Latest security updates cauused BSOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I get back from the Arizona trip Thur. last. Sleep all day Fri. and part of Sat. Finally wake up, eat something, go flip on the laptop. Little gold security badge is winking at me down in lower RH corner of screen. Ignore it. Get more coffee. Read bitog. Read e-mail. Finally click on little badge. Go do something else. That evening, I'm reading bitog, little message pops up that I must shutdown computer to install updates. Do so, go to bed. Sun. morning switch on computer and go fix coffee. Later, go to computer and see BSOD. ***!!

Error is page fault in non-paged area

Stop 0x00000050(0xE5850910,0x8053CE32,0x00000002)

Spent most of Sun. trouble shooting. Tried just about everything I could find on the internet with no luck. Couldn't find anything with that exact error, but most reports point to some sort of missing device driver. Sent e-mail to MS asking for help.

I was able to boot up in safe mode, I tried a system restore from 2 weeks ago, didn't help.

Every time I tried to boot up it ran chkdsk, and found 1 or 2 bad sectors.

I'm wondering if maybe my HD is about to fail?? What do you think??

This morning I remembered that I had puppy Linux on a USB drive, so booted that up and am running it now and posting here using Firefox.

I'm thinking of getting a new HD before I go any farther with this.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated...............

Thanks

Wayne

Almost forgot.

This is my ACER laptop with AMD X64 processor, running winXP SP3 X64 Media Center Edition.

Last edited:
What's funny is that I just installed the latest round of MS updates and my computer had a BSOD as well...

Although it recovered and is working fine.

Page fault in non-paged area is more than likely RAM. I would download http://www.memtest.org/ and burn it to a bootable CD or bootable floppy if you have a floppy drive.

Quote:
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793437.aspx

I also ran into a similar problem. It said something like "Corrupted file...run chkdsk". My wife was able to get the system working but we've lost our desktop icons and the computer is acting strange.

Can somebody explain how I can try to restore my system to where it was 2 weeks ago? Thanks

Try booting in Safe Mode and go to the control panel and go to Add/Remove programs and remove the Updates in the list of programs that were the most recently installed. (You will have to click "Show Updates" at the top of this window) Then they will be towards the bottom of the programs list and it will tell you when they were installed. Just take out the ones that are the most recent. Then try rebooting in normal mode.

This should have removed the patches that were installed with Windows Update.

Once up and running again, go to windows update website and install one patch at a time and till you see which one is causing the problem. Could also be that your drivers are out of date or not compatible with the patches and causing it to hang on boot up.

This is why it would boot in Safe-Mode (Limited drivers) and not normal mode.

Good Luck
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Depending on how far it booted, you may be able to choose "Last Known Good Configuration" from the boot screen and be on your way.

pbm:

start -> run -> cmd

in the command prompt, type chkdsk /r

Hit Y to any prompts.

Reboot.

It will run a BIG checkdisk. May fix your issue.

Thanks, I'll ring out the HD this evening. I already tried the last known configuration, didn't work.

I'm still collecting info on possible ways to fix it.

I had a boot up BSOD problem recently. I used the repair function on my XP disc (I think I hit F8 at startup to access it), ran "chkdsk /r", "chkdsk /p", and then "fixboot", based on some internet advice. I don't know enough to know whether this might apply to you, but it worked for me.

If chkdsk turned up bad sectors, backup your important files now and get your hands on a replacement HDD. The current HDD isn't going to get better, only worse. You'll be in for a lot of frustration when new bad sectors appear where you've got your Outlook PST file, hive files, etc.

Ordered a WD 320gig HD from Newegg. Pulled the old drive and bagged it until I get the new one up and running.

Riight now I'm running Puppy from a 1gig USB drive. So cool............

Ok, my HD shipped and I should have it tomorrow. I plan to partition it 50-50-220 and setup duel boot. I will install XP in the first part., and some version of -nix in the 2nd. I want the 1st and 3rd. partitions to be HPFS, and I want the linux OS to be able to see and use all partitions as needed. Doesn't matter if windows can see the -nix partition. So, what file system should I use for the -nix partition?

Any other gottchas that I should watch out for?

Thanks for any/all info,
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back