LC doesn't change the dipstick reading??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2nd car I have added the normal amount of oil during an oil change and have added 16 oz of Lube Control and the reading on the dipstick did not change after adding a pint of Lube Control. HMmmm... Is it sorta like adding sugar to tea? When you first add sugar, it won't make the volume of tea rise at first because the sugar molecules are fitting between the spaces in the H20. I made straight "A's" in organic chemistry....pat myself on the back
grin.gif

Or have I just been sniffing too much LC????
cool.gif

Very interesting, heh? Possible explanation??

Stuart, on both cars I've added my fresh oil 1/2 qt less than usual. You know, trying to allow for the 1/2 qt of LC I'm adding. I check my oil on the dipstick and it is 1/2 qt low. I then proceeded to add 1/2 qt of oil and it brings the oil to the full mark. Can anybody explain it?

I'm using LC first and then gonna AutoRx the rascals 2X. HAHAHAHHAHAHA..
crushedcar.gif
Sludge and varnish and crude....you are doomed.....
fruit.gif

[ June 12, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Gebo ]

Interesting as I asked the same question after I added the "Brew" of #132 and LC in a 3:1 ratio. I swore the dipstick did not change and the #132 or LC or something was staying up in the engine and not dripping back into the pan. Is it our imagination or is something really happening.

Spector,

Maybe the "BIG" Dogs can help us, i.e., Molakule and Terry (in alphabetical order
wink.gif
)

How can I add 16 oz of LC and it not move the level on my dipstick?

Perhaps we a have a "going into solution" situation?

2+2=4 does NOT apply to volume of mixed liquids (or gasses or solids for that matter!)

For example: 100 ml of anhydrous alcohol (pick your favorite, I like EtOH) + 100 ml of H2O, does NOT equal 200 ml.....of cocktail....the EtOH is very soluble in the water.

I believe you are all on the right track. If these products were "oil based", then they would "add" to the volume of the oil. However, they not only are miscible with the crankcase oil, but also soluble in the oil. That is the effect that you are all seeing.

Bottom line is, use your regular fill of crankcase oil and add your soluble product of LC, AutoRX...

LC is petroleum based,(from LC/FP brochure from Odis:"All materials in this product are by-products of petroleum.") but by the time the chemists get through with it, it doesn't look, feel, smell, or act like any other petroleum based product I'm familiar with-it actualy seems drawn *To* heat! When added to motor oil, it may very well "blend in" like water & alcohol.

Gebo, any cooties in your engine don't have a chance!
grin.gif

Gebo,

The LC is completely soluble in the oil, but should add some volume to the oil. In my experience, a pint doesn't really raise the dipstick level to an observable difference.

As I have stated earlier, Odis' recommended treatment rates are copied from earlier literature and do not follow our recommended levels. I would only use LC as a flush in the 16 0z. treatment rates.

Our Recommendations for LC are as follows (for gas engines):
Add 6 oz. initially, and 1 oz. thereafter every 1k. This replenishes the volatile cleaning components.
As a flush, use 16 oz, then drain oil and install new filter.

If you are using the LC/#132 brew, use a ratio of 3:1 of #132 to LC, or in a gallon jug, mix six pints of Schaeffer's #132 and two pints of LC. Add 4-6 oz. of this mix to thin XW30 weight oils, and half of that to 40 weight oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back