LC20 fumes = headache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of "molasoaking" our Jeep XJ and I've noticed that LC fumes give me a nice headache.

Anyone else noticed this?

Psst!!! I hear that PAM® has much milder side effects.
grin.gif

Actually I prefer the side effects of POT®.
cool.gif

How'd you do the "R" symbol?
What other symbols do you know how to do?

I usually only get headaches from huffing too many fumes with poor ventilation. Like enough brake cleaner to kill bugs/spiders.
And no, that's not recreational... well, the killing spiders part is...

Only other time I got a good headache like LC gives me is when I was rummaging thru a burnt down garage/autoshop.

I think Terry had something a long time ago that you should not smell the stuff or get it on hands.

I don't get that. I try hard to only fool with LC in ventilated areas, but even the one time when I got a good accidental whiff of it I didn't get a headache.

Hmm, I got a few good whiffs of FP60 and it was strong but not so much to give me a headache. In fact I thought the smell was kinda nice. Maybe I am getting used to chem fumes, I am using tons of carb cleaner spray to clean up all the tranny parts I am rebuilding. All that toluene and ketone is probably going to my head.....and liver no doubt
lol.gif

Do not sniff ANY chemistry, normal handling is safe in well ventilated area, if product is spilled on hands/exposed skin wash throughly. Properly glove and mask if unable to ventilate or must handle.

I wonder how many of careless wannabe chemists on this site will see cancer,leukemia,etc from ignoring proper handling of chems. Damage from chems is long term and slow to show, no kidding.
frown.gif

Terry

Brake cleaner ...make sure you get the non-chlorinated stuff. Much better to cope with. I couldn't even smell the difference ..but my buddy did in HIS shop when I cleaned up after myself using the cheaper stuff.

quote:

How'd you do the "R" symbol?
What other symbols do you know how to do?

Same way you did, I think
confused.gif

Look up ASCII codes (google). There's 256 of them, IIRC. You use the Alt key (hold while putting in the numbers)

Thanks for the ASCII tip, Gary.
I just cut-n-pasted what you wrote, then changed it.

I liked the smell of the LC products too, but I was the kinda kid who liked the smell of gasoline...

I was in an open garage but there was't much wind.
In my attempt to FUBAR the engine I cranking it over during the molasoak. yes, stupid, but lucky...
Then the fumes hit me. Now I run a big fan in the garage...

Carcinogens (sp?), I hate wearing rubber gloves and leather just absorbs the oil. I'm definately worried about skin cancer...
The last job I had wouldn't provide nitrile (is that the right stuff?) gloves for the solvent tank, just latex that melts.
Thanks Puresports, I'm glad you burnt down.

wannabe chemists?
What's the REAL bad stuff to mix?
Bleach and something? Gives off chlorine gas?

Terry, that is truly outstanding advice. I used to handle phenolic germicides as a custodian, photo developers such as catechol and pyrogallol, etc. without proper PPE. The pyro developer was especially toxic- after two mild-but-noticeable poisonings from it I then decided to use gloves.

ALWAYS use personal protective equipment when handling chemicals. Terry's warning can never be overstated.

OT:
Your computer has all those symbols all ready.

go to programs.
up to accessories.
down to tools.
click on character map.
click on font and symbol you want and the answer
will be in lower right corner.
ie: CTL+0162 =¢

so I was lamenting all this over a cig (in my poorly ventilated garage) and breakfast (steak and eggs, dog loved it)

what about the people who smell their oil?
rubbing it between your fingertips seems bad.
I'm not trying to be a smart@$$, I just wonder how much exposure of that nature would be harmful?

You'll end up looking like me ... if you had a Amsoil EaO oil filter instead of your current OEM liver I think it would be better for you!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
so I was lamenting all this over a cig (in my poorly ventilated garage) and breakfast (steak and eggs, dog loved it)

what about the people who smell their oil?
rubbing it between your fingertips seems bad.
I'm not trying to be a smart@$$, I just wonder how much exposure of that nature would be harmful?

If all that stuff is REALLY bad for you, I dont think I have much time left. I smell my oil and tranny fluid or a regular basis. I think the most dangerous stuff to inhale are the solvents. I hear the aromatic solvents are some of the killers.
Ketone for example can go right through your skin. And on this site I have read posts from folks who worked in industries where they were exposed to things like that and toluene and they an coworkers had effects from it.

I dont worry much about motor oil. When I change my oil I always end up with my hands in the drain pan since I ALWAYS drop that stupid drainplug!
lol.gif
I have had it spray used oil on my arms when I failed to notice it was right where the oil was about to shoot out from. To me, I think used oil even covering me is less harmful than when I use the parts cleaners that have acetone, toluene, ketone and the like in them.

I wont argue with Terry or any of our other chemical experts though. They have our best interests at heart, they dont want to see us get hurt or sick.

A good hint on how bad something is for you is how good it smells. Sweet smelling fluids are usually bad as a rule. I should actually pul. an IH sample on one to see what the VOC's are to be certain.

Working at a oil change place as my first job I got drenched in oil a few times.
More recently working at a burnout "race" shop I was regularly covered in dirty oil or grease/grime.
I wonder what the future holds...

Hanging onto the drainplug is a zen thing.
Gloves help when it's really hot.

Terry, how'd you hear bad out my bad liver?
dunno.gif

I remember in the screen printing shop back in the late 70s using Xylol to clean ink out of screens. We never wore gloves. Also were using carbon tetra chloride to get stray ink spots out of shirts.

But the doctor has been monitoring my liver because I am on niacin to control low HDL and he says my liver looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back