Laid off Dec 16, 3rd layoff in two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, just looking to vent here.

My wife and I have had no Christmas this year. I was laid off on Dec 16. This is my third layoff in two years, and my second layoff from this employer.

I have a college education, and I am highly motivated. I cannot understand why I seem to have no value while I see "making it" every day.

My bank account has a balance of zero, and I am looking at selling my home and moving in with my mother in law; I just don't have enough to money/assets to sell to support us until I can hopefully soon find another job.

Have about given up on myself, and have totally given up on our capitalist/free market/corporatism economic system.

Thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:
A layoff is both a monetary problem and a personal pride issue. But the people making the decisions are just bean counters. I wish you well in finding a new job. At least you can get cheap or free medical care.

Is WI a good state to be looking for work? I do not have a clue. Nor do I know what occupation you are in.

Keep your chin up. The economy is getting better so there should be more openings.

Write down on a list all the things in life you are grateful for. Take a few days to do it. It will be a long list. I can assure you.

Maybe and hopefully you will be able to open up a claim with unemployment that will give you soo many benefit weeks to collect for the time being. At least you will have some kinda income coming in. In the meantime look and look harder for work. Good luck to you and your family overall. Don't give up just yet. Stay focused and hopefully a door will open very soon for you.

so sorry to hear that.

I lost my previous job Aug 2012, after 8+yrs of tenure at the same private sector...got a very basic compensation and nothing more, was a bit depressed throughout the ordeal.

But then again: I was able to land a much better job (in public sector) in just mere 3 mnths time afterwards due to my cumulative experience in that particular IT industry...end up doing what I luv to do (and always wanted to do)....and I just celebrated my 1st year of tenure in this new found job....looking forward to many more good years to come.

Good luck and don't despair. Keep looking.

Q.

BTW: keep our monetary spending well under control is the key to sustain your financial situation further. we have 2 cars (I have a 06 fit, missus has a 04 camry, both paid for and no money owed) and spending was well in-check during the period of unemployment.

Work at Wal-Mart. They will hire you and you never have to worry about being laid off. I went to work for them 15 years ago and now I own my own home, raising a family and have no money problems. They treat us really well and even as an hourly associate you can work your way up to $20+ an hour.
The [censored] about Wal-Mart treating their workers poorly and low paying jobs is just that, [censored]! Good luck and stay strong! We will pray for you! God bless!

Last edited:
What's your degree in and how motivated are you to move to a state with a stabler economy?

Moving is a huge deal, I know, but if you're as hard-working as you claim, it [censored] me off that you struggle while ******s make it, too!

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's not much comfort HOWEVER you are certainly not alone, the US economy for main street is about as bad as it can get without being a depression. I have to laugh at the mass media because they keep LYING about the unemployment numbers, the fact is that current there is fewer Americans employed than at anytime since the late 70s. The reason that PHONY UE number keeps going down isn't because more folks are getting jobs, it is because as their benefits end they are dropped from the rolls. Not to mention that U2 is in and of itself a farce. The number they don't want you to look at and NEVER mention in the mass media is U6.

Of course something else just as important is that most of the newly created jobs are lower paying and often part time. Nearly worthless to someone who expects to support themselves and a family.

I here you. And, I understand. Christmas through the new year is unpaid time off for me also. No vacation. No pto. No benefits. And if last year was the example there will be at least a few weeks of unemployment next year (others at work already got notice).
Update Linkedin. Get your resume to date - get your story straight. There is not a lot of options in this new corporate society. Spring is normally the time for hiring new people and you need to be ready.
You are not alone.

just a thought. There are several schools (oddly enough, all from Kansas City) that offer short "continuing ed" seminars. One is "star 12" which is a 12 month pass on taking 3 types of courses over 12 months for $299 total. Around Indianapolis you could squeeze 32? courses in, some live and some on the Internet. They are essentially each 1 day or less. FMLA, Intro to HR, Dealing with Difficult People, Excel Tips, MS Outlook for Business, Marketing on Facebook, OSHA overview, etc. You get a PDF saying you took a course, no grade, credits, etc. Next job opportunity you list the 30? classes you recently took. IU-Bloomington and Yale Law School are both offering similar courses, since new attorneys need a little practical skill to give their new employers.Look up STAR 12, and give it some thought

Once you get your next job, you may wish to live below your means and setup a monthly automatic deposit into a savings account or mutual fund. This way, if/when you get laid off again, you will have a rainy day fund / retirement fund. The trick is to live in a frugal way, so even on a very low salary, you can live on 80% of it and save the other 20% every month. Websites like: www.stretcher.com can help, if you are interested in the frugal / debtfree life style.

You don't provide any information about your education, the field you've been working in, the field you want to work in, the type of company you want to work for or anything else really except your sense of desperation after things going against you for a couple of years.

I don't know what kind of long term opportunities are available in Wixom, MI but Michigan has been one of the toughest employment areas in the country for years now. I'm in Indiana and a lot of people (including my own company) are hiring. You need to expand your horizons, be willing to relocate and get more aggressive in your job search.

I have been in your situation in the past and was without work for 7 1/2 months and during the Christmas Holidays. Keep your chin up as something will certainly come along.

Have you been able to collect on your states unemployment insurance? This is what helped get me throught he dry times.

Though it's been a very long time and I have been blessed to be imployed since, I understand your pain.

I will pray for your situation.

PTL,
CB

I am sorry to hear of your situation. Clearly, you are not alone.

I work for a wealthy guy, in his "corporate flight department". He is relocating from FL, to CA and I will soon be out of a job. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. To top it off, my health has been poor lately. This is not the first time I've been faced with this, and each time, I've pulled through. Not easily, but I've done it!

Like you, we had no Christmas. No presents, no cards, nothing. We are saving what ever we can to get by.

Here is my take on the situation: The world owes me nothing. Life is full of horrors, despair, abject poverty, suffering, disease and death. I am not going to let those negatives define my life. I'll do my very best to pull myself up by my bootstraps and press on.

I have a wonderful wife and family, great relatives and good friends. I even have a few extra pounds of stored energy for "lean times". It's unlikely that I will starve. And, it's unlikely that I will be out on the street completely homeless and living in my car. I'm determined to make the best of it, right up until God takes me home.

One good thing about all of this. Many intelligent people are "hungry" for success. I'd love to join forces with some of them and make a new business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: THE_TROTS

Have about given up on myself, and have totally given up on our capitalist/free market/corporatism economic system.

Of course, if you give up on yourself, you've become depressed and won't function properly. If some form of opportunity comes along, you won't make the effort, further ruining your situation. It's a "graveyard spiral" that needs to be avoided at all costs.

Remember, the capitalist/free market system owes you nothing. You can take advantage of it, or not. I choose to take advantage of it. Even if I have to be a "handyman" and do "day labor". For God's sake, I'll mow lawns if I have to.

quote22.jpg

Remember that in the history of mankind, many many have faced difficulties, trouble and peril that make our current situation pale in comparison. And they survived.

Sometimes I worry about our economic situation and wonder how it will affect my children. But all will survive.

Things change. They always do. I have seen it.

Keep your head up.

P.S. Cujet, "graveyard spiral" excellent choice of words, yeah, Trots don't go there.

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from. Following the economic crash in 2008 I lost my job of almost 10 years. I was in California at the time and the job market was drier than the Mojave. I was out of work from June 08 to February 09 when I finally had to swallow my pride and get a job at Starbucks. You know what? It wasn't a half bad job! At the time I felt like a complete failure since I was college educated with professional skills, but Starbucks treats their employees well and I had benefits.

I moved to Virginia in August of 08. My wife-to-be and I decided that the cost of living and job market was significantly better out here. We had friends in the area and thought we would give it a shot. It took me from August-November 08 to find a job here. It isn't the job I saw myself doing, but you know what? It pays the bills and I have insurance and a matching 401k.

I work in higher education now and my wife is a nanny. We both make below the median income for our area. But we have been able to become completely debt free during these 5 years. I had to realize that relocation and taking jobs that weren't my cup-of-tea was the key to riding out an economic downturn.

Keep your chin up. I know it is hard from personal experience. But keep up the good fight. Be willing to take jobs that you would consider entry level or menial. Be willing to relocate. Never stop looking for work around you or in other locations. Look into the southeast. The economy has remained more stable than the rest of the country. I would posit that this is because it is a more purely capitalistic, self-made area where opportunity can still be found.

Don't give up on yourself or what made the country you live in great. You are the master of your own destiny, not a victim of the times. Look forward, look up and realize that life is to short to worry in inaction.

Praying for you friend and wishing you the best.

Move to a state that has jobs. Just about anybody can get a job in the oil patch in the boom states, ND, Montana, Texas Louisiana. Its HARD work but it PAYS $$$. Some of these have a more favorable tax structure and warmer winter climate than MI.

Can you change oil? Go work at Jiffy lube. When you're moving around you get exercise which improves your mood. I have a liberal arts degree and worked in a tire shop for a spell... it was cool!!! There's plenty of advancement to doing lube jobs at a dealership, on to flat rate tech, service writer, etc.

Or can you get seasonal work teaching skiing, driving an oil delivery truck, etc? A fella's got to stay moving to stay from going crazy.

32.gif
If your email address lampoons diharrea as much as your username here does, change it before sending out resumes.

Alternate point of view:

For 10,000 years of mankind's recorded history, man lived in abject poverty and had no way to combat disease. Man was subject to the whims of the weather for crop growth, the herds of animals for meat and so on. Millions of families starved, froze, roasted, dessicated due to drought and died of simple disease. Heck, just purchasing lumber to make a house was nearly impossible.

Today, Mankind here in America does not have these worries. We are so prosperous, we can build a nice place out of scrap and discarded materials.

Please, please, please understand this. We have it made today! It's a wonderful time to be alive! Have your friends buy you a beer and plan something worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back