screens - they have a joint venture plant to manufacture them. Where they differ of course is the electronics used to drive the screens and of course the physical cases. I don't seem to see many Panasonics out there compared to how many Sonys and Samsungs are on shelves.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you think 32" is big enough, think again. You should get minimum 40", 46" is preferred. In HDTV, the bigger the better.

Why stop there?

Go out a build yourself a drive-in in your backyard.

Originally Posted By: weebl
I've heard Sony, Samsung and Panasonic to be the best. I'm looking for an LCD/LED, but probably won't buy for at least another year. My choice will likely be a Sony or Samsung. Sony and Samsung actually use the same screens - they have a joint venture plant to manufacture them. Where they differ of course is the electronics used to drive the screens and of course the physical cases. I don't seem to see many Panasonics out there compared to how many Sonys and Samsungs are on shelves.

Panasonics are great but they only focus on plazmas when it comes to thier quality sets. I would strongly recommend LG or samsung when it comes to LCD sets. Samsung has the brightest mode to demo in stores so it grabs peoples attention. But just remember that mode is unnatural and usually too bright for any bedroom.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you think 32" is big enough, think again. You should get minimum 40", 46" is preferred. In HDTV, the bigger the better.

Why stop there?

Go out a build yourself a drive-in in your backyard.
No, he's really right about that. I've been very happy with my 30" (CRT by the way) HDTV until I watched my buddy's 50". There's so much more detail in the HD signal that a larger screen makes a much bigger difference than it used to with SD. If you have room, it's worth it.

Samsung 6300 series caught my eye as the first LCD TV that truly has a sharp picture with no pixelation around moving objects, yet costing less than $2500.

The 55" was $1499, IIRC, the smaller ones would obviously be cheaper.

Be VERY careful judging picture quality over a LOT of media. Many units just do NOT have that great of a picture...

55" Samsung LED - Living room (newest & super thin)
52" Sharp Aquos LCD - bedroom
50" Sony LCD - sons room
46" LG LCD - spare room
46" LG LCD - garage

Just think, I don't watch a lot of TV. Maybe a few movies a year, a show every now and then. Mostly watch football and I also like to catch some local news, that's about it. But when I do watch, I like the HD and some quality into it. Wife & son watch allot. Son into the x-box live stuff etc.
My surround sound system only gets used a few times a year - when I watch movies which isn't often.
Folks think I really like to watch a lot of TV - it isn't like that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back