Late '90s - early '00s 1/2 ton pickups: problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All brands & models have their warts. My take on used pickups is this: within your price range, look for condition, condition, condition.

A few months ago I really had in mind a full size Chevy/Ford/GMC shorty, around 98-04, but was willing to look at almost anything. After looking at dozens of high-priced poor-cond/dented/ratty/200K+ miles trucks priced *Way* too high, I found a very nice shape 02 Dakota, 3.9 V6 ATx Club Cab SXT, 89K miles, with about $500 worth of near-brand-new tires on it(less than 1000 miles on 'em). Yes, the 2WD versions do drive & handle much like a car. My 02 SXT Dakota even came with a rear sway bar. Though gas mileage is a little disappointing in my current mostly-short-hop driving mode(~17.5 mpg), & it needed a few basics added(frame mount hitch for example, now awaiting installation) I like it a lot!

Used pickup truck? Price & condition. IMO, brand name comes much further down the list.

Greetings everyone:

Thanks again for all of the great replies. Dad found a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd 4.8 V8 automatic, extended cab (2 small back doors), 6 1/2' bed for $4500 from a private owner. It is a darn sight nicer than most of what we found in the $2K to $5K price range. It is a REALLY clean "almost" one owner truck that lived in southern NJ (not a lot of salt on the roads compared to up here and over in NY state where my parents live). The original owner traded it on a new one in July and the last owner purchased it in August from a used car dealer. The last owner had to sell it due to health problems (confirmed.) The carfax check proved this timeline out also.

It has 183K on it but you would never know by looking at it or driving it. It runs and shifts great and is tight. Unfortunately there were no service records from the 1st owner but I am going to have Dad go to the GM dealer that they bought their Buicks from and run the VIN to see if any service records are available. The second owner put four new tires on it, new shocks and new rear brakes. The lack of service records was my only concern but the condition makes it a worthwhile risk in my opinion.

I will look at things more closely this weekend and decide what preventive maintenance should be done. Now I just have to say a prayer over the 4L60E and hopefully he should be OK.

Thanks again!

Andrew S.

good job! the ls series of motors is already turning out to be legendary, with examples showing up with more than 300,000 miles. you are going to want to listen when it is cold started for piston slap. some have it, some don't. but it is no worry because it doesn't effect the life of the motor and disappers after a minute.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
good job! the ls series of motors is already turning out to be legendary, with examples showing up with more than 300,000 miles. you are going to want to listen when it is cold started for piston slap. some have it, some don't. but it is no worry because it doesn't effect the life of the motor and disappers after a minute.

I will have to listen for that; I did start it cold at the owner's house but didn't notice piston slap just after startup. By the time I took it for a ride it had been running for two or three minutes.

My main worry on this truck is the lifespan of the 4L60E transmission. Without service records it is admittedly a gamble even though it seems to be performing fine and the fluid isn't burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back