Larger alterantive to FL820s

Status
Not open for further replies.
This subj has been hashed and rehashed on this site and there is no good alternative larger filter. I found one at Baldwin though but am not sure I want to try it. The FL820s at Baldwin is a B329. The alternative I found is B281, which is the same gasket, thread, and diameter, but 1.5 inches longer. The B281 has an antidrainback valve also, but if you cross ref it to a Wix, the Wix version appears to NOT have an antidrainback valve. Confusing, especially if you die (dry humor here) and wife has someone else change her oil and they simply get the Wix replacement of what is on the car.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

If you DIE, she's goin' out and buying a Mustang convertable in red.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you DIE, she's goin' out and buying a Mustang convertable in red.
smile.gif

I wish (not die) but she buy a Mustang (but not a convertable), and preferably with a manual transmission since she always "lets" me drive when I am with her.

If someone else changed the filter, they'd just put on what the books call out. Only BITOGers do the larger size filter "upgrade" trick.
wink.gif

Wouldn't the Amsoil, M1, Ultra, Bosch D+ all be equivalent to being larger?

More dirt holding capacity and less restriction for a given level of filtering efficiency.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Wouldn't the Amsoil, M1, Ultra, Bosch D+ all be equivalent to being larger?

More dirt holding capacity and less restriction for a given level of filtering efficiency.
So you are saying they have a greater number of pleats? That is a good idea.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, full syn filters also have less restriction and more capacity as well. The M1 is a blend, not a full syn. Can't remember if the D+ is full syn or a blend.

Seems Fleetguard has a synthetic media version for the FL1A. Wonder if they have it for the FL820s. Or, could I put a new threaded stud in the filter mount to take the FL1A?

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Seems Fleetguard has a synthetic media version for the FL1A. Wonder if they have it for the FL820s. Or, could I put a new threaded stud in the filter mount to take the FL1A?

Yes, they do. But I had start-up noise with it, FWIW. It has a rubber ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back