The Last Perfect Dash...well IMHO

Wife and I got a chance for some seat time in a new 911t and were extremely impressed. I haven't been in a newer one in ages, and I am generally not a fan of new cars and their displays, touch screens, etc., but this is fantastic; knobs, easy to discern and operate toggles for key controls and a real tachometer. The other gauges are displays and the center stack is also one, but not intrusive and rather intuitive. 'Intuitive' for me meaning I was able to easily select a few satellite and local stations and would probably not touch it again... This is about as much of a 'dumb' sports car as one can get these days.

I was also surprised how small and light (relatively) the car felt, especially the doors and the transmission is pretty much perfect, if not too compressed a pattern; 8 gears in a small space and short stick. Some reviewer said 'you wear this car', and its true, instantly at home.

Weather and someone had already bought this car, so couldn't have too much fun at all, but me the somewhat cynical automotive Luddite was very impressed.
9117p.jpg

Last edited:
Not wanting a vulnerable Imax screen on your dash nor paying for one doesn't, in my book, qualify one as a Luddite.

Knobs and switches may cost more but simply work. Touch screens vary across models and are changed to keep up with the Jones'.

I'm waiting for someone to repeat that screen controls are cheaper as the signals they produce are all which is necessary these days.
I'd rather not have the specter (Sword of Damocles) of an X year old screen failing in today's world of ridiculously expensive -and unavailable- parts.

Luddites are said to have feared for their jobs during the Industrial Revolution. Call me a 'seasoned consumer' who's on to their BS.
I'm not alone....but what are you going to do?

Last edited:
I love how Porsche puts the tach as the primary instrument! Never owned one, but I have driven many, and always liked the manuals, how they felt, how they drove.

I have had Corvettes since the 1980's, bought my first Porsche a 991.1 8 years ago as a gift to myself when my daughter graduated on time (4 years) from college and I didn't have to pay any more tuition. I must say the precision and quality is truly a step above the Corvette. I would love a C6 Z06 but only have a 2 car garage. P.S. my Cayman S I a 6spd.

Not wanting a vulnerable Imax screen on your dash nor paying for one doesn't, in my book, qualify one as a Luddite.

Knobs and switches may cost more but simply work. Touch screens vary across models and are changed to keep up with the Jones'.

I'm waiting for someone to repeat that screen controls are cheaper as the signals they produce are all which is necessary these days.
I'd rather not have the specter (Sword of Damocles) of an X year old screen failing in today's world of ridiculously expensive -and unavailable- parts.

Luddites are said to have feared for their jobs during the Industrial Revolution. Call me a 'seasoned consumer' who's on to their BS.
I'm not alone....but what are you going to do.
OK, maybe not a true, traditional Luddite, how about I'm a magneto guy in a coil-on-plug world!

Back