Lawn Mower Blade Height

I 'm not sure if setting 1 is 1 inch or not
Yeah, it’s important to measure actual blade height at the numbered settings for any particular mower

As another has posted in here, it is very true that warm season southern grass such as zoysia, centipede grass, bermuda grass can be cut very, very low

I personally cut it 2 inches on my centipede and past zoysia and Bermuda grass lawns, but it can be cut lower. I prefer the carpet like feel vs shaved down.
Close cut is what the landscapers do in many communities around here.

You are correct absolutely the best way to cut grass like this is with a reael mower however that’s less practical for the typical homeowner versus commercial establishment.

Last edited:
My 2007 Craftsman DGS6500 has 7 settings.
I used to mow on 5. Now exclusively on 6-7.
And these blades are awesome.
So happy I shifted from Gator Blades. Those minced the grass and made mush which clogged the deck.

IMG_2982.jpg

My 2007 Craftsman DGS6500 has 7 settings.
I used to mow on 5. Now exclusively on 6-7.
And these blades are awesome.
So happy I shifted from Gator Blades. Those minced the grass and made mush which clogged the deck.
Were you mowing when the grass was wet? That is rule #1 for mulching (Gators are mulching blades) the grass must be dry.

Summer - you want it set at the highest settings on your lawn mower. Too low you are creating too much stress on a already heat stressed lawn.

My Troy Bilt mower has blade height settings 1 - 6 ........ With 1 being the lowest and 6 being the highest .
I set it either on 4 or 5 depending on the weather ....... When would someone need it set as low as 1 ?
Depend on climate and type of grass you have. My front lawn robot is set to 2cm, which is 0.8 inches. Backyard robot is set to 1 inch. That results in very thick beautiful carpet-like Bermuda turf. Bermuda needs to be no longer than 2 inches. That would be my setting during drought and very high heat (Aug-end of Oct)

My Troy Bilt mower has blade height settings 1 - 6 ........ With 1 being the lowest and 6 being the highest .
I set it either on 4 or 5 depending on the weather ....... When would someone need it set as low as 1 ?
In the fall here in the Midwest so that the leaves blow off my lawn. It also prevents the grass from laying over under the snow.

FWIW my Deere LT150 has 1-4 and I cut at 1-3/4 in the fall for the reasons mentioned above.

Just my $0.02

Back