Late model VW folks - what are you using for a block heater?

Chatted with a buddy today with a late model Golf R.
He said VW does not list, nor do they offer a block heater. I initially didn't believe him, then went to build and price a VW online.
Sure enough, there's no block heater listed as an option.
Are they expecting users to simply run thin oil (0w20 etc.) as opposed to using a heater?
😵

I use a 45K BTU natural gas garage heater which looks something like this:

Reznor 45K.jpg

When I was doing last-minute research into block heater options the day before I took delivery of the Tiguan, I found the following is an option:

I don't love the idea of a third party tearing into a brand new car, so I've held off on that. If I could be assured of the installer's reputation, I'd give it some serious thought. The combination of an inline coolant heater and an electric heater for the interior seems like a pretty good setup to me.

An inexpensive but cumbersome option would be a dipstick heater. I haven't tried that, and I don't intend to.

Dealer recommendation around here (Edmonton area) is to use a heated battery blanket. Last year was the first winter for our Tiguan, and I only used the battery blanket on a few very cold overnights (~ -35°C) as our garage was partially tied up with kayaks and the like. We didn't have any no-start situations. I built our shed this year, so now the VW gets to come in for the night.

Per a Reddit thread, it looks like this particular VW engine will not accommodate a traditional coolant-immersed block heater.

A trickle charger and battery blanket are recommended instead.

Our '82 Mazda GLC had an external block heater - a resistive element bolted to outside of the block. It glowed like an electric oven element, and worked very well. Too bad there's nothing like that available for the VW.

Chatted with a buddy today with a late model Golf R.
He said VW does not list, nor do they offer a block heater. I initially didn't believe him, then went to build and price a VW online.
Sure enough, there's no block heater listed as an option.
Are they expecting users to simply run thin oil (0w20 etc.) as opposed to using a heater?
😵
Do you have issues starting vehicle? Bcs. EA888 is ridiculously fast in reaching operating coolant temperature. It would warm up much faster than my Toyota with block heater.

What low temps do you see?
Without windchill, -22F isn't uncommon across most parts of western Canada.

Our '82 Mazda GLC had an external block heater - a resistive element bolted to outside of the block. It glowed like an electric oven element, and worked very well. Too bad there's nothing like that available for the VW.
I dated a girl who had a 91 Chevy Sprint.
It had a similar style of block heater which also worked well.
Do you have issues starting vehicle? Bcs. EA888 is ridiculously fast in reaching operating coolant temperature. It would warm up much faster than my Toyota with block heater.
He said he doesn't have issues on his 2016 R, but with time I know that'll change. Especially as the ignition components, starter, battery etc. age.

Last edited:
Yeah I question if you need one, I assume you park outside overnight and that's why you're interested. A strong battery should suffice as long as you are running a 5W or 0W in the sump. Block heaters are less and less common around here (same climate) I think due to just plain easier starting with modern vehicles.

Without windchill, -22F isn't uncommon across most parts of western Canada.

I dated a girl who had a 91 Chevy Sprint.
It had a similar style of block heater which also worked well.

He said he doesn't have issues on his 2016 R, but with time I know that'll change. Especially as the ignition components, starter, battery etc. age.
I never lose sleep over starting Tiguan in the mountains, and I started it as low as -40f. VW always had exceptionally good batteries and we changed OE battery couple year ago. Gave us 10yrs of life and EA888 is absolute oven under the hood.
I wouldn’t lose a sleep.

Back