Lawn Mower Blade Height

My Troy Bilt mower has blade height settings 1 - 6 ........ With 1 being the lowest and 6 being the highest .
I set it either on 4 or 5 depending on the weather ....... When would someone need it set as low as 1 ?

My Troy Bilt mower has blade height settings 1 - 6 ........ With 1 being the lowest and 6 being the highest .
I set it either on 4 or 5 depending on the weather ....... When would someone need it set as low as 1 ?
If you wanted a gold course type cut. Many years ago when in middle school and high school I had a number of customers that I mowed lawns for. One lady in particular wanted the back half cut like a golf course so her husband could practice his putting. I learned to not quote a flat rate till I saw the job.

I think there is some type of creeping grass that is used on I think golf greens that is actually cut that short

Most of the warm season grasses down south have no issues with a deck cut height of 1". Actual height of cut of 1.5" or so since the mower rides on the thatch layer.

1" is also a cut height for scalping if you are planning a kill-off or overseed.

Most of the warm season grasses down south have no issues with a deck cut height of 1". Actual height of cut of 1.5" or so since the mower rides on the thatch layer.

1" is also a cut height for scalping if you are planning a kill-off or overseed.
Huh ?

I think there is some type of creeping grass that is used on I think golf greens that is actually cut that short
I think they use a Reel Mower on the Greens >>>>>>>>>>>>

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 18-53-19 Rolux X20 20 Reel Mower.jpg

I 'm not sure if setting 1 is 1 inch or not

In SW Ohio, if I cut my grass at 3-1/2", it looks scalped. My ZTR has increments in 1/2" down to 1-1/2".

I've been wondering this recently as well.

I have a couple rental properties and I keep a lawnmower at each one, plus I do my parent's house, and grandparents on both sides are still in a house with a yard so I do those, and my dad's brother has a small yard nearby so I do that, they all have their own lawnmowers, so without trying to I'm somehow running a fleet of like a dozen different lawnmowers, and on every single one I only ever use a height setting either at the top or near it.

Why they trying to get people to cut so low?

Zoysia, centipede and bermuda are all regularly cut at 1" to 1.5" profile. The only outlier warm season grass is st. augustine which is cut as long as fescue.
St Augustine is no outlier in Texas, Louisiana, or Florida …

Last edited:
On the last mowing before winter. You don't want long grass in snow country.

Back