Do-It-Yourself Maintenance For The Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the trip to my family's farm in east Texas over the weekend for a getaway. My sister-in-law asked me to take her car somewhere to get the oil changed, as it was coming due shortly and she was running short on time. I was happy to accommodate. She drives a 2017 Mustang 2.3, a purchase she made soon after she took my '17 Mustang 3.7 for a joy ride.

I considered taking it to the local Kwik Kar, but wanted a Motorcraft filter used, so elected to take it to the local Ford dealership's "Express Lube". What a mistake. If I'd had a crystal ball, I would have just bought a set of ramps and a filter wrench and changed her oil right there in the yard (there are no driveways or garages at the farm).

During the write-up process, I requested an upgrade to Mobil 1, and confirmed that they use Motorcraft filters.

Firstly, they're playing fast and loose with the word "Express", but since they rotated the tires as well, I didn't get too up-in-arms about how long I spent waiting.

They pulled the car around, I paid, and was on my way. I drove straight to the local coin-op car wash, as my sister-in-law isn't great with keeping it clean, and since I love doing it, I took this opportunity to remove the layer of bugs that were hardened to the front bumper.

I worked on it for a while, between washing, drying, dusting and vacuuming. I decided when that was all done, I'd check the dealership's work. I pulled the dipstick after 30+ minutes of sitting on level pavement, and it read right at the bottom of the hash marks. I took a 2nd and 3rd reading. Same.

I called the dealership and told them I was returning for a top-up. They said they'd be waiting.

I parked the car on a level section of pavement outside the shop, raised the hood, pulled the dipstick, wiped it clean, and laid it across the engine to wait for the oil to make its trip back to the pan. A couple of minutes passed before the service writer, and the technician walked over to investigate my claim. The repeatedly jammed the dipstick back into the engine, wiping, and repeating about 10 times, seemingly hoping for a different answer. They finally acknowledged that it appeared to be lower than it should be, and the technician stated "I put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20 like the work order said". I asked him to repeat himself. He said it again.

I then told the service writer that I wanted the oil changed again, and pointed to the text on the oil fill cap.

We went back into the office, where they began pecking on the computer in search of the correct oil specifications for the car. The computer confirmed 5W-30....which begs the question about why the work order says 5W-20.

The service writer then looked up at me and said "5W-20 won't hurt it any, but we'll do whatever you'd like us to do". I insisted they change it.

They didn't have the car 10 minutes before it was pulled back around, allegedly ready to go. I asked for a new receipt staying that 5W-30 was used. The service writer scribbled on the original receipt that the oil was replaced with 5W-30, and away I went. After that short amount of time, I knew there was no way they had changed the filter, and had serious doubts that they changed the oil vs. just topping it up.

I'm now at the point where I trust no-one, so I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and picked up a quart of Mobil 1 15W-50. I checked the oil in the Wal-Mart parking lot, which read about 1/3 of the way up the hash marks. I added 15W-50 until it reached the pinhole above the hashmarks.

I'd say this is a perfect example of why I'm so grateful that I'm afforded the luxury of doing this stuff at home for my own cars, and why this Ford dealership won't be seeing any more business from my family.

Had a similar experience with a 2010 Fusion I bought new for my wife. I usually do all my own oil changes but several free changes came with the car so when the first one was due I thought what the heck, what could possibly go wrong? Picked up the car a couple of hours later and went home. After letting the car sit for an hour I checked the oil. Was about 1/8" above the bottom of the dipstick. It took almost 2 quarts to get the level to the full line.

I went ballistic and called and unloaded on the service manager. He apologized and said it was hard to believe since it was the Quick Lane Supervisor who did the change. Regardless, he offered me three extra free oil changes as a compensation. I laughed and said, "So you get three more chances to ruin my engine? Not a chance Vance." Last time that service department ever saw me.

I consider myself fortunate, that anytime that I don't feel like doing it myself, that my mechanic will change it for $10, as long as I bring whatever oil and filter that I'd like him to use.

Since I'm on Jasper engine #3.. and still under warranty... that $10 seems to be cheap enough to have someone else do it, and get a receipt from the shop that installed the Jasper engine, that documents the change.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I consider myself fortunate, that anytime that I don't feel like doing it myself, that my mechanic will change it for $10, as long as I bring whatever oil and filter that I'd like him to use.

Since I'm on Jasper engine #3.. and still under warranty... that $10 seems to be cheap enough to have someone else do it, and get a receipt from the shop that installed the Jasper engine, that documents the change.

Wonder if that $10 mechanic is the reason you're on number 3???
Sorry, I just had too...

The title of this thread is misleading, both you and the dealership put the wrong grade of oil in. I think you were a little harsh on them not changing the filter, not a huge deal. The car deffo got bulk 5W20 and probably still has it in there, no way is some annoying customer going to cost the service advisor his commission because he specified the wrong oil. Leaving the dipstick out of the engine was a strange move, I'm going to guess you left the part out about you being less than courteous towards them when you returned for a top off.

I don't understand why BITOGers go to the dealership. This is a strange forum, a lot of people have new cars here but a lot of people also have heaps. Everyone seems to know to not go to the dealership for oil changes but many still do, and some even pay for the privilege!
18.gif

I have my doubts they even used Mobil-1 oil in that engine. Ford dealer, 5W-20 oil. You drove away from that dealership with (if you're lucky) 6 quart of Motorcraft 5W-20 oil in that engine. Not a bad oil, but certainly not what you paid for.

One of the many reasons I do my own changes whenever possible.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I went ballistic and called and unloaded on the service manager. He apologized and said it was hard to believe since it was the Quick Lane Supervisor who did the change. Regardless, he offered me three extra free oil changes as a compensation. I laughed and said, "So you get three more chances to ruin my engine? Not a chance Vance." Last time that service department ever saw me.

You should have said "Gladly, but I will just take the oil and do the changes myself, make it Motorcraft, please!" like a true BITOGer!

About the only kwikee lube I use is a Valvoline franchise. and only for oil and a filter. With a 99$ list price for 0w20 synthetic. I bought a 10pack of filters and a coupla jugs of Valvoline 0w20. Gonna be a cold day in January before I pay that again.

You wanted them to change the filter too ? Because it was what, "contaminated" with 5W-20 ? Then you put 15W-50 in it....

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
You wanted them to change the filter too ? Because it was what, "contaminated" with 5W-20 ? Then you put 15W-50 in it....

Contaminated? No. Full of 5W-20? Yes.

3/4 quart of 5W-20 left in the filter, plus 3/4 quart of 15W-50 added later will sum to a theoretical 1.5 quarts of 10W-30. Best option I could see to get the oil where I wanted it.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
OMG....I think they should replace the whole engine...it's been compromised...

OMG...I've got a big fake laugh with your name all over it!!

Here's what I think happened. They took the car, topped it up, waited a few minutes and sent the OP packing, swearing up and down they did the work. Here's what I do and my logic for doing so. If you're going to call someone out, either you watch them make the fix, or ask for a refund, politely. I watched and heard war stories from PO'ed techs at a few dealerships I worked at do things, some very spiteful things to customer's cars because they were spoken down to by the customer, or reamed by the service writer or manager. Once that car leaves your sight if you PO'ed someone enough you're leaving yourself open for some kind of possible retaliation.

If they did change the oil I see zero reason in changing the filter.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
To the OP: So do you think the dealer used bulk Mobil 1, or allegedly did they whip out six bottles? Sorry to hear about the hassle. If you want it done right.....

I tried to watch the process through the waiting room window, but every time I had a clear field of vision for a minute or two, they'd pull another F-250 into the bay in front of the window, so I couldn't tell if they used a jug, or a hose. In another 5,000 miles, it'll all be moot. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

You should have said "Gladly, but I will just take the oil and do the changes myself, make it Motorcraft, please!" like a true BITOGer!

I guess I should have done that. When I traded that POS on my wife's 2011 BMW, they had me down for 6 unused free oil changes (That would be 30 quarts).

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Here's what I think happened. They took the car, topped it up, waited a few minutes and sent the OP packing, swearing up and down they did the work. Here's what I do and my logic for doing so. If you're going to call someone out, either you watch them make the fix, or ask for a refund, politely. I watched and heard war stories from PO'ed techs at a few dealerships I worked at do things, some very spiteful things to customer's cars because they were spoken down to by the customer, or reamed by the service writer or manager. Once that car leaves your sight if you PO'ed someone enough you're leaving yourself open for some kind of possible retaliation.

None of this turned into an ugly exchange. I never once talked down to anyone. I only brought attention to their mistakes when there were, one by one, revealed to me during the course of the day, in an effort to get it corrected.

If dealerships are going to get their little feelers bent because someone wants the job done correctly, and holds them accountable, perhaps they should be more careful, or get out of the business.

If this engine happened to use a quart of oil during the 5,000 mile OCI, which is completely plausible, the oil level wouldn't have even registered on the dipstick by the time it was ready for another oil change. I don't find that acceptable. For a dealership to put in the incorrect viscosity of oil, when the correct viscosity is listed in at least 3 different places, just serves to highlight their apathy toward other peoples' property. Ford spec'd 5W-30 for this engine....why aren't their service departments abiding by that? Additionally, am I to believe that they even bothered to check the oil level before backing the car out? If they did, were they fine with it reading below the hashmarks? If they didn't, .....shouldn't they? Neither scenario is good.

In regard to the filter, I made the incorrect assumption that, because the filter was full of the incorrect oil, that they would change it. There I go assuming the best again.

As far as sabotage....if wrecking someone's vehicle is what they need to do to make themselves feel better, by all means, get after it. At 17,000 miles, it can visit the dealership again, for warranty work.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

None of this turned into an ugly exchange. I never once talked down to anyone. I only brought attention to their mistakes when there were, one by one, revealed to me during the course of the day, in an effort to get it corrected.

If dealerships are going to get their little feelers bent because someone wants the job done correctly, and holds them accountable, perhaps they should be more careful, or get out of the business.

If this engine happened to use a quart of oil during the 5,000 mile OCI, which is completely plausible, the oil level wouldn't have even registered on the dipstick by the time it was ready for another oil change. I don't find that acceptable. For a dealership to put in the incorrect viscosity of oil, when the correct viscosity is listed in at least 3 different places, just serves to highlight their apathy toward other peoples' property. Ford spec'd 5W-30 for this engine....why aren't their service departments abiding by that? Additionally, am I to believe that they even bothered to check the oil level before backing the car out? If they did, were they fine with it reading below the hashmarks? If they didn't, .....shouldn't they? Neither scenario is good.

In regard to the filter, I made the incorrect assumption that, because the filter was full of the incorrect oil, that they would change it. There I go assuming the best again.

As far as sabotage....if wrecking someone's vehicle is what they need to do to make themselves feel better, by all means, get after it. At 17,000 miles, it can visit the dealership again, for warranty work.

I was merely stating what can happen, and how to avoid it. Watching helps whenever there is a complaint, like using the wrong oil in this instance. I'm very happy you had no further issues.

The filter, maybe they removed and drained it, maybe.

As far as revenge, I recall one sick tech bragging about taking leak on a customer's back seat. The customer complained about grease on the steering wheel and came back for him to clean it. There are morons out there like that.

I am not sure I have ever paid for a oil change service.
Too many low or no oil fills, stripped oil plug threads, over tightened filters.
Probably a lotta air tool over tightened lugs as well.

Once I had to replace a friends oil pan cuz the oil plug was cross threaded and muscled in.
It was rounded by the time she asked me to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back