New Yamaha F90 oil change...dipstick vs. manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did my first oil change on my 2018 Yamaha F90XB. This is also my first 4-stroke outboard. The manual says it takes 3.17 US quarts without filter change and 3.38 US quarts with filter change. After draining (and playing with trim to make sure everything was out). I put approximately 3.17 quarts in (didn't change filter). I checked to make sure motor was level (put a level on the cavitation plate) and found I was at the bottom of the dipstick crosshatching. I decided to let it sit all night and re-check the next day. Same spot on dipstick. Added about a 1/4 quart. This brought it up a little (closer to the middle of the dipstick). Added touch more and now I'm about 3/4 the way up the crosshatch. I'm closer to 3.7 quarts added now (considerably more then what the manual states it takes). I decided to check what I removed. Dumped my drain pan into an empty 5 quart oil jug. Looks like about 3.5 quarts. This oil would have been added by the dealer since new motors are shipped dry (according to the manual).

While doing some searching I found this article from Yamaha: http://maintenance.yamahaoutboards.com/engine-oil-lube/

It states:
At the proper oil level, the oil should be halfway up crosshatch pattern on the dipstick.
Tip: The top and bottom of the crosshatch pattern on the dipstick do not represent “high” and “low.” The correct oil level indication is at the mid-point of the pattern. Use caution when filling or adding oil. Yamaha four-stroke outboards have a tapered oil sump design (smaller at the top than the bottom), so the closer the oil level is to full, the faster it fills. Therefore, add oil slowly and in small amounts, and do not attempt to “top off.” Do not allow the oil level to surpass the upper portion of the crosshatch pattern. Doing so may result in aeration of the oil, reducing lubricity and oil pressure, and may cause eventual engine damage.

It have attached a pic from manual on checking the engine oil level. It says "Check that the oil level on the oil dipstick is between the upper and lower marks".

The manual makes it sound like should be anywhere between the upper and lower marks (crosshatch area). The Yamaha website makes it sound like it should be be right in the middle. I think I might remove a little to be safe but was curious if anyone else has ran into this.

Thanks

No expert, but the positioning of the gas tank inside the boat might affect the tilt of the boat. A full gas tank will tilt the stern down a bit, and might change the level on the stick depending on where the dipstick enters the sump. I believe the limits on the dipstick reflect this effect.

With my Merc, the proper procedure is to check the oil level when the engine is cold. Instructions state to tilt the engine all the way forward for a minute or 2 then lower the engine "level", not all the way down, then give it another minute or two.

Like your's, my Merc manual also states "anywhere" in the cross hatching is fine. I try to keep it close to the top, but I am anal and I know it is not necessary.

You might talk to the dealer mechanic about that.
I wouldn't bother removing any oil 'just to be safe' as
most all engines can handle a slight overfill.
There are some issues with dip stick differences on GM cars/trucks
during the last few years.
Doubt that would affect you.

Leave it, enjoy it.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: FastLane
They say anywhere in the middle because a lot of 4 strokes make oil. Need room for "expansion".

Your engine should not be making oil. If you are making "oil", read this. Like what I mentioned in another post, you need your engine to be able to reach its maximum RPM. If you are not or can't, then you need to re-prop.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-r...-willy-b-wright

BITOG is even mentioned in this post about oil analysis. Also, this is also a good reason to be running 4 stroke outboard oil in your outboards instead of just regular car oil like some say is OK to do.
coffee2.gif

Keep it at the middle point, where arrow is pointing in your picture.

Most new yamahas you have to pull the dipstick twice to get an accurate reading. First pull is usually very low. Then allow pressure to equalize and put dipstick in for second pull that will be an accurate reading. Not sure if you did this, just making sure.

Last edited:
Decided to drain a little oil. Checked before and after taking boat out and its in the middle of the crosshatching.

I always go by the dipstick and not by the owners manual. These things can vary quite a bit but at the end of the day I would go by the dipstick. These newer motors
have a low level alarm that will go off but you certainly don't want to go to that extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back