Lawn mower oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave123
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That Exmark oil sounds good and they design it for their engine.

Exmark now builds their own engines really???

In English their engine means what they sell OR make, really.

With air cooled engines, I feel better with a xW-40 weight oil in the engne.
That said, most diesel oils will work fine in OPE engines of any type.
My go to is Rotella T-6. It's a synthetic oil 5W-40.
The new Rotella synthetic 15W-40 sounds good as well.
Both are readily available, and reasonably priced.
No MLM involved.

My 2¢

Any good 10w30 will work fine. I use a high mileage 10w30 in my riding and push mower.

But as said in the last lawn mower oil thread chances are the rest of the mower will wear out and/or you will damage it long before you have oil issues.

Since this is a new mower, I would use the Exmark oil you have pictured. That is what the mfr recommends, right? At least for a couple of changes.

After that, I'd use an Amsoil Small engine oil. I use the 10w-40.

What, is it an Exmark engine? Or is it a Kawasaki or something else?

Last edited:
It's the Exmark engine.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Since this is a new mower, I would use the Exmark oil you have pictured. That is what the mfr recommends, right? At least for a couple of changes.

Originally Posted by icemanrrc
It's the Exmark engine.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Ok. I'd use their oil for at least the first 2 or 3 changes.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
sae30 and 10w30 basically no difference in the temperature that a lawnmower operates in. it's normal to see newer lawnmowers using sae30 detergent type oil. the 10w is a winter rating. follow the manufactures recommendation as in for break-in and normal maintenance. after the break-in use either mobil 1 10w30 or supertech 10w30 both are great.

I already have two cases of Shell Rotella 5w30 full synthetic sitting in my garage. Could I just use this?

Originally Posted by icemanrrc
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
sae30 and 10w30 basically no difference in the temperature that a lawnmower operates in. it's normal to see newer lawnmowers using sae30 detergent type oil. the 10w is a winter rating. follow the manufactures recommendation as in for break-in and normal maintenance. after the break-in use either mobil 1 10w30 or supertech 10w30 both are great.

I already have two cases of Shell Rotella 5w30 full synthetic sitting in my garage. Could I just use this?

It would run fine on that, just check the level. Some manuals say that multi-viscosity oils cause a bit of oil usage.

+1

Originally Posted by dwendt44
With air cooled engines, I feel better with a xW-40 weight oil in the engne.
That said, most diesel oils will work fine in OPE engines of any type.
My go to is Rotella T-6. It's a synthetic oil 5W-40.
The new Rotella synthetic 15W-40 sounds good as well.
Both are readily available, and reasonably priced.
No MLM involved.

My 2¢

My Toro 2007 burns oil when I use 10W-30 (engine manual mentions this). I've always used SAE30 but it's becoming harder to find. If I switch to 10W-30, is the oil consumption anything to be concerned with or is it just the result of using it in small engines because of the multi-viscosity properties? In other words, will this cause gas to leak into the oil, etc? I don't want to have to hunt for oil for this 16 yr old beast.

Originally Posted by Woody71
My Toro 2007 burns oil when I use 10W-30 (engine manual mentions this). I've always used SAE30 but it's becoming harder to find. If I switch to 10W-30, is the oil consumption anything to be concerned with or is it just the result of using it in small engines because of the multi-viscosity properties? In other words, will this cause gas to leak into the oil, etc? I don't want to have to hunt for oil for this 16 yr old beast.

You won't have any issues. I've seen a few manuals mention oil burning with 10w30, but I have yet to see that. If you are worried about consumption, use a synthetic 10w30. A cheap synthetic like supertech 10w30 synthetic is about the same price as some other conventional 10w30s. The only time I've noticed oil burning with a 5w30 or 10w30 is with engines that already burn a lot of oil to begin with, they usually just consume more unless a HDEO like a 15w40 is used.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I maintain my workplace 13 year old Kawasaki powered Exmark mower shown below. It only has 900 hours on it, so it has an easy life compared to most commercial mowers. With spare time, I detailed it intensively last week... turned out amazing.

I don't believe that engine and/or mower branded oils are superior. It's just marketing.

I used that Exmark synthetic oil just for fun for a number of years, one OCI per year @ 70 - 90 hours. Somewhere in this abyss is a discussion about the oil and my UOA. I remember being a bit disappointed that it sheared a bit more than I liked with only 70+ hours on it. It is/was made by a small company in Minnesota - used to be called Lubrication Technologies Inc.. It is over priced at about $9/quart at my dealer. I think there are excellent alternatives at much better pricing. I prefer to use an oil that is HDEO rated in outdoor power products. Brand and/or viscosity to meet your climate and use factors - 10w30, 10w40, 5w40, and 15w40 are probably the most likely candidates.

Found my UOA here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2448631

Amsoil ACD (not ACE) for OPE discussion here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2205024

Very long, but good discussion on grades for mowers: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3900503/1

[Linked Image]

Wow. Equipment stays looking nice when they go outside to mow then come back inside immediately.

In GA. I would go with straight 30 as recommended. 10-30 would also work but I have read in many manuals to expect more oil consumption. It's new, stick with what is recommended in your manual, not the ones who have suggest and have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
...stick with what is recommended in your manual, not the ones who have suggest and have nothing to lose.

^this is probably the best advice I have ever seen on this forum!

Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by Lubener
...stick with what is recommended in your manual, not the ones who have suggest and have nothing to lose.

^this is probably the best advice I have ever seen on this forum!

Wt wise yes, brand wise no way. With all the post just on this site about every brand and wt of oil they have used and had great success with, price and availability should be your guide. Any mfgrs oil will cost more, and not provide and provable better motor life. 200,000 miles on $3 a qt oil will leave you with more $$ in your pocket, then 200,000 miles on $10 a qt oil will. Mowers , if you take the most minimum care of it should last 20 years. The parts may rot off or wear out, but the motor will outlast the rest of it. Mine is 23 years old and I just replaced the original spark plug. Store brand oil ,some form of 30 wt or 15/40. whatever is handy. Newer motors don't even give you the option of a drain plug to change the oil. You gotta get creative to do it. Not impossible and definitely worth the effort.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back