Large engine rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not much interest in these bigger engines. Cat C-18 rebuild. Pretty straight forward. Engine had 60,000 hours of service. I will add as progress is made.

4_c18_rebuild_1_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_2_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_3_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_5_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_4_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_6_1.jpg

I'm guessing that's not the 880+ HP marine version, 60k hours is a pipe dream for them. What application was that motor for?

Is that a wet sleeve motor? What are you guys going to do mains and sleeves or just bore them over?

What about the IP, turbo, injectors etc.

Do you ever work on the real big stuff?

Originally Posted By: andyd
7446 hrs in a year. 60K hrs is roughly 9 yrs continuous running

I thought it was more like 8760hrs in a year, but I hear you. That doesn't seem possible.

Neat, look forward to more pics and knowing what/how you did things and what you found.

The engine started to get a knock. With that amount of hours it was the safe bet to swing in another engine before this one cratered.

Some of you don't think an engine can run for 60k?

If that equipment averaged 45 mph for it's lifetime it would be equivelant to 2.7 million miles.

The Matco tool truck that comes by my work is over 20K hrs on a 5.9L Cummins.

It could well have been in generator service. Those engines run 24 hours a day and are sized for peak load.

Originally Posted By: yucca

Some of you don't think an engine can run for 60k?

I'm not a HD diesel expert, but I'm still doubting this figure. This is the equivalent of running continuously for 7 YEARS.

I'm responsible for a whole slew of multi million dollar compressors, recip, centrifugal and screw, that run steady state compressing pure gasses. Most of them won't run that long between major servicing.

Last edited:
Having driven telescopic fork trucks all my life and currently owning a cat with 2000 hours on the rebuilt engine I can say from experience that 10000 hours on these machines is pretty much it and the engines need overhaul.
They aren't continuous duty though. They go full throttle to idle and back,so we do beat the tar out of them.
Continuous duty might last longer since there is no cold start effect.

The main and rod bearings look good for an engine with so many hours. That was not the reason for the knock. Their was some slop with the pistons in the number 3 and 4 hole. The fell way to easy. Maybe that was the source of the knock. From the looks it appears this one could have gone further. But with so many engines in the 50K plus range right behind this one it is a good time for a zero hour overhaul.

I took a bunch of photos of the progress.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I'm guessing that's not the 880+ HP marine version, 60k hours is a pipe dream for them. What application was that motor for?

Is that a wet sleeve motor? What are you guys going to do mains and sleeves or just bore them over?

What about the IP, turbo, injectors etc.

Do you ever work on the real big stuff?

I will post photos of the progress. This is what is called a zero hour overhaul. Most part will be replaced.

We rebuild all of the 3500 series fleet. Not the biggest but they are quite a bit larger than the C-15, C-18's.

4_c18_rebuild_7_1.jpg

Some of the rod bearings don't look to bad for the number of hours. They all looked about the same.
4_c18_rebuild_10_1.jpg

The old piston liners two were pretty sloppy.
4_c18_rebuild_9_1.jpg

Pulled the flywheel and crank to inspect and replace the main bearings.
4_c18_rebuild_11_1.jpg

New bearings.
4_c18_rebuild_12_1.jpg

Torqued to 190ft pounds + 120 degree turn.

4_c18_rebuild_13_1.jpg

New liners.
4_c18_rebuild_14_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_15_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_16_1.jpg

Rear main seal install.

4_c18_rebuild_17_1.jpg

liners installed.

4_c18_rebuild_18_1.jpg

4_c18_rebuild_19_1.jpg

Flywheel install

Status