Lawn mower oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search but couldn't find the answer to my question. I have a new Exmark mower that requires initial break-in oil change at 5 hours. I'm wanting to put in the best quality full synthetic oil that would be best for this application, but I'm not sure of which oil, would be best. The manufacturer sells a blend oil that they want you to buy but I'm confused as to the weight. The label says both 30 and 10w30. So, I don't know which one to buy.

D8DFD309-013D-4FC4-AF3E-A77FB5B39251.jpeg

ED01D2BC-F7B3-4593-8948-2CBCDD635A6D.jpeg

sae30 and 10w30 basically no difference in the temperature that a lawnmower operates in. it's normal to see newer lawnmowers using sae30 detergent type oil. the 10w is a winter rating. follow the manufactures recommendation as in for break-in and normal maintenance. after the break-in use either mobil 1 10w30 or supertech 10w30 both are great.

I've been strongly considering this. My only issue with Amsoil is that it's hard to get. No one near me keeps it in stock. All I need is 2 quarts. They want to charge $9 to ship.

If you don't tell us what model and what engine cant tell you anything.

Little push mowers run on anything. The standard ODPE is Rotella T4 triple protect 10w30

That exmark oil doesnt meet API labeling standards or have an API donut, but that is not unusual for low volume specialty oils.
But its not certified. Now it may be good stuff from the marketing verbiage but who knows.

So walk behind or zero turn rider?

this is what you want for most anything:

[Linked Image]

That eXmark oil actually sounds pretty good as if the engineers or whoever in charge of choosing actually knows something about oil. Is it overpriced or do you feel you'll get longer engine life using Amsoil?

The dual rated 30W and 10W30 is because the oil uses a good synthetic base oil which usually requires no viscosity index improvers in a 10W30 viscosity.
Very few oil companies wanna confuse customers and list both weights. BTW, That eXmark oil has an MSDS flash point of 465.8 and really appears to be a good product.
If you have a weird issue like a plastic cam lobe wearing out requiring warranty work or work beyond the warranty, you might get more favorable treatment if you stick to using eXmark oil.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That Exmark oil sounds good and they design it for their engine.

Exmark now builds their own engines really???

I maintain my workplace 13 year old Kawasaki powered Exmark mower shown below. It only has 900 hours on it, so it has an easy life compared to most commercial mowers. With spare time, I detailed it intensively last week... turned out amazing.

I don't believe that engine and/or mower branded oils are superior. It's just marketing.

I used that Exmark synthetic oil just for fun for a number of years, one OCI per year @ 70 - 90 hours. Somewhere in this abyss is a discussion about the oil and my UOA. I remember being a bit disappointed that it sheared a bit more than I liked with only 70+ hours on it. It is/was made by a small company in Minnesota - used to be called Lubrication Technologies Inc.. It is over priced at about $9/quart at my dealer. I think there are excellent alternatives at much better pricing. I prefer to use an oil that is HDEO rated in outdoor power products. Brand and/or viscosity to meet your climate and use factors - 10w30, 10w40, 5w40, and 15w40 are probably the most likely candidates.

Found my UOA here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2448631

Amsoil ACD (not ACE) for OPE discussion here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2205024

Very long, but good discussion on grades for mowers: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3900503/1

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If you don't tell us what model and what engine cant tell you anything.

Little push mowers run on anything. The standard ODPE is Rotella T4 triple protect 10w30

That exmark oil doesnt meet API labeling standards or have an API donut, but that is not unusual for low volume specialty oils.
But its not certified. Now it may be good stuff from the marketing verbiage but who knows.

So walk behind or zero turn rider?

this is what you want for most anything:

[Linked Image]

It's a zero turn riding. The engine is Exmark. It's 22.5 HP, 708cc. It holds a tad over 2 quarts of oil.

Excellent, beautiful mower. I'm the same way with my mower as all my stuff. I detail my mower and keep all my tools, power tools wiped clean.
Thank you for the thread links.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I maintain my workplace 13 year old Kawasaki powered Exmark mower shown below. It only has 900 hours on it, so it has an easy life compared to most commercial mowers. With spare time, I detailed it intensively last week... turned out amazing.

I don't believe that engine and/or mower branded oils are superior. It's just marketing.

I used that Exmark synthetic oil just for fun for a number of years, one OCI per year @ 70 - 90 hours. Somewhere in this abyss is a discussion about the oil and my UOA. I remember being a bit disappointed that it sheared a bit more than I liked with only 70+ hours on it. It is/was made by a small company in Minnesota - used to be called Lubrication Technologies Inc.. It is over priced at about $9/quart at my dealer. I think there are excellent alternatives at much better pricing. I prefer to use an oil that is HDEO rated in outdoor power products. Brand and/or viscosity to meet your climate and use factors - 10w30, 10w40, 5w40, and 15w40 are probably the most likely candidates.

Found my UOA here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2448631

Amsoil ACD (not ACE) for OPE discussion here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2205024

Very long, but good discussion on grades for mowers: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3900503/1

[Linked Image]

I feel like it's unknown oil, overpriced and that something like Amsoil, Mobil1 or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would be a better quality, better protecting oil.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
That eXmark oil actually sounds pretty good as if the engineers or whoever in charge of choosing actually knows something about oil. Is it overpriced or do you feel you'll get longer engine life using Amsoil?

The dual rated 30W and 10W30 is because the oil uses a good synthetic base oil which usually requires no viscosity index improvers in a 10W30 viscosity.
Very few oil companies wanna confuse customers and list both weights. BTW, That eXmark oil has an MSDS flash point of 465.8 and really appears to be a good product.
If you have a weird issue like a plastic cam lobe wearing out requiring warranty work or work beyond the warranty, you might get more favorable treatment if you stick to using eXmark oil.

I briefly tried to do a bottle match … a bit like Amalie who runs a big rebranding operation like Warren.
Might be markings on the bottom ?

Just go down to Walmart and get some of their Super Tech SAE 30 HD. It meets the engine's specs. Toro uses the same Loncin engine as Exmark. Super Tech SAE 30 HD is what I run in my Toro Timecutter 54HD.
Printed On: March 19, 2019
Description
WALMART HD 30 6/1QT WSE
Inspection Information Test Method Typical Value
Gravity, °API
ASTM D287
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.877
Flash Point, °C
ASTM D92
Flash Point, °F ASTM D92 410
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt
ASTM D445
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt ASTM D445 10.94
Viscosity Index
ASTM D2270
Pour Point, °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -33°C (-27°F)
High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP
ASTM D5481
Noack Volatility, % loss ASTM D6375 6.1
Color
ASTM D1500
Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.085
Phosphorus, wt. %
ASTM D5185
Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.132
Sulfur, wt. %
ASTM D4951
Magnesium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.043